How will LR Industry Evolve In The Future?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by BirdnestBill, Nov 6, 2012.

1. BirdnestBill

BirdnestBill Farmer

La Guaira Bank, Los Roques, Eastern Pacific
    Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    Porque' No?
    Given the business evolution out of PV and ongoing issues (costs, restrictions, exclusivities, etc) of the landings and boats out of Point Loma, I wonder how the Point Loma operations will evolve over the upcoming years?

How is the customer base changing and how do providers need to change their approach in order to meet needs?

Will it (LR industry) continue to consolidate/shrink and become controlled by only a very few players?

How can owners/operators better cooperate to maximize cost control?

How will Mexican regulatory restrictions drive decision making?

Will our fisheries support the fleet's "reach" over time?

What alternatives could be made available for landings, bait, fuel, insurance, etc?

Do you think someone will drive change (proactive) or will it happen by itself (reactive)?

It often seems that our industry feels "trapped" by circumstance and "out of our control" issues. Is this really the case or are there some creative solutions out there?

Looking forward to see everybody's take on these things. Change is inevitable but where is it going to come from and what will it look like?

2. Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral Holi-e-Mackeral

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
    I guess that fuel costs over the next 20 years will force many changes to the boats themselves... If diesel fuel prices rise 10 fold who knows what a trip will cost ?

Maybe a 120 foot catamaran long range boat ? Anything to cut fuel costs...

Tight lines

Jeff

3. fishbone24

fishbone24 Member

Name:
    Corey
    Boat:
    2014 Henriques 42 HTEX "fishbone" 2016 mako 234 “lil fishbone”

4. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses

5. fishbone24

fishbone24 Member

Name:
    Corey
    Boat:
    2014 Henriques 42 HTEX "fishbone" 2016 mako 234 “lil fishbone”

6. PunkRockCPA

PunkRockCPA Tax Season Sucks!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Kencraft 206...Liquid Asset
    As with any business, the strong will survive. Provide a great value and great service, you'll make it through the good times & bad.

I have actually considered, given the unfortunate situation with the Q105, will the State at some point attempt to better regulate how depsotis are held. You know, like an escrow account when you buy a house, or maybe a separate trust account. There is good an bad in this. The good is the consumer protection. The bad is the (probably) distructive effect to boat operator cash flow if the money is sitting somewhere that they can't legally access until xxxx date. Oh well. Just something I was thinking about.

7. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    I know the logistics would be hard to work out, but if a larger and faster support boat could transfer passengers, gear, fuel and fish to all the long range boats. The long range boats could work the fishing grounds 24/7. Also I believe it is legal to process your catch if the catch is transferred to the second boat. Crews can work on both boats to return home. Support boat with a forked stern should be large enough to tie up the long range boats if any mechanical issues break down the fishing boat.

How about a Pemex/Customs barge located at Coronado Islands

Maybe a new hull design, Swath, Stolkraft, Cat, exc...

8. Mikieb

Mikieb Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Crash & Burn
    I hate long boat rides, I like the future !!! Starting 2013 for me.

9. kaki

kaki Newbie

Name:
    kenny
    Boat:
    none
    Maybe they can come out with some Hybrid boats to help cut out fuel cost....just wishing.

10. HermosaJoe

HermosaJoe Well-Known "Member"

Ha! Well, I have a dream, while we're speculating.

I've always dreamed I could just lay down $400 and appear (teleport aka Star Trek?) to the deck of a long range boat at Cedros for a day of wide open YT fishing, any time of the year I needed a fix.

No packing all my crap. Just eat a big breakfast at home at 5 AM, arrive on the stern boat at Cedros/Benitos at 6AM—with (a) my surface iron stick, (b) a yoyo rod, and (c) a 40lb bait stick, along with a package of hooks, a dozen jigs, and my pliers—and fish my brains out 'till 8PM, at which hour I'd be fed like a king on the boat and then teleport back home with my head on my own pillow by 10 PM. Now THAT would nicely break up the work week, don't ya think?

