May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
IMG_2954.JPG
What size treble is that?
They are the owner stingers. I believe it is the 6/0 but I am not exactly sure. Like I mentioned earlier, I haven't bent one yet. The lead hook is a forged 9/0, the Stinger is coming off the eye of the lead hook. 250 lb leader.
Penn 30 2 speed, 550yd 100 lb spectra spliced to 150yd of 130 lb spectra spliced to 50yd 200 lb tied straight to snap swivel. 35 lbs of drag. It winds there asses in!
When we are at color, we are 200 lb spectra to the 250 leader. I think we would have bent one if we were going to.
We also run a 3 oz slider to get the bait to flatten out and skip better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Woodeneye

May 23, 2007
North Orange County
Name
Chris
Boat
Striper 2300
Does it matter whether main hook is coming up through the back or facing down towards the belly? I just had one rigged at my local shop and it's hook down, tied, not crimped. The stinger is crimped same hooks as mentioned above.

Upvote 0

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
Does it matter whether main hook is coming up through the back or facing down towards the belly? I just had one rigged at my local shop and it's hook down, tied, not crimped. The stinger is crimped same hooks as mentioned above.
Out the top

Upvote 0

lucky 100

"Swordfish Searcher"
Aug 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Captain O
Boat
Reel Caliente
Ok guys have a question regarding flyers !
Called Turners this morning looking for flyers and they just got 4 in 2 rigged that I will re rig and 2 not rigged. Called Frenzy Tackle "Glow in the dark" blue color. Have you used this brand it sure looks similar to what is catching fish ??
Any thoughts I will be rigging as suggested with single hook and trebel stinger.
Buenos Suerte on the tunas !!

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Ok guys have a question regarding flyers !
Called Turners this morning looking for flyers and they just got 4 in 2 rigged that I will re rig and 2 not rigged. Called Frenzy Tackle "Glow in the dark" blue color. Have you used this brand it sure looks similar to what is catching fish ??
Any thoughts I will be rigging as suggested with single hook and trebel stinger.
Buenos Suerte on the tunas !!

Not sure about those but Fishermans Landing had a wall full of them on Tuesday.

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Make sure your leaders are longer than 6'. Especially for those Cows! found out yesterday after my friends leader was really short. Whoppaa! Tail whipped!! Snap!!

Too long of a leader and you'll be standing there watching that fish lay just out of gaff range...especially if your rails/gunwales are low. The ones I've seen rigged by those "in the know" are around 4'. If you go straight spectra to the short leader, you risk the snap. Besides the shock absorption, it's another reason to have a length of 200-lb shock leader between the spectra and the flyer rig.

Upvote 0

fuj

Almost A Member
    Aug 13, 2006
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    nope
    Too long of a leader and you'll be standing there watching that fish lay just out of gaff range...especially if your rails/gunwales are low. The ones I've seen rigged by those "in the know" are around 4'. If you go straight spectra to the short leader, you risk the snap. Besides the shock absorption, it's another reason to have a length of 200-lb shock leader between the spectra and the flyer rig.

This. Kite leaders of every type used on long range boats for cow yellowfin are about 3-4 feet in length, including Yummy rigs.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    Has anyone tried the $4 free shipping from china?

Have You ?

I have a few, and I don't not see much differences in them form the few I have seen here in tackle shops, I do know that the some of the more expensive ones are made of a more durable material,

I have flown one of the ones from china for a couples hours , and it flew well , but i rigged them myself , also it shows no damage from the use (so far)

