apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
After yesterdays experience of no bait at the Dana Point receiver that ultimately led to large fish wanting to eat small bait, I decided to add a Salt Water spinning set up to my quiver. I started looking at the Shimano Thunnus 12000C14 and then I saw a Shimano Stella 20000SW. Still looking I started checking out what kind of pole a guy would use for those types of spinning reels. I checked out the very popular Shimano poles and then I looked at the: OTI-3108-76XXH Tuna Sniper Popping Rod. Unable to make a decision, I bought them all............I now have two spinning reels and cannot wait to try them on some of our tuna.......I can see it all now.......there I am on my Whaler with skittish Bluefin jumping in the distance. I grab my spinning outfit and flip a very small bait a huge distance with Spectra and a Fluorocarbon leader, the Gamakatsu sets with a jolt and I go bendo..........Ahhhhhhhhh
What has been your experience with the spinning reel?

Upvote 0

nefarious235

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
ZZzzzzzzzz bink :(

Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
ZZzzzzzzzz bink :(

I have a Shimano 8 II, 12 II and 25 II along with several Internationals and more. TLD 30 II's, TLD 15's Newells heck, I have a lot of fishing equipment and all of it is old compared to my Talica's. I just thought a little change up might be good and was looking for some insight from the board, not the BORED!!

Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
My $0.02: over the last 2yrs, I've invested less in my equipt and started to apply varying techniques that a lot of the guys posting here suggest has worked for them, or just trying to capture what made me buy the stuff I already have. I guess -for me- I stopped worrying about my gear- other than staying on top of the maint of it- and just FISH! Not enough $$$ to constantly upgrade AND go fishing. I say if you bought, good on ya, give it a try!

Reactions: calisnowhunter
Upvote 0

J.AkuHed

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
Before y'all write Mike off as some kook, ask John J what he thinks of spinners and tuna!

image.jpg

Upvote 0

J.AkuHed

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
From his February trip PV trip on the Maximus! 100#+/- Ahi with a Stella 20000 on the Phenix Titan TPX800M popping rod I built for his trip!

image.jpg

Reactions: Pachodie
Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Yeah baby! That's what I'm talking about right there....Thanks for the shot in the arm......
From his February trip PV trip on the Maximus! 100#+/- Ahi with a Stella 20000 on the Phenix Titan TPX800M popping rod I built for his trip!

View attachment 532709

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
We have caught tuna up to 200# on the stella 20000 in PV. They work, but it will hurt because you can't lay the rod on the rail and they just don't have the torque of a conventional rig. That said, they case a lure or live bait a mile and popper fishing with them is some of the most exciting sheet you'll ever see.

For local stuff a 6000 or 8000 size reel is plenty.

Have fun.

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Spinners actually take intelligence to use...this is why so many "internet bitches of SD" hate them and will only use a conventional reel on a broom stick that is tied down to the rail. :D

As you will notice in the above photos, spinner fishermen also need to be in a little better than "couch potato" shape. :D :D

Plus, there is never ever a case of "professional over-run" (birds nest) when casting....well, except if you twist the line via using a spinning-type jig without a swivel or turning the handle while a fish is taking drag. :D :D :D

Reactions: Aggro
Upvote 0

sydleier

Aug 19, 2012
Playa del Rey
Name
Sydney Leier
Boat
23' cc Mary Esther
In my humble opinion Shimano Terez Rods with Spinning reels are the business. For the money I really love the new Fin-Nor Lethal spinners. In a private boat their are very few fish that you will encounter in So-Cal that cannot be landed with this set-up. And seriously when you hook-up a fish that makes you grab the spool and break off the 3 feet of floro to not get spooled hats off to him. At the end of the day its all about having fun...

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Am I the only one that has seen a rod renter with a spinner catch a JP fish on a sport boat?

Nothing wrong with a spinning reel.I caught my first YT(firecracker)on the new seaforth off Pt Loma when I was 12.It was an orange eagle claw rod w/silver spin reel combo from K-mart.

Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Now those are some great posts. I never thought of the rod on the rail part, but I do not put my rod on the rail anyway with my conventional reels. I am stoked. I bought a new Phenix Titan TPX800M from Ebay since my last post to go along with the OTI-3108-76XXH. I bought it $370 delivered. Looks like a nice stick.

Upvote 0

dorado50

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 5, 2006
San Diego
Name
DAVID
Boat
BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
I never leave the Van Staal at home! Spinners are way too much fun.

Upvote 0

Oldsrtfx

Paladin
Jan 17, 2010
Rocky Mountains
Name
Pete
Boat
Clackacraft
GREAT THREAD.
Finally people having fun with their toys and not intimidated by "conventional wisdom".
Throw that artificial out there and start cranking.
Things are changing.
PR

Reactions: vegasandre
Upvote 0