KillerBeee

Salt Water Aficionado
Jan 26, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
Name
Dave
Boat
18.5 Tiderunner KillerBeee
Sucked ass in 13. Jumped aboard FishNg1's boat with Steve and his son. Brought little Dave as well. 4 pots and a couple of pulls apiece in the afternoon. Lots of gear in the water. We only had red rocks....They were small....No dungies....Steve said he had done well last season in the areas we worked but I noticed other boats were having a hard time as well.
We didn't take a single crab home but did have a nice time fooling around...

Beee

Jiff

Jun 30, 2009
Lynnwood, Anacortes WA
www.flickr.com
Name
Jeff
Boat
'95 Bayliner Ciera Sunbridge 2655
Left Edmonds around 11am headed north to a usual spot when we got there the Tribe was fishing in the same area WTF soaked 4 pots at 50' for an hour had 1 limit while I was pulling the last pot the Tribe cruised by and asked how I was doing I told them I had a few they pointed towards the shore and said try 25.' I was going to head north so I dropped 2 pots at 25' headed north. Dropped 2 pots farther north soaked for another hour had 8 keepers! went back to the 25' pots had 8 more keepers up sized my catch and headed home. Really surprised that the Tribe helped me out ! Great day on the water ! Talked to TT on the radio didn't see any other BDr's

We also launched out of Edmonds and may have been where you were, but not as shallow as 25 feet. We crabbed from 11am to 4:30 with five pots, first at the bait shack (SE Whidbey) and later north of Edmonds. Got a few keepers but no quick limits like last year at SE Whidbey. Shortly after first dropping our pots yesterday an Indian boat comes by full of pots and picks up a couple more and leaves. Talked to a guy rowing out from the shore and he said the Indians had been in there for two weeks and moved almost all their pots out Saturday, just in time to beat our July 1 opener. Not the first time or place I've seen that happen.

Last edited:

rkcarguy

Dec 4, 2009
North Puget Sound
Name
Ryan
Boat
4' more baylitter than JohnVH
Sad to see, but knew this was coming. The native effort has increased drastically if you ask me. We still have 2 weeks unti our MA7 opener, last years MA7 north opener I must have hauled over 300 crab for 16 keepers, 3 sets of 6 pots on 90 minute soaks.
A guy we talked to at the launch lived on the waterfront and informed us the area had been carpet bombed the weeks before the opener.
I would expect the "southerners" to still reach quota based on sheer #'s of crabbers, but expect to work for it.

LippRipper

Oct 11, 2011
Silverdale, WA
Name
Garry
Boat
22' Intruder
2 pots, 2 pulls (1 hour each) and got 6 dungies. I got a late start (3:30) because of the wife and daughter but not a bad evening on the water with the family. Heading back out there again this weekend.

TouShea

Brian Shea
Apr 5, 2004
Seattle, Wa
Name
Brian Shea
Boat
2003 Seaswirl Striper 2101 WA I/O
Launched with my son at Shilshole at 7:30A well after the main herd had gone through: the launch ramps looked like a ghost town. From the look of all the rigs in the parking lot, I could only imagine the FUBAR rally that must have been going on an hour earlier.

Seeing the beautiful water talked us into the 40 min run to Pt. Ludlow and we were rewarded with 8 keepers in 4 pots on two, one hour drops. Outside and deeper water away from the crab buoy carnival was the ticket for us. After seeing the size of these boys (none were under 7" and 3 were just shy of 8") decided to leave them biting and call it quits shy of our limits knowing we had plenty for one day.

