muledeer07

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 30, 2008
USA
Name
Wade
Boat
None
I guess this is relative to all reels, I understand all the carbon fiber drag washers get greased with a liberal amount, but I haven't seen it mentioned yet. Does the the bottom washer underneath the gear housing also get greased or does that washer not need it. And if I did grease it would that hurt the performance of the drag? Wanted to say again thanks to everyone who's helped with my rebuilds. The tutorials are so easy even I can do it.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
don't forget to wipe the excess grease of the fiber drag washer...don't need to grease the metal washers

The Chad

Jun 18, 2012
Murrieta, CA
Name
Chad
Boat
SOLD
I use an extremely light costing of grease in virtually everything inside (and wipe most off) as a corrosion prevention.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
To answer your specific question, yes. But it will not affect the drag. It will help fight corrosion. As Chad said, coat the entire inside of the reel with lite bearing grease. Save the Cal's for the carbon washer.

I liberally apply to carbon washer on both sides working it in the fibers. Then attach to spool and wipe off excess. A tooth bush and some blue Yamaha lube that Alan Tani uses or even Phil's Waterproof Bearing grease (used on bicycles).

If you haven't, check out AlanTani.com there is a TON of expert advise on reel maintenance and hot roddin'.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Wait a second...are you asking if the metal drag washer or drag plate needs lube? If that is your question then No it does not. Leave that bare. The grease in the carbon is enough to prevent friction. That is all that greasing the carbon washer does. It prevents static fiction so that the drag is smooth start to finish.

All other parts need a lite coat of grease for corrosion.

muledeer07

Jun 30, 2008
USA
Name
Wade
Boat
None
Just talking about the drag washer on the very bottom. You all answered my question. I just didn't remember seeing any thing mentioned from Alan when installing that particular washer. Thank you all very much for your quick reply's