aj1976

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
Been landlocked for two weekends now. Needed to get out for a couple hours. Took the dogs for a boat ride and brought out the ultra light stick for some flats fishing. Caught this little whipper snapper on 6 pound test -- screeeema! going make some fishcake for dinner. Reports have been kinda slow. hope this helps pass the time.

Attachments

nu2salt

going to fish the islands
Mar 28, 2008
Marietta/GA
Name
Keith
Boat
kayak & float tube
Aw man don't kill the bones. You guys would have a world class fishery if so many of these fish were not killed. I have fished for your bone fish more than once and they are huge. You, or your politicians, do not know what kind of serious money you are wasting every time one gets killed. Florida estimates something like each fish being worth about 40,000 dollars in tourist dollars and fishing industry.
Just my two cents. Nice fish on UL gear

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
Aw man don't kill the bones. You guys would have a world class fishery if so many of these fish were not killed. I have fished for your bone fish more than once and they are huge. You, or your politicians, do not know what kind of serious money you are wasting every time one gets killed. Florida estimates something like each fish being worth about 40,000 dollars in tourist dollars and fishing industry.
Just my two cents. Nice fish on UL gear
Keith, the island of Oahu does have a world class O'io fishery. You like catch big bones -- this is the place. Only now people are catching on and get guide services/guide wanna-bees popping up left and right. By the way, I practice C&R on big bones, small bones, xtra large bones, But when I like eat 'em I eat 'em. Try my wife's fishcake and you will understand. Don't knock it till you tried it. :food-smiley-014: And when I like catch plenty I no use 6 pound test. c'mon.

Attachments

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
Sooo Cool!

Thanks for the report and pics.

I wanna try the fish cakes!

Herefishy

Jun 3, 2009
Honolulu Hawaii USA
Name
Phil
Boat
18.5 Fiberform
Whoa Keith !
You just struck a nerve here. I'm sure they're a few of us who fish in the islands for food and simple enjoyment. Personally I am not and have never been terribly impressed with tourist $$$$ as source of economic prosperity. For me catching one nice sized Oio to eat,share with family and friends has far more economic and cultural significance then to promote tourism. Mahalo and Aloha, Hanapaa !

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
nice going and nice response explaining the 'kill and consume' ethic which is 100% ethical to the fisherman from GA!

tight lines,

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Hey Alan,
Good going on the Oio! Did you fish on the windward side or town side? That is definitely a rush when your UL tackle starts screaming with a nice Oio on the other end. Eh, you too good, can catch fish from boat and from shore almost at will!:appl:

molokaipake

May 8, 2008
Kaunakakai, Molokai, USA
Name
capt clay
Boat
24 foot power catamaran, "Hallelujah Hou", 18 foot Prima Sea flatsboat, "Keu" for flyfishing
Just got my small boat all ready for some serious flyfishing action. A few weeks ago, I decided to have some custom aluminum fabrication made to it, to insure the safety of my clients with the casting platform on the bow. I also had a removable sissy bar made to keep myself from falling off the poling platform while I'm up there. The view is awesome from up there, you can see fish way off in the distance compared to what it was like standing on the transom. I'm happy with it and think its totally functional for what I do and don't think there's another boat equipped like it in Hawaii.
Hallelujah Hou Fishing: The best charter fishing and sport fishing adventures on Molokai, Hawaii.

Attachments

Herefishy

Jun 3, 2009
Honolulu Hawaii USA
Name
Phil
Boat
18.5 Fiberform
AJ, nice outing. You got some reel action, some kau kau, got to hang with the dawgs, they look like they having just as much fun as you. Nice fish and glad you feeling better.
Sometimes less is more. Aloha & Hanapaa !

captdon1

Jun 4, 2009
kaneohe, hi.
Name
don
Boat
33' kamicraft "KIMI ANN"
nice one allan ."LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE". boat should be ready by tues. i'll give you a buzz see ya laters capt don.:fighting0061:

nu2salt

Mar 28, 2008
Marietta/GA
Name
Keith
Boat
kayak & float tube
I knew I would strike a nerve and that it was not going to come out as I was hoping. I guess I should have created the reply and then come back later and re read it. I was not trying to upset anyone. I understand you guys have a great bone fish (O'io) fishery, but I was just saying it could be World Class. Right now it is not world class, but on the brink. I may be from Georgia (which is a long way from you guys), but I have done my research and spoken with many people about the fishery in the Islands, and I am speaking from what I have learned and heard, not just my opinion. I have been told that many people in the islands will eat what ever comes out of the water, and that this is hurting the fishery. I know not everyone does this, just as eevryone in the south does not live in a trailer (as might be portrayed on a news cast after a major event like a flood or tornado).
I have been many places in this World, and the onlyone that calls me back is Hawaii. I wish I could move there today and fish this wonderful place everyday.
That boat looks like a serious platform for fly fishing. I know fly fishing is not the preferred way of fishing there but it is an awesome way to bring one to the boat. Good luck with the boat, and forgive me for upsetting anyone with my comments.
Next time I am in Hawaii I will look you up so I can try your wife's fish cake.
Take care!

