I caught offshore fever and need help gearing up

Peteryang

Jul 23, 2021
Stockton ca
Name
Peter Yang
Boat
Cloudnine
I have been on three party boats multi day trips so far. The first one I would like to forget. A boring and expensive boat ride. One yellowtail caught between the 25 plus anglers on a 1.5 trip. The next trip I took a week later was much better. I was able to land 4 of 4 football sized tuna on a dobyns swimbait rod and a 401 tranx. Most recently we located a kelp forest and smashed the yellowtail. 227 to the boat for the 25 of us. 11 yt for me personally. I didn't have the gear for throwing lures or a big cow rig. I backordered a uc viper 7 6 80-130. Im deciding between the shimano Talica 25 or accurate bv2 1000 for jigging at nights. I'm set on those reels cause of the light weight of it. I want a spinning setup to throw poppers and need help with a spinning rod around 8 ft. I will be pairing it with a 8-10k saltiga running 65 lb braid. Any help, input and opinions would be greatly appreciated .

20210719_184236.jpg

123_1.jpeg

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Try posting this on CHIT CHAT or Maybe Tackle
    Threads. Nice fish you caught so far.
    I'd get an Avet EX 80/3 3-speed reel !!
    Good Luck on your next trips.

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    It's called fishing not catching!

Do pay attention to what is going on each time you fish! If nobody is getting bit.... go lighter! Way lighter! The captain isn't just driving around on a good boat... he is putting you on fish! If that captain were on a private boat he would likely be driving home with fish...

You don't need to buy your way into catching fish by getting caught up in the latest trends... you need to find out why some guys always ask for fillet or gill and gut! The teachers of techniques are teachers and salesman.

That said you do you and good luck! Fishing is awesome, rewarding, and humbling!

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
    May 14, 2009
    San Diego/Tacoma USA
    Name
    Marcel
    Boat
    Limited load cattle car
    If you're set on Accurate, you can even go lighter with the Valiant BV2-800. Plenty of reel for bigger fish. (I killed a 75 lb'er on the the smaller BV2-500) With that UC rod I'd personally pair it to a Makaira 16. As mentioned above, a Penn 16 VISX or even a 12 would be my 2nd choice. Easy to drop the coin? Get a Penn Torque then. Reel for the spinning rod, I'd stick with the Saltiga/Stella 10000, more drag and line capacity. Plus too many stories of friend's buyer remorse on the smaller 8000 size. Tons of 8 foot factory rods to match it so someone else may chime in, brand wise. I like to wrap my own custom rods now so my blank choice for surface lures or poppers would be a Thrasher Rods RAW 85 & 86 or the slightly shorter TRMF-76H. Super strong and light...

Last edited:
    Reactions: MDC
    Upvote 0