NukeDawg

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
My sea going experience has been on displacement hulls from 50-85'. i'm considering purchasing a boat in the 25-30' range. Can someone explain how the ride will compare to the larger boats i have travelled on? What mainly effects ride quality, boat length? hull type? etc? any info would be appreciated.

pescaloco

fish hunter
Aug 17, 2005
san diego
Name
Mark B.
Boat
27 Foot Stringari Custom
There will probably not be much comparision
displacent hulls are heavy, slow, and more stable

25-30 foot Planing hulls will usually be a deep v and ride on top of the water (while planing), when it's nice out it is great fast and stable. When it's rough you could probably expect to have sore legs and back from the constat motion of the hull and your body

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
My sea going experience has been on displacement hulls from 50-85'. i'm considering purchasing a boat in the 25-30' range. Can someone explain how the ride will compare to the larger boats i have travelled on? What mainly effects ride quality, boat length? hull type? etc? any info would be appreciated.
In my experience, among single-hull boats built for use off shore, the biggest determinants of ride are 1) sea conditions, 2) speed and 3) displacement. In comparison, hull design considerations (length to beam ratios, deadrise, etc.) are not very important. Also, in my experience, the difference between an 85 foot and a 50 foot, is comparable to the difference between 50 and 30 feet, and that is comparable to the difference between 30 feet and about 18 feet.

One thing really changes the equation, however -- active stabilizers. Properly sized and set up, they can eliminate 90% of roll (but not of pitch). There is no comparison between an 85' stabilized boat and a 30 foot not stabilized boat.

Blue Seas Fab

Oct 21, 2003
Un-charted desert isle
www.blueseasfabrication.com
Name
Ken
Boat
23' Sea Hunt Ultra
Mark, Rick covers it pretty well. (Nice Nomad Rick! Thats the ONE)

I will add to this. In the 25 to 30 foot range, there are many sub categories of boat design. There are "Deadrise" boats that are popular on inland waters like the Chesapeake bay where relativeliy flat bottoms are popular as the draw less, and are easy to power, however, these "good" things make the ride suffer when you go offshore. At the other end, you have the Fountain, Contender etc deep vee (22 + degrees off deadrise.) These boats are designed to ride relatively well at higher speeds offshore offering a better ride due to the deep vee hull. However, there are trade offs in width, comfort, storage etc.

It is a better approach in my estimation to a decide "what do I want to do with the boat" That will be of the most help in your decision. Do you want to hardcore fish? Inshore mostly? Offshore? Do you want to overnight? Is fuel economy an issue or concern? Speed? Looks? Trailer or slip? Once you narrow it down, the recommendations will be more useful for you. (of course, you could just get a World Cat 29 and be done with it!)

Last edited:

NukeDawg

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
The initial intended use was to fish. However i would like to attempt to balance this with family cruising for 4 people (couple overnights over long weekends, etc). I have been out a few times when it is rough on larger vessels. I am looking for opinions as to whether these same seas in 25-30' range would still be manageable for the family. I'm not sure what to expect? Also any opinions for for boats which present a compromise between cruising and fishing? Doesn't exist? Do i need to change my expectations?

Blue Seas Fab

Oct 21, 2003
Un-charted desert isle
www.blueseasfabrication.com
Name
Ken
Boat
23' Sea Hunt Ultra
The initial intended use was to fish. However i would like to attempt to balance this with family cruising for 4 people (couple overnights over long weekends, etc). I have been out a few times when it is rough on larger vessels. I am looking for opinions as to whether these same seas in 25-30' range would still be manageable for the family. I'm not sure what to expect? Also any opinions for for boats which present a compromise between cruising and fishing? Doesn't exist? Do i need to change my expectations?

There are many, many choices in the 25-30 foot range. Of course, accomodations for 4 in a 30 footer will not be opulent. The first boat I would look at is the Albin 28 TE. The reason is this is the "largest" 28 foot boat (trailerable) you will find. They have accomodations (with the right configuration) for four, large cockpit, incredible sea keeping, reasonable, single diesel performance (20+ knot cruise) and economy (incredible at hull speed). The other reason is that with your prior experience, it will be a more familiar boat. They really are an incredible value. AFter that, all the good manufacturers make walk around and cabin boats in that size that offer luxury and comfort. The ride of a planing type hull is going to be completely different than displacement types, but seaworthy and safe, as well. Dont discount the Catamarans as they offer soft rides and performance, giving up interior room to a same sized mono.