Hurricane Kat what will it do?

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat Name
KAYAK
With the incredible fishing inshore/offshore in SoCal do you think this major system will jack it all up? I've only owned my boat for about 5 years and never experienced the fishing this good locally nor do I recall a Hurricane moving north. I know the Mahi have been seriously pressured by everyone with a boat and would imagine it being a good thing. BUT will it drive the bite away?

Reactions: cortezpirasea
Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat Name
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
Time will tell and not sure how far north the storm will travel , I don't think the fish are going anywhere anytime soon, warm water, clean water, lots of bait, I think the storm along with the swell will push up a band of even warmer water, the bite will probably slow for a few days but it'll pick up where it left off , it's only September, hell before you know it you'll be catching blue Marlin in san diego bay

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Here's your LINK to the best up to the minute
    Weather wind/swell/temp and more from bouys from Nados to Santa Barbara. I see some wind 15-20 and rain already forecast for Friday into Saturday. Check your location and info as the hours and days pass til the weekend. FYI

Reactions: Jeremyarrey
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    I just want to play hookie sometime next week and fish! Weekends are a zoo at ramp and on water and would like to have the ocean to myself one day lol
    Good Luck, once out you may find fish magnets Cody and Cole already out there and bent! LOL
    PS it's Hurricane KAY! LOL

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
  • Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat Name
    Yellow spot
    Looking at the current forecast Kay looks to make landfall in central baja at cat 1 strength and the eye will pass well to the south of SD. SoCal forecast is for a tropical storm watch Friday night through Saturday with 2-4" of rain in some areas and 15kt SE wind.

IMO any warming effect will be offset by a day of wind. It will shuffle things up a bit but in 2-3 days things will settle back out and the great season will continue.

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat Name
    Private
    Other than stir things up for a few days I don't think it will end the season. If anything it will push up a large amount of warm water and hopefully large amount of fish.

Upvote 0

Tar Pit

• Mar 7, 2006
    Reno NV
    Name
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat Name
    None.
    The storm will rip a lot of kelp away from the Baja coast and Islands. We should see a lot more kelps floating off our coast in a few weeks.

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat Name
    None
    I would be more concerned if these winds were coming out of the northwest. These are easterly.

Tropical storms like this are fairly common in Cabo...when they roll through it does not shut their season down. Seriously doubt it will shut our offshore season down as well.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0