How will this El Nino affect San Diego sport fishing?

El Buso

May 6, 2005
Pauma Valley
Name
Joe
Boat
80 Aqua Bay
I am sitting on my patio in beautiful weather, sunny and warm, not a breath of wind ....and I just cancelled tonights trip. #[email protected]%^&(
The forecast this AM is 180 degrees from last night and I know the latest one is right. This is what I remember about El Nino.
My first E.N. as a commercial fisherman was 1983 and it really tore us apart due to weather. So Cal was declared a "disaster area" by the Governor
1983 is the year I learned to hate the weatherman.
1983 is the year I had 12 friends die in 3 different weather related sinkings.
We had rain and then more rain.
We had huge swells and then they got bigger.
We had water spouts on an almost weekly basis...one hit us at 3 AM off of San Miguel Island.
The massive weather systems were stacked up in Alaska and looked like the landing pattern at LAX....taking numbers to pummel the West Coast
So much for the gloom and doom.
1983 had Albacore caught on the Cloud Nine, ( A drift net boat ) between Catalina and Pt. Fermin....did I forget to mention that they were all over 70 pounds ( largest was 87 )
1983 was the year that the "Tudor" wrapped the huge Blue Fin off the back side of Santa Rosa Island. The largest was over 800 pounds, That one set ( 30 fish ) was worth over $700,000
1983 had schools of Yellowtail off of the back side of Santa Cruz Island in February
1983 had one of the worst Kelp die offs due to the unusually warm water.

Look at what is happening in 2010 and it looks like we could be in for one of those banner years of fishing for the exotics right here in So.Cal.
This is NOT a prediction...just a wish.
I don't know how everyone else feels but I hope I get to use my "Lift pole" this summer.
See ya at the Fred Hall show

brant48

Dec 12, 2006
Sun Diego
Name
Man of Interest
Boat
Striper 21 Wa......Vengeance
I remember Lake Hodges was in my backyard and I caught loads of catfish on Velveta cheese. I wish fishing would be as good as it was back then, I was 9 years old....Its almost March hope the fish start to bite!!!!

Tuna Master

Sep 11, 2004
Glendale
Name
Frank
Boat
26,Radoncraft
The summer of 1982 was the first one that my brother and I were catching yellowfin tuna. The landings were getting over 1,000 fish per day for one day boats. They were small, but it was impressive how fast they were compared to Albacore.

The weather was flat that summer, but with that warm water, that winter was a wet one!

The next el nino was really 10 years later, in 1992

retaliate

Jun 25, 2008
Springfield, Oregon USA
Name
Ken
Boat
21' NR Maxxum Seahawk "Adrenaline"
I remember EN 83, there were red crab(crawfish looking things) everywhere, on the beaches, in the Bay's, I was young than, had a slow year for work, so I took my now wife down to San Diego to meet my Mom, & Brothers, & do some fishing, the charters were using red crabs for bait, cause Anchovies, & Sardines were not available, Sheepshead was the bright spot for 1/2 day charters, lots of #10 to #15 ers, a #3 yellowtail won the pot cause they said Sheepshead wasn't a sportfish, my wife had the biggest fish, & couldn't believe a #3 fish took the pot, Halibut were no where to be found either, heard they went North, up here in the NW we were catching hugh Skate off the Jetty's, & Salmon were scarce, probably went North for Cooler Water, looking forward to this EN as plenty of Albacore, & hopefully Yellowtail, & Dorado will be available. for us NW'ters, Might even make a trip to SD this spring, as the last EN 98 there were lot's of Yellowtails close to shore.

Josh D

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 17, 2007
Sunland
Name
Josh
Boat
18' Century
The 83 El Nino is when we learned how to fish.
Killer fishing up & down the coast, consistent WSB off PV & YT off the pier in Goleta.

carcass

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 25, 2009
Cedar City Utah
Name
scott
Boat
None
Whether it happens or not, I will be out on my charter in July. If it hits, great. If not, great. I'm still fishing. More fish will only be a bonus.

