How to solder solid rings

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. San Diego, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Many yrs ago when Owner came out with their Stinger trebles, I put them on approx 50 hoo jigs for Jerry Brown and Don Burnside, 2 of the best wahoo fishermen I've known. The next year they brought them back and me replace the trebles with J hooks.....I still put Stingers on yoyo iron.....
Well every time I have fished with jerry and don I smoke them in the Wahoo department :D one trip the boat had 52 Wahoo with allot of troll fish. I had 12 out of the 52 all jig fish. The captain noticed how well they were working for me and he asked me to change his Wahoo jigs to trebbles. To each his own

I bought a bunch of raiders from guy with the trebbles the first time I tried them and the set up was awful. A ring from the jig to a swivel ring, another ring from backside of swivel to a ring to the hook. That's 5 rings like a chain link fence so much hardware for a hoos teeth to get caught up in, especially the swivel hardware. So I cut off the hook and used one ring straight to the hook. Then they stuck gooooooood. When I got rid of the swivel and all the unnecessary rings the hook was very tight to the jig which is where I like it to be. So the fish bites the hook often even when they t-bone it which is the most common Hoo bite. I prefer not to hope the jig slides in order to seat the hook.

Btw, I sure miss fishing with Mr.Brown and Big Daddy. I have the utmost respect for them :)

Last edited:

Olddog8

Well-Known "Member"
May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
Is there someone in San Diego that will re-ring/hook some jigs at a reasonable cost so I don't have to buy and store yet more fishing paraphernalia?

Last edited:
Reactions: matta57

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Is there someone in San Diego that will re-ring/hook some jigs at a reasonable cost so I don't have to buy and store yet more fishing paraffinela?
Either Dana Landing or Fisherman's Landing can do it for you. I'm pretty sure they both have a guy they use for that.

rodblder

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
Agree. Huge pain.

With silver:

View attachment 873861

With bronze (X-Raps are silver brazed on lure side):

View attachment 873862
I use silver on bait hooks even for large bait hooks, never had one break(over 50,000 done), I use 56% 1/32" Silver
Only use bronze on jigs(yt, tuna, and wahoo)
I Probably have 40,000 Rings, Mostly Rosco, Some Ringlord
Is there someone in San Diego that will re-ring/hook some jigs at a reasonable cost so I don't have to buy and store yet more fishing paraphernalia?
Squidco also does ringing....

Reactions: Olddog8
Dec 15, 2016
Huntington Beach
Name
Shane
Boat
Alex
I use silver on bait hooks even for large bait hooks, never had one break(over 50,000 done), I use 56% 1/32" Silver
Only use bronze on jigs(yt, tuna, and wahoo)
I Probably have 40,000 Rings, Mostly Rosco, Some Ringlord

Squidco also does ringing....
You guys even do your rig our ring bait hooks?

SQUUID

Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles
Name
Peter
Boat
Trophy Pro 2052 Bayrunner 20 CC Zodiac 10
x2 on using stainless tig rods. Tig rods come in various diameters and many welding supply shops sell the rods by the pound. I usually buy a quarter pound of different diameters. Typically 5-7 bucks a pound. You can also use drill bits as the mandrel for forming the rings...use a vise to lock the drill bit and rod and use muscle to form the rings. Then cut the coil with a heavy duty cutter....real simple.

If your brazing flux is drying up...you can add water to it and mix it up. Works like a champ.

Reactions: TEAMFISH

dh515

Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
I cut a gasket out of a thin sheet of rubber to line the inside of the lid. Flux doesn’t dry up now.

dh515

Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
This stand works pretty good for Marauders too.
D5E7FED3-7F7B-4A7D-BD88-6C6D2D7C2A11.jpeg

0DDE3103-9F4C-4557-B1CB-16B15DEF7D2E.jpeg

Reactions: Bill W and Steel8

rodblder

Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
Clean job, looks like you're using silver solder, wahoo will break these, consider switching to using bronze rods instead of silver, MUCH stronger....can't tell you how many wahoo jigs and bombs etc done with silver I've had to replace hooks and swivels, also recommend using size 6 (Rosco) rings...jmo

dh515

Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Clean job, looks like you're using silver solder, wahoo will break these, consider switching to using bronze rods instead of silver, MUCH stronger....can't tell you how many wahoo jigs and bombs etc done with silver I've had to replace hooks and swivels, also recommend using size 6 (Rosco) rings...jmo
Thanks for the suggestions. I am using silver but just got a Little Smith Torch set up which is much hotter and should be able to do bronze.

rodblder

Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
Thanks for the suggestions. I am using silver but just got a Little Smith Torch set up which is much hotter and should be able to do bronze.
I use map gas with bronze, Propane withsilver, Bought the Bronze rods on ebay...

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
is there an easy setup for the bronze rods and the mapp gas? I thought I had everything with the silver, now it appears that doesn't work on jigs well? Which torch and gas, and which bronze rods, should be used? I link or a specific description that I can look up would be most helpful. Thanks!

rodblder

Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
Same setup using the Smith torch except by use map gas instead of propane, map bottles are yellow, propane blue at home depot, do a search on eBay for bronze braizing rods, Buy the smallest diameter you can find
Use a larger torch tip for the map to get a hotter flame

Reactions: T.O.T.W.

dh515

Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Same setup using the Smith torch except by use map gas instead of propane, map bottles are yellow, propane blue at home depot, do a search on eBay for bronze braizing rods, Buy the smallest diameter you can find
Do you still use oxygen with that set up?

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Use a larger torch tip for the map to get a hotter flame
Have you ever found bare bronze in 1/32"? I've only found 1/16".