LongRigger

Jul 1, 2009
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Name
John
Boat
50 ft Custom Sportfisher
thats a donkey bonefish man, way to go.
mind given some directions to were you caught it? i usually fish the bridge in hawaii kai for them dunking.

bonefish are great eating, i had em poke style the other week, unreal tasting.

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
Just got my small boat all ready for some serious flyfishing action. A few weeks ago, I decided to have some custom aluminum fabrication made to it, to insure the safety of my clients with the casting platform on the bow. I also had a removable sissy bar made to keep myself from falling off the poling platform while I'm up there. The view is awesome from up there, you can see fish way off in the distance compared to what it was like standing on the transom. I'm happy with it and think its totally functional for what I do and don't think there's another boat equipped like it in Hawaii.
Hallelujah Hou Fishing: The best charter fishing and sport fishing adventures on Molokai, Hawaii.
I can only imagine the view from up there. It must be nice to just pole around the flats and see what you can find. I think most of the attraction to "sight" fishing is catching an "eyeful" rather than a cooler full of fish. Definitely a solid flats fishing platform you got there Captain.

bhsquid

Mar 16, 2008
Miri Malaysia
Name
Jason
Boat
boatless for now
The biggest bone fish in the world come from Aitutaki in the Cook Islands. You don't hear anything about it because the locals have decided that they would rather eat them than have tourist come and fish for them. When talking to the locals there is mixed feelings about it. Let a the debate is should we let a couple of people make money or feed the island.

Seekin' Makaira

Dec 16, 2007
North Carolina
Name
JB
Boat
None now
I knew I would strike a nerve and that it was not going to come out as I was hoping. I guess I should have created the reply and then come back later and re read it. I was not trying to upset anyone. I understand you guys have a great bone fish (O'io) fishery, but I was just saying it could be World Class. Right now it is not world class, but on the brink. I may be from Georgia (which is a long way from you guys), but I have done my research and spoken with many people about the fishery in the Islands, and I am speaking from what I have learned and heard, not just my opinion. I have been told that many people in the islands will eat what ever comes out of the water, and that this is hurting the fishery. I know not everyone does this, just as everyone in the south does not live in a trailer (as might be portrayed on a news cast after a major event like a flood or tornado).
I have been many places in this World, and the onlyone that calls me back is Hawaii. I wish I could move there today and fish this wonderful place everyday.
That boat looks like a serious platform for fly fishing. I know fly fishing is not the preferred way of fishing there but it is an awesome way to bring one to the boat. Good luck with the boat, and forgive me for upsetting anyone with my comments.
Next time I am in Hawaii I will look you up so I can try your wife's fish cake.
Take care!

So you've talked to some people, snooped around on the net, maybe even read a few issues of Hawaii Fishing News. Oh, and you've fished there a handful of times. Great. You don't live there, you don't fish the places they do regularly, and your opinion on the subject is worth exactly zero. You know it isn't a "world class" fishery? How, because that's what you've heard? That's like looking in the paper, seeing the Yankees lose one game and saying they suck. The thing you've overlooked is 100 wins, i.e....the big picture. Telling someone how things are while sitting behind a computer 4500 miles away is just ignorant. And talking about a subject based entirely on second hand knowledge is nothing short of stupid. You can't tell a person how to live their life until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

captdon1

Jun 4, 2009
kaneohe, hi.
Name
don
Boat
33' kamicraft "KIMI ANN"
Alan catch what you like, eat what you like, and and release what you like,(and i know first hand that you do release and conserve.) it's your prerogative enjoy life !!:pee:

aloha captdon

kaimikai

Oct 17, 2007
kauai
Name
hank
Boat
my boat is gone....sigh...
yeah....what capt don said!!!!

