How would you configure Shimano Torium 20 for both surf casting and inshore/party boats

Rachmak

Oct 13, 2020
Pasadena, Ca
Name
Jason
Boat
Non
Hello BD

Don't know if this is a crazy or stupid question and I've done a fair amount of research online already but hoping to get some feedback pertaining to my situation.

I have a Shimano Torium 20 (older version - all stainless steel body) that is rigged for heavier fishing (currently 40lb mono) and the party boats. I have a 9' surf rod that I would like to take out on occasion and rather than buying a new reel, I was wondering if there was anyway I could put a lighter line (such as braid?) on the Torium 20 to make it appropriate for surf fishing and interchange the leader between 15lb floro surf casting and heavier leader (25lb?) for boat fishing.

I know the Torium 20 is a bit large for surf casting but just don't want to commit to a buying a new reel for surf fishing since I don't get out that often. Would appreciate any thoughts on this and thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Just leave room on top of braid to change Topshot accordingly...

That being said I'd recommend a cheapo (spinning) setup for surf. You will ruin your torium or any reel surf fishing....
    Sand and saltwater in the internals is inevitable.

Reactions: Rachmak
    Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    Fill it with 65lb braid and change top shots as needed. That will work if you plan to soak bait in the surf. For casting lures get something else
    Those reels aren’t made of stainless steel by the way, that thing would weigh a ton. It’s aluminum

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    The older torium is a graphite frame with metal covers. Surf casting braid is not the best idea. My surf reels are either all mono or have a 100 yard mono topshot ranging from 15lb to 50lb.
    For your reel, I would either go full spool of 20lb mono or 300 yard or so of 50lb PP MC and a 20lb mono topshot. That would be a great #20-#30 bait setup and all you would need to do is change the mono topshot depending on what you are fishing.

Upvote 0

Rachmak

Oct 13, 2020
    Pasadena, Ca
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Non
    The older torium is a graphite frame with metal covers. Surf casting braid is not the best idea. My surf reels are either all mono or have a 100 yard mono topshot ranging from 15lb to 50lb.
    For your reel, I would either go full spool of 20lb mono or 300 yard or so of 50lb PP MC and a 20lb mono topshot. That would be a great #20-#30 bait setup and all you would need to do is change the mono topshot depending on what you are fishing.

Thanks Texas Tuna - what do you mean by 50lb "PP MC". - sorry about the rookie question

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    It sounds like you are coming from the perspective of a guy on a a budget fishing socal.

No need to get maxcuatro. With 50 power pro regular which Is less expensive you can put 300 yds. Of 50 and have enough room left on the reel for enough 20 pound mono you will never see the braid... that being said you will ruin that Torium inThe surf and need to buy a reel to fish at all in short order.
    Buy another reel for your surf thrasher.
    Lighter tackle is more fun and practical in the surf imo.
    You can get a very good combo for $200 that will last and also be your bay and freshwater rod.
    Look at the Daiwa Fuego spinners.

Or get a cheapo combo that you through away when the reel grinds to a halt

Upvote 0