How to Rig Yummy Flyers for the kite

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by renegademike, Jul 29, 2011.

1. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    Wouldn't using 200lb line and multiple anglers shorten the fight and thereby have the same result as backing down on a fish? Of course it would. Also wouldn't a gut hook single hook be worse than a treble hook in the mouth of a fish? Of course it is. Try to find a captain that believes a treble hook is less likely to pop out than a single hook. It is difficult. Saying trebles hooks are bad because they cause more damage isn't true as they aren't used for the same purposes. But of course a circle hook is the best for a fish, but it is also the highest landing rate for anglers.

2. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    If you want to be real sporting try it with no hooks.

3. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    wow this thread getting like the patty poaching threads....
    Just gotta love BD......LOL

4. SCHeadhunter

SCHeadhunter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Sold to the man with $$$
    I just rigged up another one with a fat stinger hook sticking straight out the back and I feel good. Really good !!

bajabills and dh515 like this.
  5. bajabills

bajabills Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    blackman fishmachine
    Thanks for the pics of rigging the yummy. And to the
    LR boys fishing the kite with the stinger. Me I love
    My fish to have as many hooks in his mouth as it takes to land him. And yes if he eats 130 instead of 30 lb good ., he's gets on the boat faster. And yes I'm a meat fisherman. But I do release as I see fit, yes , and always within the confines of legal take. I really don't like to play with my food. But than again, I'm not setting any records either, and do I care? No. But I do enjoy the ocean experience and eating Organic, wild caught fish and wildlife. But no
    Never been interested in playing with my food. To those who sport fish good for you.
    I really don't like paying someone to handle my food.
    If I can get it fresh myself.

6. bajabills

bajabills Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    blackman fishmachine
    I liked your rigging photos and tips . It's a great post
    And I too just rigged up a couple more with the stinger treble hooks. Why? Because I can. And call me short bit, but hopefully hooked up. :-)

SCHeadhunter likes this.
  7. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    This is silly. Go fish with what you like.

We are 15 and 1 this season on single hooks out the tailpipe. 3 and 0 on trebles. We prefer the single for simplicity and lack of foul hooking. We hook the majority of the fish in the corner of the mouth and pull hard.

Feel free to continue speculating...

8. Rubberhook2

Rubberhook2 Local Bluefin

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    None
    More hooks more better....
    FlatFall.JPG

9. stephen campbell

stephen campbell aka "Soup"

Name:
    Stephen Campbell
    Boat:
    S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
    Don't worry, NO politics or ethics, just fishin"
    Putting together my yummy-gummy rigging kit for a dec 12 day on the EX. Spose not wanting to miss out on hot chocolate chip cookies I should plan to rig the EX way, big J with heavy stinger. My question is why aren't they fished with a big circle from the top like a live or dead real FF is rigged? I know the EX rig is sound and proven no question, the single big circle no stinger has it's following also. Seems like the big circle from the top would allow the hook to work as designed, for one reason, the time of relative slack line from strike to the time of the fisherman catching up. Fish swims away, line to corner, line comes slowly tight. I know "don't question success", and I do like hot cookies so I will rig on the boat! Just a new old guy that has never even seen a kite flown ahahaha

10. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    Because they don't swallow the lure on many strikes as it is in the air half of the time. Would work fine if you trolled it without skipping. Anyway, 300-400lb leader should mean no worries on chaffing.

11. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Tim, I missed that picture last year. Seems like a shitload of hardware, but if it works... Recently I saw another similar rig using the big single hook on the bottom and two pairs of hooks top and bottom although they were the assist hooks rigged with Kevlar. Clearly, at the depths we fish those FlatFalls, stealth is not a factor.

Listened to an episode of LTHU a short while ago and the guest was also advocating multiple hooks with the strategy of hopefully hooking the fish in the face as the jig gets inhaled. Hoping to actually hook the fish outside the mouth, keeping the line from getting into the teeth, avoiding getting chewed off. I like it!

12. SCHeadhunter

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Sold to the man with $$$

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  13. Tom Honaker

Tom Honaker Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom Honaker
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    A limit of 2, in my opinion doesn't fall into the meat fishery category! I catch 1 good fish, I'm good! If I am fortunate enough to hook another, I hand it to someone. In a normal fishermans life, how many trips have we fished, watching bluefin be bluefin? I can't in anyway, find a ethical equivalent of sport caught bluefin to seiners, bluefin wrapped for the pens or any other commercial purposes! If it was just a sportfishing take, the population of these great fish would be extremely healthy! You want to talk about what is a sporting, and what is not! Well purse seining in my opinion falls under the latter cattagory!

2454 big mike and Fishybuzz like this.
  14. Rubberhook2

Rubberhook2 Local Bluefin

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    None
    Not my Flatfall Steve but apparently it accounted for over 10 big BFT on the Thunderbird. Most bites come at night so don't think it matters. I rig my Flatfalls with an 11/0 Owner Offshore or a 5/0 Owner 4X treble. If you get the bite you want it to stick obviously, especially while pulling on heavy gear with heavy drags.

Same with the Yummy Flyers. I trap rig mine with the same 5/0 Owner 4X trebles with a heavy leader on heavy gear. Most times it is all the way down the throat as this picture notes and at times I just leave it in there because it is too hard to get out. One and done kind of thing.

I know some guys want to be all sporting and all but for me I want the fish on the boat and I am not going to be gentle in that quest. In fact if there is a big smoke trail of blood at color from a torn gill from that treble down it's throat all the better as I was going to bleed it anyway...

photo25.JPG

bajabills and SCHeadhunter like this.
  15. SCHeadhunter

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Sold to the man with $$$
    I love big treble stinger hooks.
    And how did this thread get rehashed? I guess everyone got tired of advocating the Rasta session on the back of a long ranger?

16. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    Might be a stupid question but why does no one use wire for rigging these. I know cuttoffs are rare but wouldn't wire make cuttoffs almost imposable