HX and JX upgrades

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by awasaro1, Mar 11, 2018.

1. awasaro1

awasaro1 fish-on

Name:
    nino
    Boat:
    sold it
    Went and saw Dave Rocchi (ROCKY) on Saturday to have my HX and JX Raptor upgraded and because of the fishing that i do , 8 day is my max trip so far , Rocky said that he could do it but it wasn't necessary cause what he duz is more in line for the BIGGER fish and longer trips so he said i should just update my reels to better bearings . He could of just said sure i'l do it and took my money but was very upfront and cool about it . Class act . THANKS ROCKY .

BrentH, Jim Schmitt, alulunga and 4 others like this.
  2. Jim Schmitt

Jim Schmitt Schmitty

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    I'm sending a SX and Jx Raptor to Rocky. Theses are not big fish reels per say but he will make them better then stock. Can't wait to fish em after he's done.
    Jim
    :cheers:

3. BrentH

BrentH Member

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    Yeah
    Very cool! Can you PM me what he charged to do the HX? Have one I’d like to get upgraded.

4. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    I'm curious....what does he do to a great reel to make it better...i know in the old days the internationals had horrible free spool out of the box and some converted reels to 2 speeds before manufacturers offered it.
    so what is he improving?

5. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    He's improving his financial situation.

yakdout likes this.
  6. awasaro1

awasaro1 fish-on

Name:
    nino
    Boat:
    sold it
  7. HBtuna

HBtuna Newbie

Name:
    Alan Hermer
    Boat:
    Excel
    He blueprints it, installs a thrust bearing and better grade spool bearings, and installs a harder steel spool shaft (important in the HXW for bigger fish). The reel casts better, pulls more drag, and is much smoother.

Goosed10, rdrblck66 and Olddog8 like this.
  8. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Would you care to share the cost for these upgrades?

9. HBtuna

HBtuna Newbie

Name:
    Alan Hermer
    Boat:
    Excel
    As I recall, $135. Much less without the thrust bearing and new spool shaft.

Cubeye likes this.
  10. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    I own two HXW Raptors and haven't had any problems with them. They cast well, free spool is fantastic, and have good drag and very little "binding" when the reel is put in the "full" position. They work well right out of the box.

Has anyone had any experience with the shaft binding or bending on these reels? I haven't heard of any, but I have witnessed a few Cows landed on these reels, and all of them worked fine after the fish was landed. So why "upgrade"?

In my opinion, if this reel had a engineering flaw, Cal Sheets would be doing the upgrades.

I've taken apart these reels, and the design is simple and efficient. I've also taken apart my Okuma Makaira reels and the drag system looks very similar to the Raptors. Perhaps they copied Avets design?

11. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Yes, that would be Ray Lemme for the drag upgrades and Cal Sheets for the two speeds. When Ray passed, Cal took over.

12. mberggre

mberggre Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    N/A
    I have my reels upgraded by Rocky because of what I’m intend to do with them. Since I fish bait with my hx and hxw, I have him pull out the MC and tweak the spool bearings to maximize freespool. I could do this work myself but my reels need other work done to suit my Fishing style.

I yo-yo with both and fish high drag pressures (80-100lb leader) so the thrust bearing makes sense to reduce handle bind. Grinding a pl68 or a brass yo-yo jig is tiring and reducing side load helps.

Finally, I have him upgrade the spool shafts in wider Avets because I tweaked the spool shafts in two mxl raptors fishing 50lb line. When this happens the spool rubs on the frame. It doesn’t take that much drag pressure for this to happen and I’ll fish 40+ lbs of drag at the end game or yo-yo.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    rdrblck66, coastalwerks and Cubeye like this.