How to tie sabiki flies

Derrick.Van

Mar 26, 2019
Los Angeles
Name
Derrick Van
Boat
Don't got one
I need help on what to buy and how to tie a sabiki rig. I really like mackerel fishing and want to step up my game and start tying my own sabiki rigs from the flies to the actual rig. I have no idea what to buy and what to do. I want suggestions on what feathers to use to tie the flies, what hooks to use, what tools I need, and what knots to use to tie the actual rig. I see the successful fisherman on the pier use their own sabiki rigs and their feathers spread out while mine bunch together into 1 big strand. Thanks in advance! I have put so many hours into this going in circles and decided to ask people who already walked the path.

nefarious235

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Savon tackle on Orr and Day road have Lucky Joe hooks for sale by the 100 box. I use dayglow colored embroidery braid and fingernail polish and a cheap fly vise.

Reactions: Dave Coopman

Derrick.Van

Mar 26, 2019
Los Angeles
Name
Derrick Van
Boat
Don't got one
the time spent tying sabiki rigs doesn't seem to warrant the reward
remember Lucky Joes ? they still work, mackerel haven't gotten any smarter
just sayin your time could be better spent
On piers the mackerel can be pretty finicky at times and I only see guys with hand made 12 hook rigs catch. I think the mackerel know not to bite a 6 hook rig or maybe they just think its a small school

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
On piers the mackerel can be pretty finicky at times and I only see guys with hand made 12 hook rigs catch. I think the mackerel know not to bite a 6 hook rig or maybe they just think its a small school
I can maybe see the fun and challenge of making my own sabiki rigs like on a rainy day, but like mentioned above I’d rather spend my time doing something more worthwhile.
I also don’t subscribe to the theory that a six hook sabiki isn’t as effective as a 12 hook sabiki except double the hooks.

When I was a kid/teenager I couldn’t count how many mackerel we caught just goofing around. We would think of creative ways to see how dumb these fish would get as well. I will guarantee you 100% that the best thing for catching mackerel is... wait for it... MACKEREL!

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I've seen a few guys tie really elaborate flys for sabiki rigs on a few piers, they do work better when the mackeral are finicky. Buy a cheap fly tying kit from anglers workshop online, they have everything and then some. Tie different ones and see what works best. If you're bored it's something to do

Reactions: Derrick.Van

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
I tie flies and I don't know that I could ever convince myself that I should be building sabiki rigs. I think there are other forms of self torture I'd rather partake in before I started that project.

Reactions: Arima-bob and tuner

skipjack

Oct 20, 2004
santa maria
Name
skip
Boat
2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
Its not that the 12 hook rig works better than the 6 hook rig,it’s the person that who knows how to use it,verses the inexperienced.
Knowing if the bait is on the surface,half way down or on the bottom helps big time.
The same thing catching squid,experienced fishermen can rail them while an inexperienced person struggles.
Keep at it and take notice what the better guys are doing and adjust your game.

Derrick.Van

Mar 26, 2019
Los Angeles
Name
Derrick Van
Boat
Don't got one
Its not that the 12 hook rig works better than the 6 hook rig,it’s the person that who knows how to use it,verses the inexperienced.
Knowing if the bait is on the surface,half way down or on the bottom helps big time.
The same thing catching squid,experienced fishermen can rail them while an inexperienced person struggles.
Keep at it and take notice what the better guys are doing and adjust your game.
It has to help right? Or why would they spend all that time tying their own flies. All the successful guys all have their own sabiki rigs. I do agree with you about the experience part, something I have to learn

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
I personally woudln't waste my time tying sibiki rigs.. If the store bought ones aren't working tip them with some shrimp. They'll work.

Jeff Hannah

HALIMOTO
Sep 9, 2016
Hb
Name
Jeff
Boat
Play the Red
It’s more technique than anything those pier rats have it down, but if you spend time with them you’ll catch on to that part of it. However My go to is to use hayabusa hot hooks green or red don’t matter sized for the bait you want to catch , cheap white bread balled up and tip the hooks with small squid strips I clean/make before I fish and store in small batches for the shore or the boat... they seem to work for Mack’s and smelt even when no one else is catching bait I do most times...

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
There’s also sabikis you can buy with a small weighted chum bucket for a sinker. Stuff it full of canned cat food, the cheap kind that’s oily

Reactions: Jeff Hannah

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
I tie my own often because I like only 3 or 4 flies per so that they fit inside my sabiki rods, last longer and mine look more like shrimps