Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
After my ten day, I’ll give it a video shot. Until then, buy Rosco rings #3 and 4S are my favorites (4 if you use bigger cow hooks). Go to Ace and buy their package of silver braze and flux. Be careful the flux dries out too quickly. This brazing wire is the easiest I have found. If you can’t manage it with this wire, buy ringed hooks. Use two small pliers, not needle nose. Get the two ends of the butt rings perfectly flush. Make one of these jigs shown below. I made this one for a friend as a friend made one for me a while ago.

Put the end to be silver soldered straight up in the alligator clip. If you have a hook hang it down and try never to heat the hook. Add a small dab of solder in the gap. Unroll silver brazing wire long enough so you don’t get burned (How do I know that?). Small flame on torch on the gap with the silver brazing wire right behind but not touching. As the flux melts away and the ring heats gently move the wire back and forth over the gap. Less heat and less solder is better as long as the gap is completely covered. A rhythm forms and your timing will improve with each ring. Let it cool and test it with two tied loops of 80# mono. Even the little #3 should not break and not bend for any reasonable pull like 30#-40#. Clean the ring or the flux may corrode it. Old toothbrush and soap if you don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner. Buy bandaids if you touch the end of the brazing wire or the new ring too soon.

Check them in superb light with glasses if needed after you are done very carefully. A bud hooked a cow and fought it for a while with and un-soldered ring and then lost it. The line with the open ring came back after the loss. The deckhand was not to kind and advertised his stupidity.

Best of luck

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
I'll get you started with some stuff you'll need ahead of the tutorial...

Several places to get rings: ringlord, C&T Designs, Rosco. You can make them, too, but it's PITA. Ringlord has a PDF you can print so you know what size you're ordering.

For solder, 56% silver is most common. Use the thinnest you can get...1/32". You can braze this stuff with a piezo butane torch. The bernzomatic is decent, not spectacular. I used to do all my rings with silver. Now, I use it mostly for hook rings and for small, or plastic baits that can't handle the heat. Black flux for the silver.

For jig rings, I use a 1/16" bare bronze rod and powdered flux. More heat is needed for this, so MAPP gas or acetylene or oxy/acetylene is required. The bronze braze will be far more resistant to oxidation and corrosion. It's also strong as hell. Once you get it down, this connection is pretty much unbreakable.

To hold the ring in place while heating, you can attach alligator clips to a board.

For tools, bent needle-nosed pliers are great for closing rings, bolt cutters for removing old rings (tip: cut across the what would be the ring diameter--like you want to turn an "O" into "( )")

IMG_9970.JPG

IMG_9971.JPG

IMG_9972.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_9968.JPG

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
After my ten day, I’ll give it a video shot. Until then, buy Rosco rings #3 and 4S are my favorites (4 if you use bigger cow hooks). Go to Ace and buy their package of silver braze and flux. Be careful the flux dries out too quickly. This brazing wire is the easiest I have found. If you can’t manage it with this wire, buy ringed hooks. Use two small pliers, not needle nose. Get the two ends of the butt rings perfectly flush. Make one of these jigs shown below. I made this one for a friend as a friend made one for me a while ago.

Put the end to be silver soldered straight up in the alligator clip. If you have a hook hang it down and try never to heat the hook. Add a small dab of solder in the gap. Unroll silver brazing wire long enough so you don’t get burned (How do I know that?). Small flame on torch on the gap with the silver brazing wire right behind but not touching. As the flux melts away and the ring heats gently move the wire back and forth over the gap. Less heat and less solder is better as long as the gap is completely covered. A rhythm forms and your timing will improve with each ring. Let it cool and test it with two tied loops of 80# mono. Even the little #3 should not break and not bend for any reasonable pull like 30#-40#. Clean the ring or the flux may corrode it. Old toothbrush and soap if you don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner. Buy bandaids if you touch the end of the brazing wire or the new ring too soon.

Check them in superb light with glasses if needed after you are done very carefully. A bud hooked a cow and fought it for a while with and un-soldered ring and then lost it. The line with the open ring came back after the loss. The deckhand was not to kind and advertised his stupidity.

Best of luck
Good stuff! You type faster than me. And your ring holders are WAY better!

Last edited:
Reactions: dh515

alan760

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 7, 2003
Encinitas, CA
Name
Alan
Boat
American Angler
Wrote this about 10 yrs ago so some things have changed. Using 4s rings for my big tuna hooks rather than 5s and butane torch instead of propane. Price on supplies probably have changed but I haven't bought supplies in a few years except for silver solder wire. Practice on large rings first to get the feel of brazing.

http://www.scsurffishing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21772

Josa1

Jul 17, 2009
San Pedro, CA, USA
Name
Joe
Boat
Red Rooster III
I'll get you started with some stuff you'll need ahead of the tutorial...

Several places to get rings: ringlord, C&T Designs, Rosco. You can make them, too, but it's PITA. Ringlord has a PDF you can print so you know what size you're ordering.