So, that's my prediction. :rofl:

11. jayyyy

jayyyy Member

Name:
    jay
    Boat:
    '04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
    There have been plenty of operations through the years that did what the Maximus is doing, Q-105, Breezers and Champ to name a few.

Logistics are always a major issue, getting all your stuff on the boat and back home with your fresh catch.

I 've done quite a bit of fishing that starts of with a plane ride and enjoyed those trips throughly. Overall though its a different experience verses S.D. based L.R. fishing.

Not saying its better or worse thats an individual preference, just different.

12. NoLDR

NoLDR OG BD member

Name:
    BRAD
    Boat:
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    If you can answer all these questions I would also like your numbers for this weeks lottery. Business, fishing and policies are constantly changing if anyone can predict the future they would all be rich.

A while back everyone predicted the closing of the islands would be the end of long range fishing when in fact IMO it improved the long range fishing ten fold. The boats will continue to adapt and find fish regardless of the restrictions imposed so I wouldn't worry about the fleet as a whole but no doubt there will be boats lost to attrition and failure to change.

Looking forward to see what others have to say. In the mean time I will continue to prepare for my trip in a few weeks.

Perhaps I didn't answer any of your question I was just bored and looking to put some general input.

NoLDR over and out .

13. Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral Holi-e-Mackeral

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
    Who knows,

Maybe the next round of new boats will be something like this..

Imagine a long range boat that could cruise at 30 knots or more and save on fuel..

Just speculating. It would be great if someone who is an expert in boat design could chime in on the benefits of different hull designs

Tight lines,

Jeff

Attached Files:

14. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    nice bait tank up on the bow. or is that a jacuzzi?

15. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    Suck it
    bigger faster better

16. The Notorious S.U.A.

The Notorious S.U.A. Newbie

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Sporties
    All the politics and bullshit not withstanding, I think we'll start seeing trips being run out of Panama with more regularity.

17. Antares

Antares The popcorn police

Name:
    Drew
    Boat:
    29'
    I would like to see more speed.

18. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Ultimately, LR and some other forms of sportfishing will become passtimes for the wealthy. Some more boats will transition to more premanent ports down south, like Panama, for fly down/back client$. There will be fewer boats, overall.

Another reason why I work two jobs...

19. DannyNoonan

DannyNoonan Smarter than I look...

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Somebody Else's
    Actually, I'll spare everyone the suspense. I just got back from the future - spent the past few months in 2098 (remember, I'm a rocket scientist)...

The landings were purchased some time back by the Six Flags conglomerate from the Frank LoPreste estate - it's now been turned into a giant waterpark...

Continuing affects of global warming essentially killed off the sardine population, and has shifted pelagic migration patterns significantly northward. Morro Bay is the new LR "hot spot", targeting wahoo, as the BFT/Albacore schools are rarely seen south of Vancouver...

Side note - marijuana is now legalized, so options for seasickness remedies have expanded considerably...

Actual on-the-water fishing experiences are limited to the most affluent of fisherpersons, as fuel surcharges typically run $35k per trip. The vast majority of us enjoy the experience virtually (imagine a holographic Wii with Smell-o-Vision)...

Interestingly, although tuna are no longer targeted, the radiation leakage that emanated from the Japanese tsunamis of 2011, 2024, and 2057 have driven a severe genetic mutation in the lizardfish population - "trophy" cows are now routinely caught by anglers, with fly-lined Humbolts being the technique/bait of choice...

Hopefully, this cleared things up a bit...

PUDDLER likes this.
  20. okie man

okie man I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kerry way
    Boat:
    18' javalin
    i'm still hoping for the big quake! california will slide into the sea. vegas will become a coastal town . long range boats will be fishing places like mt.baldy high spot. maybe the san bernadino bank!