What is for sure is that in the near future, we will know when the reprots come in.

calbrewguy

Jul 12, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Randy
Boat
None
In 1983 I moved from Newport to El Granada (near Half Moon Bay) to work on the San Francisco outfall pipeline at Ocean Beach. Morrison-Knuteson had a brand new 100'x400' barge with a Clyde 500 ton crane and all new diving gear set to go.It rained every day for a month, then we got a break so they towed the barge out of San Francisco Bay into place about a quarter mile off shore and anchored her up. A few days later the next storms rolled in and put that barge on the beach, heavily damaged. It took six weeks to salvage and set the job back over a year. We moved back South only to find that our place in Mexico had waves breaking in the living room. That's my El Nino story.

jeffc7

Jun 13, 2008
Irvine
Name
Jeff
Boat
I wish
I remember Lake Hodges was in my backyard and I caught loads of catfish on Velveta cheese. I wish fishing would be as good as it was back then, I was 9 years old....Its almost March hope the fish start to bite!!!!
I wonder is anyone is still using Velveta, that used to be the goto bait. $2 a block compared to $5 a jar for powerbait.

Knot Forever

Oct 5, 2006
Beaumont
Name
Rob Allen
Boat
21 Triumph Knot Forever
The way I look at it is there is a big difference between the 1983 and the 2010 El Nono. This time I have a boat! Damn, I hope the fishing is close to what it was then.

Wild West

Wild West
Aug 7, 2003
Ventura
Visit site
Name
Bob
Boat
25 Skipjack SC
im guessin 2010 will be alot smaller than the 83'
No need to guess - this years El Nino is a lot smaller than both the 83 and the 97-98 events, although it is the biggest since 98. Should be some good fishing in any case.

Hers is SST anomaly 1st week of January 1998:

http://cawcr.gov.au/bmrc/ocean/results/SST_anals/SSTA_19980104.gif

and here is 1st week of 2010. Not only are equatorial waters in the E. Pacific much less warm but look how much cooler the whole US west coast is:

http://cawcr.gov.au/bmrc/ocean/results/SST_anals/SSTA_20100103.gif

Jan 25, 2010
Rowland Heights, Ca.
Name
Antonio Flores
Boat
n/a
I hate to tell you this. It's going to happen this year. 1983 all over again, for the past two days San Diego local sportfishing places like Point Loma and H&M are fishing for yellowtail right now. Apparently on March 1st 2010 Point Loma had 21 anglers and they landed 19 yellowtails. Today H&M 3/4 day boat has hit limits on yellowtails by noon. They had 11 anglers on today's boat. All indications point to a epic summer. I am going on the H&M boat on Thursday I hope they are still around. But 1983 is here again, get ready folks...

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
I'm not ready to claim "greatest year ever" based on an early spring snap.
We can hope though:D

Bravo 6

Jan 19, 2005
Costa Mesa
Name
Gary
Boat
Albemarle 280 Twin Diesel, Bravo 6
K, for you rookies the 83 event had guys catching YT of piers and the jeddy at the NB harbor on the Wedge side, YFT were in the Cat channel, but the best was going 5-7 miles out of Miss Bay straight out for 30lb+ YFT, dodos everywhere and the albie season came early and went in a hurry. There was a lack of BFT that year, but we sure whacked the BET right there at south Island. Sure, it messes up the eco system for a couple years after but it's worth it.

Father Ken

Douchepickle
Apr 20, 2004
original
Name
notnek
Boat
nothing
This thread got more interseting with an early Spring yellowtail snap at the Nado's . Wish I lived closer to try and cash in on some Hamachi . Freezer is empty . Well , a few langosta , and popsicles in their .

In regards to the question , it seems SD would have an epic YFT season .

Hopefully as good and probably better than last year . Even a caveman like myself plugged the boat with thunnus last season less than 30 miles from the Point .

I am praying for YFT on the 14 and in the Cat Channel . Watched my Dad catch YFT in 1983 on a 3/4 day boat out of Daveys Locker . Jackpot fish . Took him up and down the rail . I was 14 years old . It changed my life . Would like to do the same thing for my kids , maybe this year ???????

wxdunn

Oct 11, 2009
Mobile, AL
www.thefishingweatherman.com
Name
Chris
Boat
none
In 1983 (one of the strongest El Ninos on record) I caught 10 yellowtail on a 3/4 day trip on the Sharpshooter out of Redondo...all just 2-3 miles off the Manhattan Beach pier! We would troll feathers to get on top of a school that wanted to bite and just drift with them until the bite slacked off. It was the first year I had heard of bullet tuna & shortbill spearfish...and wahoo caught within day-boat range of San Diego. It was a crazy summer. The next year (1984) was HUGE for Albacore in San Diego and a crazy, rare fall run of jumbo albies in the Catalina channel. 50 pounders were common!
While this year's El Nino impact may not be as significant as what we experienced in '83, it should be a lot more interesting than a "normal" year.
Home
Sea Surface Temperatures, Exclusive Wind Forecasts for SoCal & Baja, and more...

