Spaslab

Are you a sick little monkey too?
May 11, 2008
Simi CA USA
Name
Rick
Boat
"Gracie" Defiance 220 EX Admiral
The tax man cometh! Never gonna forget that one I bet! Cool story. Sorry for your loss though.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2007
RPV
Name
Hal
Boat
30' Black Watch, Halibuts Dream
I fought this beast for 3 hours on 30lb p-line xx. until it finally lost its spirit and had succumb to the man.
15 feet away on the surface from 2 gaffs and BOOM!.
The largest mako I have ever seen in my life took one bite.One mouthfull and half my easily 150 lb class tuna was gone.
There was another second smaller 300 to 400 lb class mako that was 8-10 foot long that came in immediatly after we dragged the convulsing carcass over the rail and went straight for my outboard like it was a chew toy or something.

The bigger one kept going back and forth under my boat.Huuuge mako!Scary huge,4 feet longer than the beam of my boat.
We put it in gear and relocated to about a mile away to recollect our thoughts on what had just occured.

View attachment 768474 View attachment 768475

Sad, but at least the Taxman left you the Belly.

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
That is crazy. At least you got the good part!

30# ? Throw that shit in the trash brother. 80# spectra with 60# floro...

Reactions: GarytheCPA
Upvote 0

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
And that is why P-line is on nearly every rig we fish!

Great job knowing your gear limitations and essentially landing a trophy BFT on such light test.

What a rush that must have been. An experience like that will last a lifetime for sure. Looks like plenty of quality meat still left for you to enjoy as well!

Upvote 0

45king

Jig slinger/arrow flinger
May 29, 2005
Sd/Oc
Name
danny
Boat
Hall pass
I didn't notice anyone throwing this up but I had one of my tunas got bit in half on the Apollo and this was when JJ was running it. He said I probably wouldn't wanna keep the fish because of all the nasty bacteria in the Sharks mouth and it will contaminate the meat. He said he would try to cut out the exposed meat and see what's up and he ended up tossing it cause he didn't wanna see anyone get sick from it.
This was from JJ's mouth so take it for what it's worth brutha. Nice fucking fish regardless!

Upvote 0

Mojo1

Apr 24, 2015
Ca
Name
None
Boat
None
I fought this beast for 3 hours on 30lb p-line xx. until it finally lost its spirit and had succumb to the man.
15 feet away on the surface from 2 gaffs and BOOM!.
The largest mako I have ever seen in my life took one bite.One mouthfull and half my easily 150 lb class tuna was gone.
There was another second smaller 300 to 400 lb class mako that was 8-10 foot long that came in immediatly after we dragged the convulsing carcass over the rail and went straight for my outboard like it was a chew toy or something.

The bigger one kept going back and forth under my boat.Huuuge mako!Scary huge,4 feet longer than the beam of my boat.
We put it in gear and relocated to about a mile away to recollect our thoughts on what had just occured.

View attachment 768474 View attachment 768475
Amazing!

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Pretty cool when something like that happens huh? I mean after you realize you can catch another fish but not see a sight like that often.
Also agree with the others about your choice of line size. Bigger line could have got it in earlier and the tax might not have been paid.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
That sucks..reminds me of this one
Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 12.34.01 PM.png

Reactions: One_Leg and chxh8me
Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
It's an incredible story and I'm not tryin to start shit... But usually on a mako bit fish the cuts will be much more ragged and not that clean..
I showed it to a friend who I long lined for many years and he insists its too clean for a mako and that it was a white..

Upvote 0

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
The title of your thread says it all. . . Thats the worse feeling in the. . wait a sec. . . seeing a shark longer than your boat is wide is an uneasy feeling as well. Makes ya want to wear a Man-pon when ya go tuna fishing!!!

Tough break, Karma on your side for the next round!

Upvote 0

Access

Fisherman
Sep 3, 2014
South Bay
Name
Lam
Boat
SeaVee 370Z (One day)
Looks like that fish just went through trauma right there. You can see it in its eyes.

Upvote 0

gunnyslinger

Steady 1’s and 2’s
Mar 15, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Justin
Boat
20’ CC
It's an incredible story and I'm not tryin to start shit... But usually on a mako bit fish the cuts will be much more ragged and not that clean..
I showed it to a friend who I long lined for many years and he insists its too clean for a mako and that it was a white..
The rake marks look to have a sizable gap as well as a very clean cut. I wouldn't rule this out at all.
BUT it's pretty hard to confuse the two when they're huge.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
After doing a little research i think your right.Those rakes look like whitey.It could very well have been.

Upvote 0