Attachments

tshunt

Starving Fishermen
Nov 28, 2010
Snohomish
Name
Terry
Boat
The SOUND ANGLER
Caught plenty... but most were shorties and/or females. We also threw back a few softies. Fished 4 pots from 10am to 3pm. Only 3 keepers for my son and I in 8-2. Met Fog Ducker at the Everett launch pay station... Sorry I missed your salute. :finger:

hybridcx

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 12, 2009
Sequim, Wa
Name
Jacob
Boat
22' c dory "plus 3"; willie db
let pots go yesterday in the early am, pulled in the evening 4 limits
back out this morning 4 limits
left out there buddies are pulling tonight guessing 3-4 limits.

good start so far and nice size average

ADHD007

Tool Belt
Mar 17, 2012
Federal Way
Name
Mark
Boat
Nauti Ziper
Sucked ass in 13. Jumped aboard FishNg1's boat with Steve and his son. Brought little Dave as well. 4 pots and a couple of pulls apiece in the afternoon. Lots of gear in the water. We only had red rocks....They were small....No dungies....Steve said he had done well last season in the areas we worked but I noticed other boats were having a hard time as well.
We didn't take a single crab home but did have a nice time fooling around...

Beee
Where in 13 were you? I'll be in that area July 5-7. What depth and bait? I'd rather drop my AmEx at Costco for dungies than my pots if it's that bad. Thanks.

KillerBeee

Salt Water Aficionado
Jan 26, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
Name
Dave
Boat
18.5 Tiderunner KillerBeee
Across from the Nisqually delta off Anderson Island. 65-140 ft. I'm sure there can be some good crabbing somewhere down there, just we didn't hit it. It was only for a few hours in the afternoon but I would have thought we would have gotten a few.

oldschool 1

Night Watchman .
Jun 13, 2011
Aberdeen wa
Name
Andy
Boat
Oldschool 2
over night soak ?? is that a puget sound thing ? or am i reading regs wrong ? i swear it said they gotta be out by sundown ? no skin off my ass, do what you want. im gonna go read that fucker again......:finger:

hybridcx

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 12, 2009
Sequim, Wa
Name
Jacob
Boat
22' c dory "plus 3"; willie db
no time they have to be out by during the open dates, just cant go in till 7 am the day of the opener.. otherwise we would be droping them @ 12:01 sunday am....

oldschool 1

Night Watchman .
Jun 13, 2011
Aberdeen wa
Name
Andy
Boat
Oldschool 2
Im no reg book thumper.... far from it. buuut page 135 no pots, set, fished or pulled one hour after sun down.... i could be wrong, i dont know your guys fishreries. i just dont want any brothas to make washington any greener...

rkcarguy

Dec 4, 2009
North Puget Sound
Name
Ryan
Boat
4' more baylitter than JohnVH
over night soak ?? is that a puget sound thing ? or am i reading regs wrong ? i swear it said they gotta be out by sundown ? no skin off my ass, do what you want. im gonna go read that fucker again......:finger:
7am start on the opening day, gear must be out by one hour after sunset on the last day(i.e. you have a wed-sunday season you can leave gear overnight all week if you want, but it must be out by one hour after sunset sunday).
Too often your gear will go missing or get picked if left overnight, so we camp on it and make a day of it.
If you have a safe place to leave the gear overnight it's the way to go, more soak time = more keepers.

outtadablu

Gettin' Ready to go KILL some fishes
Jan 14, 2009
Whidbey Island
Name
Dave
Boat
26' Osprey "Outtadablu"
Quick update as promised. Monday afternoon around 4 gathered up Dale(Ratherbefishin), his wife and daughter and my daughter and launched in Freeland. Ran to not so secret spot and pulled the pots. Pot #1 - 6 keepers-no need to measure, pot #2 - 4 keepers and a bunch of allmosters, Pot #3 - 7 keepers plus a couple softies tossed back for later, Pot #4 - 7 keepers and a couple close enough to pass muster, but cooler was already full, so we tossed'em back for next week. 5 Limits and we were back off the water and divied up by 6pm. Thanks to Dale and all the ladies, we max'd out the boat!
Our half of catch in fish box.
DSCN1260.jpg
DSCN1261.jpg
:finger: Figured a crab salute was in order :finger:
20120702 - Crab Salute #2.jpg
BD's and crabs, oh yea :hali_olutta:

Attachments

Hunter Dan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
5 pots in the water by 8:30 in MA10. Very few pots nearby when we started. First pull, 14 keepers and only 3 people on board! Called my brother and picked him at Edmonds. Second pull of 5 pots and we're at 23 keepers. Culled the 3 smallest and had the boat in dads driveway by 11:40!