I guess I'm a Penn guy

Bchbum54

Oct 27, 2008
City of Orange
Name
Bayron
Boat
I Wish I had 1
I've been fishing all brands of fishing gear through out my life. I fish more fresh water and the bay then anything real Inshore/Offshore. I do manage to take a handful of full day trips and the occasional 1.5 day trips during the year. Earlier this year I had an opportunity to fish my buddy's Fathom 15ld2 and absolutely fell in love with it. I've never fished 2speed reels before and being a big fan of Avet (I own 3 of them SX, MXL, LX) the 2 speed or Raptors have always been a bit out of my price range. With all the sales and discounts this year on the Penn Fathom line I managed to pick up a couple and now I'm excited for the season to kick off again. As of right now I have as follows:

Fathom 12SD spooled with 300yds of 30lb yellow power pro and about 100yds of 20lb mono topshot.

Fathom 25NSD spooled with 300yds of 50lb yellow power pro and about 100yds of 30lb mono topshot.

Fathom 25NLD2 looking to spool it with 500yds of 65lb yellow Maxcuatro and probably however much 40lb mono topshot will fit.

Fathom 40NLD2 spooled with 500yds of 80lb yellow Maxcuatro and I think 40-60 yards of 50lb mono topshot.

So as I look over all my gear I now find myself asking "Does this make me a Penn guy". I haven't had a chance to fish these yet but I'm impressed with the quality and feel of them and after fishing the one earlier this year I feel confident that the performance won't let me down. I'm especially excited about owning my 1st 2 speed reels. Now I feel like I'm ready slay some yellows/tuna this up coming season. I hope it turns out to be as epic as it was this past season.

wildbunch

MOFO
Oct 11, 2008
Analheim
Name
Bill
Boat
23' "Hardcore"
Fathom ld2 are fish winches. Just turn the handle and up comes dinner. Unbelievable freespool so they cast a mile with super smooth drag. Best reels for the money. I got 5 of them after I tried one. You will be very happy with them but the BFT will not be.Invite them to dinner. :skullbone :Zombie_Ro

mindbent

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 26, 2015
I.E.
Name
Jon
Boat
one that floats
Good reels. Just make sure you know how to preset the drag on those LD's. Never turn preset knob while lever is engaged, only when in freespool. Just an FYI incase you didn't know.

Reactions: Bchbum54

Bchbum54

Oct 27, 2008
City of Orange
Name
Bayron
Boat
I Wish I had 1
I've owned my fair share of jigmasters, senators and squidders. That was way back in the early days. I've also owned Shimanos, newell's and diawa but like most anglers I've upgraded and changed things out throughout the years but now I've falling in love with the Fathom line and own a few.

Last edited:

rexor_rn

Mangingisda
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
I've been fishing all brands of fishing gear through out my life. I fish more fresh water and the bay then anything real Inshore/Offshore. I do manage to take a handful of full day trips and the occasional 1.5 day trips during the year. Earlier this year I had an opportunity to fish my buddy's Fathom 15ld2 and absolutely fell in love with it. I've never fished 2speed reels before and being a big fan of Avet (I own 3 of them SX, MXL, LX) the 2 speed or Raptors have always been a bit out of my price range. With all the sales and discounts this year on the Penn Fathom line I managed to pick up a couple and now I'm excited for the season to kick off again. As of right now I have as follows:

Fathom 12SD spooled with 300yds of 30lb yellow power pro and about 100yds of 20lb mono topshot.

Fathom 25NSD spooled with 300yds of 50lb yellow power pro and about 100yds of 30lb mono topshot.

Fathom 25NLD2 looking to spool it with 500yds of 65lb yellow Maxcuatro and probably however much 40lb mono topshot will fit.

Fathom 40NLD2 spooled with 500yds of 80lb yellow Maxcuatro and I think 40-60 yards of 50lb mono topshot.

So as I look over all my gear I now find myself asking "Does this make me a Penn guy". I haven't had a chance to fish these yet but I'm impressed with the quality and feel of them and after fishing the one earlier this year I feel confident that the performance won't let me down. I'm especially excited about owning my 1st 2 speed reels. Now I feel like I'm ready slay some yellows/tuna this up coming season. I hope it turns out to be as epic as it was this past season.
Nah you are a FATHOM Guy like me :-)

crawdadguy

team greybeard
Feb 21, 2006
NO. County S.D.
Name
crawdad guy
Boat
21 seaswirl DC
I’m hooked too Wildbunch bragged about the fathoms and I respect his opinion so
Now I have 2 fathom 2 speeds
I fathom ii star drag and a squall levelwind