For solder, 56% silver is most common. Use the thinnest you can get...1/32". You can braze this stuff with a piezo butane torch. The bernzomatic is decent, not spectacular. I used to do all my rings with silver. Now, I use it mostly for hook rings and for small, or plastic baits that can't handle the heat. Black flux for the silver.

For jig rings, I use a 1/16" bare bronze rod and powdered flux. More heat is needed for this, so MAPP gas or acetylene or oxy/acetylene is required. The bronze braze will be far more resistant to oxidation and corrosion. It's also strong as hell. Once you get it down, this connection is pretty much unbreakable.

To hold the ring in place while heating, you can attach alligator clips to a board.

For tools, bent needle-nosed pliers are great for closing rings, bolt cutters for removing old rings (tip: cut across the what would be the ring diameter--like you want to turn an "O" into "( )")

View attachment 873686

View attachment 873687

View attachment 873688

View attachment 873689

View attachment 873690
What is the info on the powdered flux. I've tried several different types and have had poor success. Thanks! for your nice post!
josa1

fishdoggary

I do what I want Bitch!
Aug 23, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Gary
Boat
Intrepid
Sorry I got busy with work and jig orders. I will try and finish it this weekend and send it to Ali.

dh515

Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
Good stuff! You type faster than me. And your ring holders are WAY better!
If you don’t want to make a ring holder, this works bitchin. Two clips will easily hold up a heavy jig. Base is heavy enough not to move or tip and has rubber feet. This is the gf’s kitchen table but she isn’t home. :D

CA72CC21-E48B-4AB0-8E6A-A07545EC6901.jpeg

64E82149-B600-4812-A719-CD62B8412104.jpeg

Amazon product

Last edited:

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Reactions: Josa1

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
This works fine and you can get it from Amazon for around $7. Just go to Amazon and search for "SE MZ101B". Nothing fancy, but gets the job done. Sometimes I just use one alligator clip and mount directly to the base with one attachment point. I'm not doing rings in volume and don't need multiple holders. It has enough flexibility to allow you to solder in a raised position or with the heavy jig on the table.

If you have difficulty with seeing the solder flow on the smaller rings, this Flexzion helping hand is better in my opinion. The magnifier is separate and you can aim at the ring while you solder. Its not easy to see the solder flow unless you have magnifier or a microscope on the smaller rings. Sometimes you can do it by feel but to inspect it properly, you have to see it very up close to verify the solder flowed all around the ring and there are no gaps. If you use this one, I would ditch the solder iron holder unless you are using it to hold the pencil torch. At the least I would swing the holder to the right so it doesn't get in your way.

Last edited:
Reactions: dh515

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Those who fish LR I highly suggest making a ringing kit. Choosing the style of hook you want on a jig or ringing hooks opens up allot of doors.

l changed all of my wahoo jigs to owner 4x trebbles. Hook up ratio increased allot for how I fish and also brings the hook points closer to the jig

rodblder

Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
Those who fish LR I highly suggest making a ringing kit. Choosing the style of hook you want on a jig or ringing hooks opens up allot of doors.

l changed all of my wahoo jigs to owner 4x trebbles. Hook up ratio increased allot for how I fish and also brings the hook points closer to the jig
Many yrs ago when Owner came out with their Stinger trebles, I put them on approx 50 hoo jigs for Jerry Brown and Don Burnside, 2 of the best wahoo fishermen I've known. The next year they brought them back and me replace the trebles with J hooks.....I still put Stingers on yoyo iron.....

Reactions: stephen campbell

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Many yrs ago when Owner came out with their Stinger trebles, I put them on approx 50 hoo jigs for Jerry Brown and Don Burnside, 2 of the best wahoo fishermen I've known. The next year they brought them back and me replace the trebles with J hooks.....I still put Stingers on yoyo iron.....
Well every time I have fished with jerry and don I smoke them in the Wahoo department :D one trip the boat had 52 Wahoo with allot of troll fish. I had 12 out of the 52 all jig fish. The captain noticed how well they were working for me and he asked me to change his Wahoo jigs to trebbles. To each his own

I bought a bunch of raiders from guy with the trebbles the first time I tried them and the set up was awful. A ring from the jig to a swivel ring, another ring from backside of swivel to a ring to the hook. That's 5 rings like a chain link fence so much hardware for a hoos teeth to get caught up in, especially the swivel hardware. So I cut off the hook and used one ring straight to the hook. Then they stuck gooooooood. When I got rid of the swivel and all the unnecessary rings the hook was very tight to the jig which is where I like it to be. So the fish bites the hook often even when they t-bone it which is the most common Hoo bite. I prefer not to hope the jig slides in order to seat the hook.

Btw, I sure miss fishing with Mr.Brown and Big Daddy. I have the utmost respect for them :)

Last edited:

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
Is there someone in San Diego that will re-ring/hook some jigs at a reasonable cost so I don't have to buy and store yet more fishing paraphernalia?

Last edited:
Reactions: matta57

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Is there someone in San Diego that will re-ring/hook some jigs at a reasonable cost so I don't have to buy and store yet more fishing paraffinela?
Either Dana Landing or Fisherman's Landing can do it for you. I'm pretty sure they both have a guy they use for that.