habitual scopolamine abuser
Dec 14, 2011
San Clemente
Name
Scott
Boat
Sin Barco
"As you can see, a lot of other boats around here--very crowded area."
(Pan to empty ocean spackled with foamers).

Lesson in there.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
17 Aquasport
Great report, and oddly enough I also agree, I would prefer to find paddy yellowtail or some great calico fishing, or even 20-40 pound yellowfin on bait rather than using all of the big gear.(however, I would like to hook one on the right gear one day to put the favor back on my side) Thanks for all of your Writing Erik, you share tons of info from years on the water that some of us with land jobs may never get to experience. I appreciate the time you take to write these.

Upvote 0

bohuntr

Sep 7, 2017
San Jose, CA
Name
Bill Tittle
Boat
None
Great report! I am new to this San Diego Tuna fishing. I had a very similar experience last weekend with the same size gear and a monster tuna. Interestingly enough it ended the same way, the fish is in the pacific somewhere after an 1 hour 15 minute battle. 80 lb braid exploded and the fish was gone. I wouldn't have played it any other way. Plenty of great tips in your write-up thank you!

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
you fuckers that say I'd rather fish bass remind me of someone I've fished with quite a few times...he used to spout that nonsense about rather be bass fishing .....then one day he had an experience much this one.
he went on and on about the foamers the line screaming off the reels etc...I loved listening to him relate how cool it was..you all know him....lol

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Great write up Erik .

We struck out yesterday. We started at the same area all the others were at. Later finding our own fish all alone. My thought is, while I don't particularly enjoy fighting a giant for an extended amount of time. I do prefer to land them when I do!

Reactions: get some
Upvote 0

Dan Salazar

Aug 23, 2014
Costa Mesa
Name
Dan Salazar
Boat
Rum Runner
Your post was very informative and I've learned a lot. I knew about the idea of playing in the fish it's a typical technique that used in Mexico on the big blue and black marlins which go dead Via heart attack. I personally prefer catching big fish on Skiffs as opposed to sport boats.
Great post.

Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
  • Aug 7, 2012
    All over the 805
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    OnTheWater
    Great info as always! Perhaps if you had a 5ft stick, 50 wide reel, 200lb braid, and you could land the tuna in 15 minutes, it might be more fun haha just make sure you've been eating your wheaties!

Upvote 0

Killerskiff

The end is near
    Jul 5, 2008
    Hootervillle
    Name
    JD
    Boat
    Obliviousone
    That was a great write up and like the way you roll (smart decisions). Even though you didn't deck it and got your ass kicked, I still think it was great day to say the least. My PB BFT was 135 on the queen with 30 LB Izor, on a Newell 332, 3 1/2 hours of pure pain but it can be done. Moral of the story, don't hunt bears with a BB guns...

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Thanks, Erik! Great report and excellent pictures. Throwing the hook is always a heartbreaker. I was interested to read your description of the boat tactics used. In the several fights with big fish that I have been in from the back of cruisers, the captains all pivoted the boat so that the stern was pointed at the fish, and the fish was kept at an angle to the boat so that the line was bowed in the water -- tight, but with a definite belly in the line, not just pointed straight at the fish. I talked with one captain about it after the fight, and he showed me his plotter. It was a giant concentric circle, showing how he had pivoted around the fish (a 400-ish blue marlin) during the whole fight, and told me that he wanted to fish to fight the drag of the line in the water more than a straight pulling contest with the fisherman. Your method seems like a very valid variation on the theme.

Upvote 0

get some

So Cal Editor
    BD Writer
    May 1, 2005
    LBC
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    Great info as always! Perhaps if you had a 5ft stick, 50 wide reel, 200lb braid, and you could land the tuna in 15 minutes, it might be more fun haha just make sure you've been eating your wheaties!
    Make sure Matt eats his Wheaties. I like driving the boat it’s much less physically taxing lol

Upvote 0

Chuck Roast

Jul 16, 2012
    LA CA USA
    Name
    Chuck Roast
    Boat
    20' Skip
    Nothing like going bass fishing and have a huge tuna do a job on you, sounds like alot of fun to me, and a great story! Thanks for sharing, great story, enjoyable read.

Upvote 0

fishpainter

Pro bed wetter
    Dec 17, 2004
    huntington beach
    www.fishheadart.com
    Name
    matt
    Boat
    1860 Blazer Bay"SNOOK HUNTER"
    It was fun for about 5 minutes. Those big ones are bullshit. When we slid up on the first foamer i said "this is scary"...this size of fish is not my cup of tea.You guys can catch all the giants..leave the kelp beds to us..and the rod and reel held up perfect..just completely out classed.

Upvote 0

998R

May 22, 2008
    san diego
    Name
    M
    Boat
    Blue Monkey, BM2
    Trinidad’s have been engineered to make people who buy them type baseless claims on web forums. Something about the finish used in manufacturing.

You make no sense. I’ve slayed multiple fish with Trinidad and Tranx in record time.

You must be a penn fanboy

Upvote 0

get some

So Cal Editor
    BD Writer
    May 1, 2005
    LBC
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    You make no sense. I’ve slayed multiple fish with Trinidad and Tranx in record time.

You must be a penn fanboy
    I know this isn’t directed at my comment but I just wanted to put out there that I was joking in my original post.
    Trinidads are great reels but a Trinidad 20 is no better suited for fighting a 200 pound tuna than the 25n fathom. Neither reel produces sufficient drag to fight that size fish in the manner we were fighting it. We were significantly exceeding the reel’s maximum drag capability by holding the spool with both hands to prevent line from coming off it. We knew that this was a high risk strategy but neither of us were interested in fighting the thing for two or three hours. Pulling the hook was not an unexpected result of the extreme pressure we put on it during the hour we fought it. Our fault, not the rod or reel’s...

Upvote 0