jimdog99

LickemLowLover L3
Oct 11, 2004
Hartsville SC USA
Name
Jim
Boat
Yours
I'm not ready to claim "greatest year ever" based on an early spring snap.
We can hope though:D

It happens almost every spring. The jellos bite for a few then all of the boat pressure causes them to be really shy. I hope that this is it... I finally have paid time off... Oh shit, getting paid from work to fish... This will be a good year, epic? That remains to be seen.
:finger:

bradnoble

Backcountry Snowboarder
Aug 8, 2009
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Name
Brad
Boat
19' Glasstron
I am sitting on my patio in beautiful weather, sunny and warm, not a breath of wind ....and I just cancelled tonights trip. #[email protected]%^&(
The forecast this AM is 180 degrees from last night and I know the latest one is right. This is what I remember about El Nino.
My first E.N. as a commercial fisherman was 1983 and it really tore us apart due to weather. So Cal was declared a "disaster area" by the Governor
1983 is the year I learned to hate the weatherman.
1983 is the year I had 12 friends die in 3 different weather related sinkings.
We had rain and then more rain.
We had huge swells and then they got bigger.
We had water spouts on an almost weekly basis...one hit us at 3 AM off of San Miguel Island.
The massive weather systems were stacked up in Alaska and looked like the landing pattern at LAX....taking numbers to pummel the West Coast
So much for the gloom and doom.
1983 had Albacore caught on the Cloud Nine, ( A drift net boat ) between Catalina and Pt. Fermin....did I forget to mention that they were all over 70 pounds ( largest was 87 )
1983 was the year that the "Tudor" wrapped the huge Blue Fin off the back side of Santa Rosa Island. The largest was over 800 pounds, That one set ( 30 fish ) was worth over $700,000
1983 had schools of Yellowtail off of the back side of Santa Cruz Island in February
1983 had one of the worst Kelp die offs due to the unusually warm water.

Look at what is happening in 2010 and it looks like we could be in for one of those banner years of fishing for the exotics right here in So.Cal.
This is NOT a prediction...just a wish.
I don't know how everyone else feels but I hope I get to use my "Lift pole" this summer.
See ya at the Fred Hall show
I remember when they wraped those big bluefin, I thought a couple were over 1,000 lbs....

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
jim
Boat
24 ft grady white
I hate to tell you this. It's going to happen this year. 1983 all over again, for the past two days San Diego local sportfishing places like Point Loma and H&M are fishing for yellowtail right now. Apparently on March 1st 2010 Point Loma had 21 anglers and they landed 19 yellowtails. Today H&M 3/4 day boat has hit limits on yellowtails by noon. They had 11 anglers on today's boat. All indications point to a epic summer. I am going on the H&M boat on Thursday I hope they are still around. But 1983 is here again, get ready folks...
we get yellows at the islands this time of year every year,and if there wasnt so much pressure on these fish the bite would be alot better

sdjfish

Deck Ape
Mar 26, 2003
escondido
Visit site
Name
steve
Boat
2320 Parker, Tracker
I'm wondering if those BET’s are still swimming in sea water or spring water in a can. It would be nice to see them again but that species has been hammered in the eastern and southern Pacific.

Some of my older friends and I have been reminiscing about the early 80's and among other points noted that it was a three year period that was affected by the E N and after it was over the albi's were MIA in mass for quite a while. There was one year when the by the wind sailors showed up in mass and the offshore fishing within 2 day range just sucked!

If we have an El Niño it means change and there will be good and bad things that go with it for some time. Watch for lots of stuff in the water when you go offshore early in the season. I have a picture of a two car garage floating off Catalina taken in 83. The roof and part of one side were above water, looked very odd floating in the ocean. That’s not going to show up well on radar and may leave a mark if struck in the dark.

DirtyHarry3

Fish Killa
Mar 5, 2008
Grand Terrace, CA
Name
Luis Castro
Boat
Boat Ho
I wonder is anyone is still using Velveta, that used to be the goto bait. $2 a block compared to $5 a jar for powerbait.
Nah, with this economy, trout, catfish and carp are caught on marshmallows. Sometimes Tootsie Rolls (they really stay on the hook and last for a long time).
Velveeta can still be considered fancy and expensive by some LOL