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
yo - I don't think we need to be lectured about the value of a fishing industry - for my money, Kona has arguably the most professional, best equipped and most competitively priced large marlin set up for tourists/anglers (both experienced and first timers) in the world...second only to perhaps Cairns, Australia...yeah, my man read something somewhere and can touch type...

hiloboy

Okinawaiian Sencho
Feb 26, 2009
Okinawa Japan
Name
Donald
Boat
Yamaha 25 SR Flybridge
So you've talked to some people, snooped around on the net, maybe even read a few issues of Hawaii Fishing News. Oh, and you've fished there a handful of times. Great. You don't live there, you don't fish the places they do regularly, and your opinion on the subject is worth exactly zero. You know it isn't a "world class" fishery? How, because that's what you've heard? That's like looking in the paper, seeing the Yankees lose one game and saying they suck. The thing you've overlooked is 100 wins, i.e....the big picture. Telling someone how things are while sitting behind a computer 4500 miles away is just ignorant. And talking about a subject based entirely on second hand knowledge is nothing short of stupid. You can't tell a person how to live their life until you've walked a mile in their shoes.
Bruddah relax:smoking33: no need fo get huhu! I think he made his point without stepping on anybody's toes!

Fred Archer

Big Game's the Name
May 16, 2004
Laguna Niguel/Cabo
Name
Captain Fred Archer
Boat
36 Custom (Cabo)
Cappy Clay,

That is one really neat little flats boat that should be a blast to fish from for da bones, either with fly or spin gear. Buying a flats boat is one thing, modifying a skiff and designing one is pretty special in my eyes, at least. You are going to find that that platform is going to increase the spotting of those fish greatly improved.

I have caught bonefish in Hawaii many years ago and I concur that there are some real monsters there. Of course, I've caught a lot more elsewhere; in Florida, the Bahamas, other Caribbean venues and in Mexico. I released a lot of them, but was the scourge of the effete flats guys who caught me chumming them up and using cane poles to catch them for blue marlin bait, which they happen to be great for. They're tough as hell, will troll all day, and Joe Judge, a buddy of mine, won several consequitive Bahamas Billfish Championship Series' using them - and not telling anyone.

I also wasn't above eating a couple once in a while, either. The guys who are saying that fish cakes made from them are absolutely delicious are spot on. The bones eat shrimp and crabs and like all fish that feast on that sort of fodder, they are very good eating. Our cake recipe isn't important here and everyone who makes them has their own special ones.

The way we got the meat off of these very boney fish might be common knowledge for some, but maybe not for others. The way that we did it was to use a rolling pin to squash the meat of the whole fish, skin and all. We'd pound and also "roll it" with the rolling pin to loosen up the meat, then cut a slit in the skin and squeeze the meat out, like toothpaste from a tube. The rolling pin came in handy again to squeeze the meat out. Do one side, then repeat on the other if needed.

Bonefish are a "glory species" to many who absolutely do not believe in killing them for any reason. All good, a personal decision that yes, is good for the population, but again, a personal decision that is best kept that way. IMO Artesenal fishermen and those who want to keep some fish for food - hopefully releasing the big breeders with the good genes, but that too is personal and should not be dictated by those from other parts of the world - have every right to keep and release based on their own personal ethics and thoughts.

As one who has not only eaten bonefish, but who has "stooped" to using them for marlin and big ono and tuna bait, I suppose that I could be considered a pariah to the release crowd. So be it...they are one of the best natural trolling baits ever and if I could, I'd still be taking a few for my long riggers as candy for dem big blue ones in particular! My bones didn't all get released, but every black and blue marlin that they caught for me sure did, and since they are in more population trouble than the worldwide bonefish population (ain't nobody longlining and gillnetting bonefish), I figure it's a wash if a few bones died so that my passengers and I got to play with some big blue ladies that were released after "the dance" was over.

One man's opinion, of course.

Again, nice job on the flats boat, Cappy Clay...got any canepoles??

The drawing is blue marlin candy from the Marlin Book...

