RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Cut the shit guys he has a legitimate question. Find a member here willing to do a ride along or buddie boat "show you the ropes" Tons to know and learn, If you can get past the jokers and trolls here you might get some good info. Im in long Beach fish during the week, Hit me if your in my area GOOD LUCK and congrats on your new boat sir!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

kimbo

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 24, 2008
    orange county
    Name
    Batman
    Boat
    21' cabo
    Cut the shit guys he has a legitimate question. Find a member here willing to to take you out and buddie boat "show you the ropes" Tons to know and learn, If you can get past the jokers and trolls here you might get some good info. Im in long Beach fish during the week, Hit me if your in my area GOOD LUCK to you sir!
    Great advice from a great guy.

Upvote 0

asalas0684

Almost A Member
    Mar 31, 2016
    Madera ca
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Cut the shit guys he has a legitimate question. Find a member here willing to do a ride along or buddie boat "show you the ropes" Tons to know and learn, If you can get past the jokers and trolls here you might get some good info. Im in long Beach fish during the week, Hit me if your in my area GOOD LUCK and congrats on your new boat sir!
    Thank you

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Yes, invite a couple of previous boat owners fishing. Give priority to whomever owned and fished tuna from a boat most similar to yours. Plus get some CG courses.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

asalas0684

Almost A Member
    Mar 31, 2016
    Madera ca
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None

Attachments

• CCDDAC91-AEAD-4323-9D2B-B66932EA7D11.png
      CCDDAC91-AEAD-4323-9D2B-B66932EA7D11.png
      3.9 MB · Views: 65
    Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Welcome bro.

It takes a while to have consistent success fishing offshore. Going from not have driven your boat in the ocean before to fishing offshore for tuna is a pretty steep step. It takes time to build trust for a new skiff.

Purchase boat towing insurance and get all of your saftey gear in line, not just what is required by the regs.

I'd recommend staying local fishing inshore for a while. Plenty of fun fishing kelp, oil rigs, local banks, etc. The tuna season for most private boaters isnt until later (July - Oct) so you have some time to get familiar with everything.

if you are set on tuna hunting I recommend 9 mile bank until you trust your skill and skiff. Thirty miles+ is a long way from home.

A couple of good recommendations are above, but you have to provide a ton more info if you want better advice.

What is your experience offshore?
    Where are you located?
    Where do you prefer to launch?
    Fuel capacity?
    How far can you go on a tank of gas in good/bad conditions?
    Bait tank? How many gallons?

Good luck!

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Find someone who knows off shore boating and fishing to take out the first few times you go out.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    New Boat to you? Stay local for at least ten trips. I had an 16' aluminum skiff for thirty years; that gets you experience on the water. Got a new boat last year, 19' Arima Cuddy Cabin. I have logged my 10 trips and an island trip is comming. Still I don't know everything and what to expect. I am prepared with safety equiptment and back ups and know a lot of the ins and outs about the boat now. I've stayed out when the weather went shitty and have travelled down the coast for thirty miles to check range and make sure no problems on a nonstop cruise.

Be SAFE and congratulations newb.

BoatUS a must.

Last edited:
    Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    New Boat to you? Stay local for at least ten trips. I had an 16' aluminum skiff for thirty years; that gets you experience on the water. Got a new boat last year, 19' Arima Cuddy Cabin. I have logged my 10 trips and an island trip is comming. Still I don't know everything and what to expect. I am prepared with safety equiptment and back ups and know a lot of the ins and outs about the boat now. I've stayed out when the weather went shitty and have travelled down the coast for thirty miles to check range and make sure no problems on a nonstop cruise.

Be SAFE and congratulations newb.

BoatUS a must.

Catalina is nothin for that Arima! I’ve had chicken hawk out there a bunch of times. Gets a little wet in the afternoon chop, but point your bow up and surf the swells

If it’s real snotty, zig zag

Upvote 0