watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat Name
    the twisted ducker
    That area is for the most part waterfowl hunting. Hunt days are Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday only. Be at the check station on Davis Rd. at 3am on those days, have your waders and mosquito repellent handy. You can hunt ducks without a reservation, you will simply put your name on the SWEAT LINE list.
    Otherwise you can sniff around the entire valley and look for Quail, dove and perhaps a ditch chicken.
    Bring a fishing rod and look for bass and catfish too.
    Good luck.

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat Name
    the twisted ducker
    Yeah guys, a Pheasant.

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat Name
    None
    I have had much better hunting just a little further to the east along the Colorado River south of Blythe near the Cibola National Wildlife Refuge. You can hunt both sides of the river but you would need a non resident Arizona license to do so.

Have killed a bunch of dove and quail down there but mostly ducks and geese...

IMG_0737A.jpg

IMG_1972A (2).jpg

IMG_1207A.jpg

IMG_1240A.jpg

IMG_1610A.jpg

IMG_1966A.jpg

IMG_1265A.jpg

Upvote 0

Deadlift500

• Jan 12, 2022
    USA
    Name
    d
    Boat Name
    kayak
    For some reason not sure quail on the unit?To
    I have had much better hunting just a little further to the east along the Colorado River south of Blythe near the Cibola National Wildlife Refuge. You can hunt both sides of the river but you would need a non resident Arizona license to do so.

Have killed a bunch of dove and quail down there but mostly ducks and geese...

View attachment 1446252

View attachment 1446253

View attachment 1446254

View attachment 1446255

View attachment 1446256

View attachment 1446257

View attachment 1446258
    Wow! That looks incredible

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat Name
    None
    That whole area is loaded with wildlife. Seen some huge desert mule deer down there too. No assigned blinds. A fraction of the hunters compared to Wister (Imperial Wildlife Area).

Used to hunt it a lot mid-week and rarely saw another hunter. Hard to keep the birds moving when your hunting a large area by yourself....

Definitely worth the extra drive. You can stay in Blythe and have access to thousands of acres of public land...

114_1447.JPG
    IMG_0779A.jpg
    IMG_0769A.jpg
    IMG_0770A.jpg
    Scanned Photos 038A.jpg
    IMG_0723A.jpg
    IMG_0726A.jpg
    s-137-wood-duck.jpg

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat Name
    None
    There were times when I would get done early and then head out with a camera to pull a different kind of trigger....lots of wildlife to shoot, gun or camera.

IMG_2229C.jpg
    IMG_2235C.jpg
    IMG_3636A.jpg
    IMG_3643A.jpg
    IMG_3649A.jpg
    IMG_3659A.jpg
    IMG_3662A.jpg
    IMG_3675A.jpg
    IMG_3677A.jpg
    IMG_3679A.jpg
    IMG_3689A.jpg
    IMG_3705A.jpg
    IMG_3713A.jpg
    IMG_2250A.jpg
    IMG_2317A.jpg
    IMG_2278A.jpg
    IMG_2365A.jpg
    IMG_2384A.jpg
    IMG_2388A.jpg
    IMG_2414A.jpg
    IMG_2447A.jpg

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat Name
    None
    But if you’re hurting around water,
    You better not have any lead ammo with you , just to be safe.
    Good point but a warden would know the difference between a goose load and a dove/quail load. Good news is that the best hunting for dove and quail is not near the river but grain fields. That and the guzzlers (water trough) that have been installed in the local desert areas to support the desert mule deer and wild burro populations...

Those things are a magnet for dove and quail...

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

Deadlift500

• Jan 12, 2022
    USA
    Name
    d
    Boat Name
    kayak
    But if you’re hurting around water,
    You better not have any lead ammo with you , just to be safe.
    Haha, I’m into archery now and will be “shooting” carbon arrows with stainless steel “kondor” points. They are special “flu-flu” arrows that will float on water and have extra big feather fletchings to slow the arrow down faster if shot into the air at a bird and it misses, makes easier to find and retrieve them. Lead-free!

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
    Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat Name
    everyone elses
    That area is for the most part waterfowl hunting. Hunt days are Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday only. Be at the check station on Davis Rd. at 3am on those days, have your waders and mosquito repellent handy. You can hunt ducks without a reservation, you will simply put your name on the SWEAT LINE list.
    Otherwise you can sniff around the entire valley and look for Quail, dove and perhaps a ditch chicken.
    Bring a fishing rod and look for bass and catfish too.
    Good luck.
    If you're going to sign up for the sweat line you need to be there the night before from 7-10 pm.
    Unless something has changed
    You can sign up for refill at 8am on hunt days.

At this time of year I wouldn't expect to walk on on a Saturday morning before shoot time.

Sunday or Wednesday you can probably get there at 430 and take a blind off the scrap heap.

I haven't hunted there much the last few years so it's possible I missed a change in what had been their policy for the decades I was a regular.

Upvote 0

Latest posts