Attachments

nu2salt

Mar 28, 2008
Marietta/GA
Name
Keith
Boat
kayak & float tube
seekin', man calm down bud. I think I said I realized that my first post may need to be reread and revised (in my second post), if you bothered to read that one. I really dont think I am ignorant or stupid because I have read tons of stuff from first hand accounts and have fished there a few times, and spoken to a few local fisherman. Forgive me for not being an islander, but when I put that request in my mom and dad vetoed the vote and had me in Georgia. I would say I am doing a pretty good job of fishing the islands twice in my short life.
If people want to eat all of the bone fish in Hawaii, and the other place you mentioned, more power to them. But, as a sport fisherman, not a meat fisherman, I hate to see such a precious resource depleted.
Too bad if I touched nerve, and it seems obvious that I care about the fishing in the islands or I would not be reading posts like this dip shit. Do you think I just happened to get on the net 4500 miles away and stumbled across this one post.
Liek they said in the other post relax man.
There is no reason to get upset. I have not outed anyone or called anyone any harmful or hurtful things. I was stating my opinion, and just for your information there is nothing wrong (ever) with anyone's opinion. We are each entitled to our own, and if you dont like it then that is your problem. Mahalo for you time, Aloha

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
seekin', man calm down bud. I think I said I realized that my first post may need to be reread and revised (in my second post), if you bothered to read that one. I really dont think I am ignorant or stupid because I have read tons of stuff from first hand accounts and have fished there a few times, and spoken to a few local fisherman. Forgive me for not being an islander, but when I put that request in my mom and dad vetoed the vote and had me in Georgia. I would say I am doing a pretty good job of fishing the islands twice in my short life.
If people want to eat all of the bone fish in Hawaii, and the other place you mentioned, more power to them. But, as a sport fisherman, not a meat fisherman, I hate to see such a precious resource depleted.
Too bad if I touched nerve, and it seems obvious that I care about the fishing in the islands or I would not be reading posts like this dip shit. Do you think I just happened to get on the net 4500 miles away and stumbled across this one post.
Liek they said in the other post relax man.
There is no reason to get upset. I have not outed anyone or called anyone any harmful or hurtful things. I was stating my opinion, and just for your information there is nothing wrong (ever) with anyone's opinion. We are each entitled to our own, and if you dont like it then that is your problem. Mahalo for you time, Aloha
"...there is nothing wrong (ever) with anyone's opinion." wow - "new to salt" indeed...thanks for your insights...

tight lines,

nu2salt

Mar 28, 2008
Marietta/GA
Name
Keith
Boat
kayak & float tube
you are very welcome!
glad I could help.

for those that might not see it that way, it is not the opinoin that people have that causes the problem, it is the reaction from others that causes the problem.
Now, when you have someone in a position to make policy or change and they make that change based soley on their opnion (and no factual research) then there is a problem, but that is not a problem with the opinion itself.

Thanks again, and tight lines. Hopefully one day I can get back to the islands and make my next Marlin a grander :)

Hee_Haw

Oct 14, 2009
Molokai to Honolulu, HI USA
Name
Kyle
Boat
9' OK Frenzy, "Tupperware Maru"
I just "stumbled" on to BD thanks to a friend who is already on here, and it's good to express one's opinions on a discussion forum to be disseminated and thereby critiqued, discussed, and generally have good round-table banter.

It's normal for self-appointed "experts" to offer advice or opinion, and no harm by a few words when those who read them take them with a grain of salt, eh? (pun kind of intended).

That out of the way, Hawaii (as well as many Pacific Islanders) natives have had fish and seafood as part of their diets for generations. It's normal for us to catch something from the sea, take it home, and consume it. It's the lifestyle of coastal living. We eat many species that other cultures would consider "rubbish", or "sacred", and unfortunately, the bonefish is one prized species for the dinner table (at least it is for me...my favorite...RAW!...google "lomi o'io" to see)

The problem, and I will call it that, is when someone decides to GROSSLY PROFIT from it, be it an ocean-harvesting longliner, a poorly run charter boat that doesn't practice catch-and-release for unwanted consumption fish, or those who use methods near shore that basically "scrape clean" the marine life, oftentimes under legal sizes, and not to sustain themselves, but to MAKE MONEY. LOTS OF IT.

It's like those who proudly display a picture of 100s of fish after a dive trip or shore session, and don't realize that it looks absolutely irresponsible for THREE men to have 75-100 fish on display, as though it were some sort of masculine feat.

I like what bhsquid said;
...the debate is should we let a couple of people make money or feed the island.
RESPONSIBLE fishing is what sustains a fishery, and can bring back a depleted one.

CAPTAIN CLAY; Why wasn't that rig on the Hiki No, when I was still living on Molokai? Now I have to find a way to head back to try that bad boy out. Thanks for making me homesick for Molokai. :( We'll be back soon enough! Fly fishing on Oahu for bones is amazing, and they DO practice C&R for the non-consumption Bones. But you know when I get my first one...I'll let it go...but the second? :D