View attachment 858352

Upvote 0

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
    USA
    Name
    JM
    Boat
    Still Looking
    Not much discussion on the art of rigging as it applies to "sport" fishing. Double and triple hook stingers are not igfa allowed if that matters to anyone as well as 50 yards of 200# test top shot.
    There comes a time when you transition into "meat" fishing by taking out the "sport".
    The historical connection is that the BFT really drove the art and credibility of sportfishing for this country in the early days off of Catalina. Now the trend is to get your trophy at all costs with any regards to sportsmanship and is about 180 degrees from the founders intent. The tackle shops like Melton's and those in SD at least owe the consumer a discussion on the difference.
    I know this will be an unpopular take, but we have to consider the ramifications for our sport. If the rec (non-commercial) fisherman falls into the "meat" fishing category, than what really separates him from the commercial/seiner types? Do we even have a leg to stand on when it will come time to manage the resource equitably? If I were the commercial guys, I would hammer this point for sure - decreasing the gap between the two by going away from known sportfisherman standards.
    I have a lot more admiration for those that can land their fish within the igfa guidelines, without non-sanctioned stinger hooks or out of spec top shots, be it for tuna, marlin, swordfish, halibut, etc.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I can only imagine what might have been the reaction of Zane Gray, back in the day when he was fishing linen line, catgut and knucklbuster reels.

Some thing like: "Hell yeah, get me some of that!"

Reactions: SCHeadhunter
    Upvote 0

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
    USA
    Name
    JM
    Boat
    Still Looking
    Or maybe not? Having read many of his adventures, he was a high integrity fisherman who certainly would play by the igfa rules and would report his own infractions.

It is an interesting contrast between old and new technology and then going to extraneous means beyond what many consider normal tackle setups.I would liken it to a corked bat or a cut baseball, you would then put an asterisk by each homer or strike out? Go ahead and hang your cow, but revealing that the treble stinger was well deep in the fish and created bleeding trail to the boat is a bit off putting as others have posted, as it reveals the true intent of the treble hook. Then Put an asterisk on a posted photo and get on with it, I struggle to see the sport side of that set-up and wonder how far the technology advances have truly taken the recreational sportfisherman.

In my opinion the BFT is a tremendous pelagic species that deserves more respect. I also wonder if there is a real understanding of the take of rec fish to an igfa standard or not?

Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler-

Born To Fish
    Jul 27, 2017
    Dana Point
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    Lumping sport boat fisherman with commercial purse seiners based on actually harvest take (quota) is nothing short of insanity in my view! Harvesting BFT on rod and reel even when you take into consideration ALL the west coast sport boats and privates combined will NEVER equate to even one haul of an individual large commercial purse seiner with a half mile long net that is trapping massive amounts of fish... not individually harvesting them. The angler has to LURE a fish to eat his offering so the BFT actually has a choice... more often than not they elect NOT to take our offering has been my experience. On the commercial side the BFT does not have that choice... they just get trapped and harvested by the thousands and are even more screwed today with the advent of better electronics spotter planes and drones, etc.

With regards to angling accomplishments, I agree that there are some who are much more interested in photo ops than they are in true angling feats where the battle is a more "fair" competition... with more of a challenge for the angler at stake. No way to convert those anglers IMO as they are fishing for their own ego (bragging rights) than for the love of the game. And then there are many west coat angers who have been so frustrated fishing for the elusive BFT over the years that they will do anything they can to put one of those larger models on the boat (kind of a don't get mad.. get even stance).

G

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
    USA
    Name
    JM
    Boat
    Still Looking
    Lumping sport boat fisherman with commercial purse seiners based on actually harvest take (quota) is nothing short of insanity in my view! Harvesting BFT on rod and reel even when you take into consideration ALL the west coast sport boats and privates combined will NEVER equate to even one haul of an individual large commercial purse seiner with a half mile long net that is trapping massive amounts of fish... not individually harvesting them. The angler has to LURE a fish to eat his offering so the BFT actually has a choice... more often than not they elect NOT to take our offering has been my experience. On the commercial side the BFT does not have that choice... they just get trapped and harvested by the thousands and are even more screwed today with the advent of better electronics spotter planes and drones, etc.

With regards to angling accomplishments, I agree that there are some who are much more interested in photo ops than they are in true angling feats where the battle is a more "fair" competition... with more of a challenge for the angler at stake. No way to convert those anglers IMO as they are fishing for their own ego (bragging rights) than for the love of the game. And then there are many west coat angers who have been so frustrated fishing for the elusive BFT over the years that they will do anything they can to put one of those larger models on the boat (kind of a don't get mad.. get even stance).

