How to solder solid rings

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Shanethelipripper, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Shanethelipripper

Shanethelipripper Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    Alex
    any good video to watch? What rings would you buy? Is there one solder better then another? Any suggestions?

2. T.O.T.W.

T.O.T.W. Time On The Water

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    Someone was working on a tutorial...fishdoggary, maybe?

3. mmayo

mmayo Barking Spider

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    After my ten day, I’ll give it a video shot. Until then, buy Rosco rings #3 and 4S are my favorites (4 if you use bigger cow hooks). Go to Ace and buy their package of silver braze and flux. Be careful the flux dries out too quickly. This brazing wire is the easiest I have found. If you can’t manage it with this wire, buy ringed hooks. Use two small pliers, not needle nose. Get the two ends of the butt rings perfectly flush. Make one of these jigs shown below. I made this one for a friend as a friend made one for me a while ago.

[​IMG]

Put the end to be silver soldered straight up in the alligator clip. If you have a hook hang it down and try never to heat the hook. Add a small dab of solder in the gap. Unroll silver brazing wire long enough so you don’t get burned (How do I know that?). Small flame on torch on the gap with the silver brazing wire right behind but not touching. As the flux melts away and the ring heats gently move the wire back and forth over the gap. Less heat and less solder is better as long as the gap is completely covered. A rhythm forms and your timing will improve with each ring. Let it cool and test it with two tied loops of 80# mono. Even the little #3 should not break and not bend for any reasonable pull like 30#-40#. Clean the ring or the flux may corrode it. Old toothbrush and soap if you don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner. Buy bandaids if you touch the end of the brazing wire or the new ring too soon.

Check them in superb light with glasses if needed after you are done very carefully. A bud hooked a cow and fought it for a while with and un-soldered ring and then lost it. The line with the open ring came back after the loss. The deckhand was not to kind and advertised his stupidity.

Best of luck

4. T.O.T.W.

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    I'll get you started with some stuff you'll need ahead of the tutorial...

Several places to get rings: ringlord, C&T Designs, Rosco. You can make them, too, but it's PITA. Ringlord has a PDF you can print so you know what size you're ordering.

For solder, 56% silver is most common. Use the thinnest you can get...1/32". You can braze this stuff with a piezo butane torch. The bernzomatic is decent, not spectacular. I used to do all my rings with silver. Now, I use it mostly for hook rings and for small, or plastic baits that can't handle the heat. Black flux for the silver.

For jig rings, I use a 1/16" bare bronze rod and powdered flux. More heat is needed for this, so MAPP gas or acetylene or oxy/acetylene is required. The bronze braze will be far more resistant to oxidation and corrosion. It's also strong as hell. Once you get it down, this connection is pretty much unbreakable.

To hold the ring in place while heating, you can attach alligator clips to a board.

For tools, bent needle-nosed pliers are great for closing rings, bolt cutters for removing old rings (tip: cut across the what would be the ring diameter--like you want to turn an "O" into "( )")

IMG_9970.JPG

IMG_9971.JPG

IMG_9972.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_9968.JPG

Gerry Chinn, Otis2527, dh515 and 2 others like this.
  5. T.O.T.W.

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    Good stuff! You type faster than me. And your ring holders are WAY better!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    dh515 likes this.
  6. alan760

alan760 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Wrote this about 10 yrs ago so some things have changed. Using 4s rings for my big tuna hooks rather than 5s and butane torch instead of propane. Price on supplies probably have changed but I haven't bought supplies in a few years except for silver solder wire. Practice on large rings first to get the feel of brazing.

http://www.scsurffishing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21772

7. Josa1

Josa1 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Red Rooster III
    What is the info on the powdered flux. I've tried several different types and have had poor success. Thanks! for your nice post!
    josa1

8. fishdoggary

fishdoggary I do what I want Bitch!

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Sorry I got busy with work and jig orders. I will try and finish it this weekend and send it to Ali.

9. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    If you don’t want to make a ring holder, this works bitchin. Two clips will easily hold up a heavy jig. Base is heavy enough not to move or tip and has rubber feet. This is the gf’s kitchen table but she isn’t home. :D

CA72CC21-E48B-4AB0-8E6A-A07545EC6901.jpeg
    64E82149-B600-4812-A719-CD62B8412104.jpeg

Bill W, tugasangler, Steel8 and 3 others like this.
  10. T.O.T.W.

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    I've used regular borax and am currently using this stuff,
    http://www.superiorflux.com/anti-borax-no-2-bronze-brazing-flux/

Both work okay and both are better than the coated rods which have far too much flux on them.

Josa1 likes this.
  11. Josa1

Josa1 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Red Rooster III
    T.O.T.W. likes this.
  12. rodblder

rodblder I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    none at this time
    here are some pics of my various hook ringing jigs when I solder, old pic held 32 hooks, later i added more, now holds 64 hooks/jigs, i often do hundreds at a time for a local tackle shop

hookRingingJig.jpg hookringing 001.jpg

EL COMA and dh515 like this.
  13. ShadowX

ShadowX I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    This works fine and you can get it from Amazon for around $7. Just go to Amazon and search for "SE MZ101B". Nothing fancy, but gets the job done. Sometimes I just use one alligator clip and mount directly to the base with one attachment point. I'm not doing rings in volume and don't need multiple holders. It has enough flexibility to allow you to solder in a raised position or with the heavy jig on the table.

[​IMG]

If you have difficulty with seeing the solder flow on the smaller rings, this Flexzion helping hand is better in my opinion. The magnifier is separate and you can aim at the ring while you solder. Its not easy to see the solder flow unless you have magnifier or a microscope on the smaller rings. Sometimes you can do it by feel but to inspect it properly, you have to see it very up close to verify the solder flowed all around the ring and there are no gaps. If you use this one, I would ditch the solder iron holder unless you are using it to hold the pencil torch. At the least I would swing the holder to the right so it doesn't get in your way.

[​IMG]

dh515 likes this.
  14. Shanethelipripper

Shanethelipripper Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    Alex
  15. T.O.T.W.

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    I dig that bungee configuration. I've been using a vice with tape for padding to hold marauders.

16. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    ZZZZZ
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Those who fish LR I highly suggest making a ringing kit. Choosing the style of hook you want on a jig or ringing hooks opens up allot of doors.

l changed all of my wahoo jigs to owner 4x trebbles. Hook up ratio increased allot for how I fish and also brings the hook points closer to the jig

Rodless_Jim, Fishybuzz and dh515 like this.
  17. rodblder

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    none at this time
    Many yrs ago when Owner came out with their Stinger trebles, I put them on approx 50 hoo jigs for Jerry Brown and Don Burnside, 2 of the best wahoo fishermen I've known. The next year they brought them back and me replace the trebles with J hooks.....I still put Stingers on yoyo iron.....

stephen campbell likes this.
  18. rodblder

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    none at this time
    I Did About 50 Marauders Few Yrs Ago, Developed The Bungee System, Painintheass To Do....

T.O.T.W. likes this.
  19. T.O.T.W.

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    Agree. Huge pain.

With silver:

IMG_8955.JPG

With bronze (X-Raps are silver brazed on lure side):

IMG_1041.JPG

20. Shanethelipripper

Shanethelipripper Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    Alex
    That what I'm doing changing out all my jigs out. Any suggestion for heavy irons, surface irons, colt snipers?