I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Really? I mean really?

This is what I'm dealing with. Why couldn't they have just put the Y one bay over and had a straight shot to both rooms? This would give our bedroom one 90, instead of three (really tight ones too). To these installers, it was rocket science I guess. Oh the duct is filthy because it's right below a gable vent. Like the lack of vapor barrier? It's everywhere. Good ol UV on 1987 ducting. Sorry about the blurry picture. No auto focus in the dark.

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
Have you ever seen the flex jockeys that install that stuff in residential track homes?......:rofl:........

Upvote 0

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Have you ever seen the flex jockeys that install that stuff in residential track homes?......:rofl:........

Ya, I remember our house being built. Not an American to be found... Shitty workmanship in every trade.

Those were crazy days. In the six months it took to build our house the sale price for that model went from $150K to 230K. There was a waiting list of people willing to buy our house for 230 if we fell through. Then it went up to ~500, then down to the 3's. Then the foreclosures. People mailed in the keys. Then up to the 8s and back down to the 5s. Then the foreclosures REALLY happened. What a ride. For us, it paid to stay put and not mess with the mortgage.

Upvote 0

Tues

Not my job...
Mar 17, 2008
Saluki
Name
Penis
Reminds me of my place when I moved in.

Shea Home.

I was changing a light switch and had cold air blowing out of the box in the wall. Went upstairs, and the duct had a wye that went no where. They plugged it with shop towels and over time the towels blew out.

House built in 99, I moved in 2002.

Got to love being a homeowner.

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
For as many contractors, there are at least a few stories per contractor in regards LA dept of building & safety. My expertise is residential and there are similar stories there. My bet is that the lawyers in your friends' case knew that there would be no money in it for them and your friend would still be out those same 7 digits. ;)

Upvote 0

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
My bet is that the lawyers in your friends' case knew that there would be no money in it for them and your friend would still be out those same 7 digits. ;)

The lawyers told him the truth. He had no case. The city of LA is not responsible for the errors of its employees, which is really all a department is--a bunch of overpaid city employees with unsustainable defined-benefit pensions that are the envy of every private sector worker.

He was SOL, and almost financially ruined even though the project passed plan check and he passed all inspections.

Upvote 0

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Just got back from the OEM. Filled my SUV to the gills plus two boxes on the roof, but I made it in one trip. I need to establish baseline flow and delta t measurements at each duct box, then start replacing that old crap one piece at a time.

And so it begins... Thank you for all the suggestions.

Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
The lawyers told him the truth. He had no case. The city of LA is not responsible for the errors of its employees, which is really all a department is--a bunch of overpaid city employees with unsustainable defined-benefit pensions that are the envy of every private sector worker.

He was SOL, and almost financially ruined even though the project passed plan check and he passed all inspections.

He should have simply gone after his Architect who drew the plans.... they are the ones you pay to know the rules.... The lawyers were typical dumbass's who didn't realize that the Architect would likely have "Error and Omission's" insurance and would simply settle the claim....

Upvote 0