Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat Name
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
Living out of state and mostly traveling on the road now so I don't keep up on boats like I used to. We'll be working up in OR through the summer and the boss-lady suggested we drop down to San Diego before heading home to New Mexico so I can (hopefully) put some meat in the freezer.

My timeline allows for 2.5 day trips on the following; Top Gun 80, Pacific Star, Constitution, and Ranger 85. I've fished the Pac Star and Ranger, both up north and down south, and have enjoyed them. It's been a few years, though. No experience on the other two. I'm leaning towards joining the Pac Star as they are pushing an ultra limited load of 20. I've fished 2.5's at 25 with them and thought 20 would be perfect. But I'm not committed.

Any opinions and experiences appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Let em eat 74

Jul 12, 2016
Newport Beach
Name
Kevin
I've fished a 2.5 on both the Constitution and Ranger and I enjoyed both trips, but would choose the Constitution out of those two. I believe loads are kept to 23 on her for trips of that length, so it is roomy enough. For the record, I don't think there is a bad boat you listed. Have a great trip.

Reactions: Wandering Blues
Upvote 0

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat Name
none
Top Gun is the only one listed I have fished, I would definitely fish it again. Pacific Queen and Islander are also on my go to list.

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat Name
I hate boats
Ive ridden 3 of the 4.

TG 80. fishy boat. small staterooms (nice bunks. what else do you need?). comfortable lounge. good food. fishy boat. they'll burn fuel to find fish

Ranger 85. fishy boat. big bunk rooms. comfortable lounge. good food. fishy boat. they'll burn fuel to find fish

Pac Star. Good food.

Upvote 0

mindbent

Feb 26, 2015
I.E.
Name
Jon
Boat Name
one that floats
Top Gun is the only one listed I have fished, I would definitely fish it again. Pacific Queen and Islander are also on my go to list.

If you're talking about the Pacific Islander they're out of CISCOS in Oxnard, my favorite boat to the islands. Strait bunks no state rooms or AC. Great crew and Captain. Never had a bad trip.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Florida
Name
Good
Boat Name
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Just an out of the box idea. If you are gonna be in Oregon, why not grab an express charter for albacore. Depoe Bay, Garabaldi, Ilwaco have some amazing access to 20-35# albacore, with ilwaco offering live bait. Aug and Sept are often plug the boat full kinds of trips...assuming the weather is decent. Usually $400-$450 a seat on most boats.

Reactions: wils
Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat Name
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
Just an out of the box idea. If you are gonna be in Oregon, why not grab an express charter for albacore. Depoe Bay, Garabaldi, Ilwaco have some amazing access to 20-35# albacore, with ilwaco offering live bait. Aug and Sept are often plug the boat full kinds of trips...assuming the weather is decent. Usually $400-$450 a seat on most boats.

You know, I didn't even consider that. We will be camp hosting from May til Sept, so that could work. Jesus, it's been a loooooong time since I pulled on a long fin.

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat Name
I hate boats
You know, I didn't even consider that. We will be camp hosting from May til Sept, so that could work. Jesus, it's been a loooooong time since I pulled on a long fin.

Where abouts? Since you'll be up here for an extended period of time, you'll be able to stay in touch with the boats and watch the weather for a good window of opportunity once the fish move in.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
Cali
Name
alby
Boat Name
None
If you go top gun leave your sensitivity at the dock..I like bob and Scott but many people cry about their direct tell it like it is attitude...

Upvote 0