The American Tackle Company

Mr. Sunshine

Jul 6, 2008
OC, CA
Name
Barry
Boat
none
I got this rod that I made a few years back to repair a couple guides. Anybody have any ideas what could have gone wrong w/ this hypalon? Bad batch? He doesn't think it got bleached on a boat, or cleaned w/ anything. I haven't seen this before.

I've light sanded hypalon before but am concerned that this would be crumbling. It is still flexible, and could be used. The owner doesn't care for the heat shrink or I'd cover it w/ that.

IMG_3321.JPG

Upvote 0

JTrelikes

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 3, 2006
    Lakeside, CA
    Name
    Jim Trelikes
    Boat
    Bubba Jean 28
    I've seen it. Not sure why it happens........

I have turned it back down. Take a bit off though, to get back down to a nice surface. Too bad he's not more open to closing it up with the shrink.

Reactions: Mr. Sunshine
    Upvote 0

Mr. Sunshine

Jul 6, 2008
    OC, CA
    Name
    Barry
    Boat
    none
    I've seen it too, and can tell you 100% sure its from bleach and sun, dont believe me? take a piece of hypolon and spray some bleach on it and leave it out in the sun for a day or two, you'll see the same effect
    I believe you Bill. Seen it too many times on boats. I know he treats his stuff very well at home. Just not where you can't control it. Thanks!.

Upvote 0

Mr. Sunshine

Jul 6, 2008
    OC, CA
    Name
    Barry
    Boat
    none
    I've seen it. Not sure why it happens........

I have turned it back down. Take a bit off though, to get back down to a nice surface. Too bad he's not more open to closing it up with the shrink.
    Thanks Jim. I'd rather not strip down a 9' rod to replace a piece of hypalon. Maybe I can interest him in trying a wrap on Winn Grip.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Not sure why he'd be so opposed to x-flock, it's great stuff.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
    Carp, CA, USA
    Name
    Steve T.
    Boat
    soon2B
    I've seen it on boat rods on LR trips.
    Rods that get left out on deck (not in the bait tank) while the deckhands are scrubbing the boat down on the way home get a generous splashing of bleach.

Upvote 0

JTrelikes

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 3, 2006
    Lakeside, CA
    Name
    Jim Trelikes
    Boat
    Bubba Jean 28
    Ah.......boat rods and bleach, that adds up now in my collective recall. Makes total sense. ;)

Upvote 0

Latest posts