juicebruiser

Beast Master
Jul 23, 2014
Lakewood
Name
Kevin Davidson
Boat
N/A
With two named hurricanes off Mexico right now. What are fishing conditions typically going to do as they move north? Is it good fishing prior to them getting farther north/ or after they finish running their course?

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I don't think they effect the fish much if at all, but they sure can effect the fishing conditions.

First if they are in the swell window, large enough and moving towards so cal the can kick up very intense relatively short period and very consistent swell coming from non-typical angles. See results of hurricane Marrie last year.

Second their tropical moisture can get caught up in our normal weather systems fueling all kinds of strange weather for Southern California, including but not limited to: rain (what's that?), high humidity, lightning, spouts etc...it can bring an unusual tropical aspect to Southern California. If you can dodge the above conditions, generally the ocean can be much calmer, less of our normal afternoon winds. Depending on path the swell is usually gone before the strange weather happens.

Upvote 0

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
I always thought they tended to push warmer water this way along with more pelagics (YFT, Dorado, Hoos maybe?)
Although that might push the epic Bluefin we've been having out of the area to the north which the folks north of Point Conception would welcome.

Upvote 0

wildbunch

MOFO
Oct 11, 2008
Analheim
Name
Bill
Boat
23' "Hardcore"
When the south swell pushes in......the yellows go on the bite. This week is an example....Clemente and the 150 going off....

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Very non-typical weather were seeing last couple of years.Makes it hard to predict.We have august style hurricanes in early june...WTF?

Upvote 0

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
I remember our fishing weatherman chris dunn saying that hurricanes do not push fish north or maybe he said it does not push warmer water north to us. One of the two...

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I remember our fishing weatherman chris dunn saying that hurricanes do not push fish north or maybe he said it does not push warmer water north to us. One of the two...
Warm water pushes north making it possible for hurricanes to form.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot

IIRC it was that the swell energy does not push warm water northward. If you look how swell energy travels cross the open ocean it makes sense.

Certainly must be some push of water around the NE quadrant of the storm but as far as it affecting the pelagic fish in SoCal IMO little if any affect. If those storms push further north than "normal" it is just another symptom of the same conditions that have made the last 12-14 months of fishing here so good - not the cause.

Last edited:
Reactions: PCH
Upvote 0