Hub replacement

Jan 5, 2011
Kenmore WA
Name
Kurt Kettel
Boat
18' Tiderunner
85 EZ loader trailer needs new hubs. Any particular brand that stands out; obviously want something decent that will hold up for a few years in the salt...thanks so much!

Hub crack.jpg

Upvote 0

jonnyboy852

Almost A Member
Jul 3, 2009
Seattle
Name
Jon
Boat
282 Sailfish GW
Some stuff on easy loader trailers are Proprietary. Try Ballard marine they have a lot of parts in stock for EZ loader. Remember it's not the hub It's the bearings, Almost any hub you will buy from any manufacturer are going to have Chinese bearings in them. What I would do in the past would be to get new hubs. Remove the Chinese bearings and races and install Timkens. You can take the Chinese bearings down to a good bearing shop like Mcguire, and they should be able to cross reference them over to Timken.

Kman
Kman
Ditto on the Timken thing. I only got 9 months and then 10 months out of the Chinese bearings. Going two plus years on Timkens and they look new. Chinese bearings: $39. Timkens: $140. You get what you pay for.

And when the Chinese bearings crap the bed, you get this

Attachments

• A9BF4B19-40B6-48A6-A7A1-6531C241D7A7.jpeg
    A9BF4B19-40B6-48A6-A7A1-6531C241D7A7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
How does the spindle look…. I’m in the same boat and while i think the spindles are fine i’m probably going to do the whole axle as a kit, and then put new bearings in.

Reactions: bdrlgion
Upvote 0

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat
18' Tiderunner Runabout
How does the spindle look…. I’m in the same boat and while i think the spindles are fine i’m probably going to do the whole axle as a kit, and then put new bearings in.
Good suggestion on checking spindles. One got me good last year.

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Good luck with six robblees. They fucked up 3 orders in a row for me recently. Gave them the #s shipped wrong bearings. Then 6 instead of the 7 sets I ordered. Then a hub that didn't fit.

I tried them to save time over etrailer but in the end cost me nore time and money.

Oh I almost forgot, they sent me mixed seals too. Some 2.125 and some 2.25.

Other than that it was a great experience

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
Good luck with six robblees. They fucked up 3 orders in a row for me recently. Gave them the #s shipped wrong bearings. Then 6 instead of the 7 sets I ordered. Then a hub that didn't fit.

I tried them to save time over etrailer but in the end cost me nore time and money.

Quit your sniveling, don’t you know we’re in a pandemic! 😷

🙄

Upvote 0

Mpizzle

Bobber down!
Jul 18, 2010
Mt Vernon
Name
Matt
Boat
20’ Glasply
Six robblees is about 10 times as expensive as sourcing the parts elsewhere.

I'll second what was said above. Poor customer service and sent me home with incorrect parts multiple times at Six Roblees. Eventually they told me to "just bring the axel in" which I did, and they were unable to get me the correct parts I needed. Total waste of time.

I use etrailer online.

Upvote 0

Soremouth'r

Sep 14, 2008
Area 7
Name
Blake
Boat
26' Duckworth Offshore "Bad Influence"
Some stuff on easy loader trailers are Proprietary. Try Ballard marine they have a lot of parts in stock for EZ loader. Remember it's not the hub It's the bearings, Almost any hub you will buy from any manufacturer are going to have Chinese bearings in them. What I would do in the past would be to get new hubs. Remove the Chinese bearings and races and install Timkens. You can take the Chinese bearings down to a good bearing shop like Mcguire, and they should be able to cross reference them over to Timken.
On that old of a trailer its likely drum brakes unless he converted, either way the drum/disc is the hub in most cases, rarely do these have knock off rotors on a floating hub. I agree on buying name brand bearings but if you know what you are asking for its hard for anyone on the other end to fuck it up. We rebuild about 30-40 trailers a year and buy most everything through Six Robblees unless its the proprietary shit on the newer trailers like factory oil bath stuff etc...

Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    Six robblees is about 10 times as expensive as sourcing the parts elsewhere.

I'll second what was said above. Poor customer service and sent me home with incorrect parts multiple times at Six Roblees. Eventually they told me to "just bring the axel in" which I did, and they were unable to get me the correct parts I needed. Total waste of time.

I use etrailer online.

X3 Six Roblees sucks nuts and is way way way way way overpriced on everything.

Upvote 0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Kenmore WA
    Name
    Kurt Kettel
    Boat
    18' Tiderunner
    On that old of a trailer its likely drum brakes unless he converted, either way the drum/disc is the hub in most cases, rarely do these have knock off rotors on a floating hub. I agree on buying name brand bearings but if you know what you are asking for its hard for anyone on the other end to fuck it up. We rebuild about 30-40 trailers a year and buy most everything through Six Robblees unless its the proprietary shit on the newer trailers like factory oil bath stuff etc...
    No brakes (yay!)

Reactions: Soremouth'r
    Upvote 0

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
    Aug 8, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream

Sounds very much like the experience i had with eTrailer when I rebuilt my trailer. I went as far to give them the exact Kodiak part numbers i was looking for. Took 3 shipments, multiple emails/phone calls and about 5 weeks to get the right parts. I still have a bunch of brand new trailer brake and hub parts that are no good to me. Never dealt with Six Roblees other than a minor part here or there but i hear they're way overpriced. Having said that, I'll avoid eTrailer in the future.
    I've had good luck with EasternMarine.com.

I agree, go with Timken bearings. They make a difference.

Upvote 0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Kenmore WA
    Name
    Kurt Kettel
    Boat
    18' Tiderunner
    Thought I'd give an "end to the story"...decided to go to Roblees in Everett. Took my old hub with me. The nice man at the counter took a lot of time to find the proper seal but finally did (I would have had zero clue over the internet). Gave me all the parts including chinese bearings (we'll see what happens!) & hubs. Showed me how to grease the bearings & sent me on my way. 4 hours later (and a couple u-tubes), the job was done & my first hub replacement a success. Ran up I405 to test & cool to the touch. Went all the way to westport & back Fri/Sat; all good! Total bill was $160 out the door which I thought was reasonable for both hubs/bearing sets (both sides). Now, to fix the loose windshield! Always something...feesh on!

Upvote 0