Hurricane effects?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by FM-Outside, Jun 27, 2017.

1. FM-Outside

FM-Outside Member

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Anchor Baby
    I've been keeping track of Hurricane Dora since I'm leaving on my first LR trip on Saturday, A 7 day on the SOA. Doesn't appear to be a direct threat as its losing steam, staying pretty far south and should be out of the area completely by then if it stays on the projected path. I was just curious what if any effect it will have on fishing conditions. Anybody ever fished a LR trip after having a hurricane blow through nearby?

2. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Because the winds are local and circular, wind swells (called fetch) can not be developed. So there is zero effect to the swells and water temperature.

3. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    We were at Guadalupe last year when the remnants of a hurricane passed through, lots of rain and moderate wind. Take a rain coat.

The fishing was still very good.

FM-Outside likes this.
  4. FM-Outside

FM-Outside Member

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Anchor Baby
    Thanks for the input guys. Just 3 1/2 more LONG days to go! I'm absolutely useless at work with fish on the brain.

5. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Excel
    The course i see the hurricane taking, you have zero concern unless you are headed to the buffer zone or the bank.

6. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    No weather issues, other than a very outside chance of humidity and showers if the remnant energy pushes west when it dies (storm is in the middle of where the energy pushes W towards Hawaii or NE up towards AZ. Will likely kick up some swell for the Rocks and Ridge, but is too steep to make it past Cedros (unfortunetly for the surfers in CA).

FM-Outside likes this.
  7. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Oh, to answer your 2nd question. The best yellowtail fishing i've been blessed enough to experience, we were bouncing all over the place from the West wind swell crossing with a pretty good sized hurricane swell on the weather side of Cedros. The fish didn't seem to mind one bit.

8. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    For reasons I don't begin to understand, a lot of fish species seem to really turn on when the barometer drops. It's a known phenomenon in the Gulf of Mexico, and the Atlantic coast of Florida, Georgia, and on up. I recently saw the same effect in the Sea of Cortez.

Why? No idea. But right before and during a minor blow, the fish eat...at least some species do.

9. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    I actually dont think it has any influence on fishing. The weather change does. As water currents mix temperature currents in the water column.

1 atmosphere of pressure is measured as 14 psi. That is the weight of all the air in the atmosphere at sea level on a body of water.

30 inches on the barometer is the standard give or take barometric pressure.
    A Hurricane produces say 28 inches. The change in pressure at one atmosphere is around .09 Slower storms build that fraction slower. Faster moving storms just a little faster.

The weight of water is around I think 900 times heavier than air. Go deeper pressure increases much quicker.

Swim bladders allow fish to compensate for this density rapidly.

So I dont think a falling or rising barometer has any effect on fishing because of the pressure.

The mixing of water temps and currents different story.

William Van Dorn's Oceanography - read it a long time ago. Best book for jeopardy type questions on the sea.

Bill W likes this.
  10. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
  11. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    At every 33 feet below water is another atmosphere pressure. 14.7 psi at sea level. While air is compressible, water is not and is not affected by barometric pressure changes.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Squid Sammich and JohnTFT like this.
  12. potuna

potuna Unknown member

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
    I was on an 8 day fishing the rocks and the ridge when there was a hurricane south, it sucked the weather to it and we had flat seas and beautiful weather.

Bill W likes this.
  13. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I was in Cabo last week and before the hurricane the fishing was flat out lousy with cold water and north wind....the hurricane passed about 90 miles south of Cabo Monday and overnight the water was 7 to 10 degrees warmer and the fishing turned on, with almost all boats getting tuna, marlin and some dorado and wahoo for the next three days that I was there....so IMO the storm had a definite effect on the fishing

Anglewood, JohnTFT and sierraed like this.
  14. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Agreed. I just dont think it the baro pressure that causes the fishing to drop off.

15. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    I can understand your interpretation of the affects of a hurricane 90 miles south of Cabo. The summer solstice is on June 20th. Tropical storms are produced when the water temperature is above 80 degrees. Every year a tract of tropical storms follow this band of warm water up after the solstice. It is not the effects of the storm but a historical water temp. change that happens every year.

http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/Cabo-Weather.htm

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/tropics/tc.html

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Fishybuzz likes this.
  16. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

All I know is the day after the storm passed the fishing got real good....chicken or the egg lol

JohnTFT and Bill W like this.
  17. $norkle

$norkle Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    In my dreams!
    Can't say for sure that either side of this argument is valid, and most of us (and you) have very few data points to work with in our mental analysis. I've experienced the most wide open cow bite at Hurricane Bank just prior to a Hurricane moving in on us, and then fishing was lousy at best at every stop up the line after the storm had passed. When I was a kid, many times the best bass and pike fishing was just as the leading edge of a front was coming through. Doesn't necessarily mean that a falling barometer promotes the bite 'cause there are other factors (solunar). On the other hand Fishy reports exactly the opposite which is exactly what occurred, but what other factors might have been involved? Then there was the time that a storm pushed a huge warm water mass up to Alijos and the expectation was that we were going to slay them---but the place was a warm water dead zone. Whether it's a falling barometer, rising barometer, rising temperature, or whatever----the fish have to be there for fishing to be good, and probably there needs to be the right timing (feeding period, current, ?) or the bite won't happen.

Bill W likes this.
  18. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Whatever the present condition is, change has to happen. So think your self an assumption on that change and see if it can be duplicated or better yet look at the archives to see if your assumption is true.

19. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

I have fished the East Cape since 1974 and have found the day before a storm usually meant good fishing....I don't know anything about barometric pressure moon phases or the solistice I know I like fishing the day before a storm hits in Baja.....

Workplacesafety and $norkle like this.
  20. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    O.K.... ?