Huge loss in Gonzaga Bay (embarrassment.!)

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by "KEKOA", Jun 13, 2011.

1. "KEKOA"

"KEKOA" Newbie

Name:
    Ron Fernandez
    Boat:
    20' Panga
    :hali_parkutuli::zelfmoordA few of us made our first trip to Gonzaga this past weekend just got back today, the wind devistated our trip! got in around 3am Sat morning set up at Alphonsinas and went to sleep wind blowing pretty hard at that point woke up to a beautiful morning no wind perfect conditions went out to explore and fish huge triggers and lots of bass and a few decent grouper , and lots of whale sharks in the bay we counted 5 @ one time, came back in and set anchor and cleaned the fish, and ate. now this is where it gets bad wind started blowing all sat night .we checked the boat and all was good and went to sleep. woke up to the same or stronger wind looked out and boat was nowhere to be seen broke off and is now floating somewhere between baja and the mexican mainland all our rods reels, tackle, and new GPS, along with it! should have taken a page out of Bert's book and paid more attention to our mooring (@ least he got his boat off the beach and still has it) so if anyone is down in anywhere in baja and sees a unmaned 16' aluminum center console with about 9 rods and reels and a bunch of other stuff id be great full if you would let me know(reward!!)! spoke with all the guys down there and all the local fishermen and they are on the lookout as well .a very expensive lesson has been learned in Gonzaga bay for us this weekend!!

2. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No
    Oh shit...!

3. Fishncomando

Fishncomando Newbie

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    Parker 24, Columbia 30, Valco U-14, Zodiac
    U gays thing i blew away. HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH. A dios amigo.

4. marlyn

marlyn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Easy on the bourbon...

5. mercerm

mercerm Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    24 skipjack
    WTF???

Sorry for your loss, that sucks.

6. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    So sorry for your loss. :( Look at the bright side, at least you didn't get in trouble out on the water... And imagine the stoke some very poor Panguero is going to have when he finds your boat! dunno if that helps or not...:(

7. Saluki

Saluki .

Name:
    Mika Tan
    Boat:
    "MoorZilla"
    I don't think we'll be hearing from you for a while.

Sorry to hear about your loss, it made me sick to my stomach just to read.
    Thanks for sharing, hopefully someone else will learn by your experience.

8. TonyC

TonyC Newbie

Name:
    Tony Cruz
    Boat:
    18ft Palmer, Tiderunner
    oh fuck...sick. what a loss. i feel your pain.

9. curt lj.

curt lj. .

Name:
    curt ljungquist
    Boat:
    22 sea cat/16 klamath
    Bummer, i allmost lost a skiff the same way, now i use a LOT of chain
    Was your rig insured on the water?

10. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    OOUCH!

11. pfish

pfish Member

Name:
    Pfish
    Boat:
    23 Parker
    Bad news for sure. Two things could have happened: It could have been stolen. Or, it could have broke anchor. Again, if you are in the Baja, bring an extra anchor for mooring at night. Tie up to a buoy or do both. That wind can go from nothing to 40 MPH in a NY Minute.

12. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Oh man, what a nightmare. Sorry for your loss.

I remember on earliest Baja trips we'd launch and pull the boat daily. As time moved on, we'd anchor it up at the East Cape. This was typically July or August which is calm save for the chubascos and the occasional hurricane, but you have plenty of warning on the hurricanes as everyone who can is pulling their boats. Still I always worried about the anchor pulling and the boat drifting off the shelf. That's where I learned about the proper amount of chain, rode and setting anchor with enough scope. Due to increasing theft problems, we never left gear on the boat. Still plenty of sleepless nights when the chubascos were crackling.

13. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    OH man...nightmare. Sorry. Hope it turns up.

14. marvista man

marvista man Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Pursuit 2350 W/A, Phoenix 32 Tournament
    Wow, I totally know how you feel. I lost my brand new boat back in 84' from Las Arenas. We launched the boat about 3:00 and sank the truck to the bed. I hurriedly anchored and swam in to spend the next 5 hours digging and pulling one of our trucks out of the sand. It was getting dark so we set up camp. About 10:00 at night I go to check on the boat and no boat. That was one of the worst nights of my life waiting for sunrise. I searched for three days for nothing then by chance while we were in La Paz a local was in town getting his truck repaired and he knew that they found my boat at Cerralvo.

I got the boat back with everything in it. I hope you're as lucky and god bless you. BTW, I tipped the hell out of everyone involved in my episode and we drank a case of Pacifico with the disappointed guy who found my boat.

Steve

15. Team Karma

Team Karma Newbie

Name:
    Kyle
    Boat:
    54 Sculley: Karma 3
    Hopefully someone finds it before it floats out of the Cortez! Anything is possible. I know of a story where some guys pulled into Frailes in a small 28 footer after a hurricane caught them offshore. While trying to anchor they wrapped the chain in the props and had to abandon ship. When the jumped, the boat was inside of the breakers getting thrashed by about 8-10 footers. All 3 guys on board made it safely to shore and assumed the boat would wash up as it was being pummeled by the surf.

In the morning when the woke up, no boat, on the shore or in the flat calm bay. 30 something days later one of the Rancho Buena Vista boats found the boat floating 17 miles due east of hotel completely intact.... wonder how many times the boat got spotted and people just assumed it was occupied and fishing.

I hope your incident ends up with the same crazy ending and even if your stuff is gone, I know having the boat back would be awesome. Good luck!

When I'm down in east cape in late July I'll keep my eyes peeled for it :) ....

16. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    That sucks, hope you get it back

17. "KEKOA"

"KEKOA" Newbie

Name:
    Ron Fernandez
    Boat:
    20' Panga
    Thanks for all the support and positive comments! Now off to work to earn some money to start the replacement process:-)

18. Surfdoc

Surfdoc The finger in the Dyke!

Name:
    Stan
    Boat:
    Mx Panga, MOJAC
    Damn that sucks.... I understand not having enough anchor for the wind/tide movements...

Ya may want to join some of the local Baja boards like Bajanomads etc and post there.. can't hurt to broaden the amt of folks looking. And from what I seen down here with the other Expats... if someone finds your rig... they will get it back to ya!

BTW I'll be seeing the Port Capt from St Roselia in the next 2 days and will ask if any boats have been found.
    Could ya post a picture if ya have one so I can give it to him ?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  19. cj5orion

cj5orion Build it...Remodel it...Go Fishin/Huntin/Baja

Name:
    Bert
    Boat:
    gone baja
    [QUOTE="KEKOA";2301394]Thanks for all the support and positive comments! Now off to work to earn some money to start the replacement process:-)[/QUOTE]

Damn Kekoa ;
    That was me you were talkin to down there...Me and my bud searched the bay for ya on the trophy with "no gas",well,,the gauge was kinda bouncin between 1/8 and 0 (when we got the trophy back in the boat house,,,we checked our gas manually,,,,not much there !) WHEW !

20. cj5orion

cj5orion Build it...Remodel it...Go Fishin/Huntin/Baja

Name:
    Bert
    Boat:
    gone baja
    PS; I put a post up for ya on bajanomads .com