G

I hear you, the analogy to commercial take was more so related to heavier/more lethal gear than the recognized standard. It puts the rec take for that particular event into a gray area, which in my opinion blurrs the fine line between the two camps.

It becomes more of an education issue and less of the ends justifies the means approach. Maybe some people are completely unaware of the development of "sport" fishing? I would like to think that I can take a pelagic with today's modern tackle with established norms (igfa) without the use of a lethal stinger. If the old timers could do it with inferior tackle, why wouldn't I have the skill and ability to with all the good stuff we have today?

Are we better fisherman than those guys nearly a 100 years ago or maybe not?

Upvote 0

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    Sold to the man with $$$
    I hear you, the analogy to commercial take was more so related to heavier/more lethal gear than the recognized standard. It puts the rec take for that particular event into a gray area, which in my opinion blurrs the fine line between the two camps.

It becomes more of an education issue and less of the ends justifies the means approach. Maybe some people are completely unaware of the development of "sport" fishing? I would like to think that I can take a pelagic with today's modern tackle with established norms (igfa) without the use of a lethal stinger. If the old timers could do it with inferior tackle, why wouldn't I have the skill and ability to with all the good stuff we have today?

Are we better fisherman than those guys nearly a 100 years ago or maybe not?
    Since when is a treble hook unsportsmanlike? We can go back and point a finger at many modern improvements in offshore big game tackle. 2 speed reels ( now 3 speeds) spectra lines, precision hooks, lures, kites, you name it.
    In the world of big tuna fishing on the west coast, it really took a turn when guys started using the rail. Literally having gear made to use the rail of a long range sport boat. Is it bad? NO. Is it unsportsmanlike? Your call.

Same goes in my other favorite sport.
    Do you hunt big game with a rifle or a bow? If you bow hunt, do you use a compound or a re-curve?

This epic bluefin fishing won't be here long, and personally I fish it because it's great sport and I enjoy responsible harvest. I like to eat it and so does my family. Plus, getting it to all come together is the game. Preparation + opportunity = success.
    We go to great lengths to get our gear properly tuned and rigged to have a reasonable shot at these delicious trophies. I'm not always fishing for an IGFA record. If and when I do, I follow the rules. If we are within the fish and game laws and practice responsible harvest, then I say carry on.

Reactions: Black-is-Back
    Upvote 0

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
    USA
    Name
    JM
    Boat
    Still Looking
    Since when is a treble hook unsportsmanlike? We can go back and point a finger at many modern improvements in offshore big game tackle. 2 speed reels ( now 3 speeds) spectra lines, precision hooks, lures, kites, you name it.
    In the world of big tuna fishing on the west coast, it really took a turn when guys started using the rail. Literally having gear made to use the rail of a long range sport boat. Is it bad? NO. Is it unsportsmanlike? Your call.

Same goes in my other favorite sport.
    Do you hunt big game with a rifle or a bow? If you bow hunt, do you use a compound or a re-curve?

This epic bluefin fishing won't be here long, and personally I fish it because it's great sport and I enjoy responsible harvest. I like to eat it and so does my family. Plus, getting it to all come together is the game. Preparation + opportunity = success.
    We go to great lengths to get our gear properly tuned and rigged to have a reasonable shot at these delicious trophies. I'm not always fishing for an IGFA record. If and when I do, I follow the rules. If we are within the fish and game laws and practice responsible harvest, then I say carry on.
    This is the typical "the ends justifies the means" approach so prevalent in our generation.

A treble stinger located well aft of the main hook is absolutely unsportsmanlike as its purpose is to mame and mortally injure the BFT and render it less capable of putting up a "fair" fight. There are provisions for two hook set-ups in ifga rules and these proper tenants of sportfishing do not only apply to record fish. Why not use a single hook stinger in the proper orientation? Why do you need a treble? These are personal decisions but I would tend to give it thought before selecting my gear. I think the capture of a bleeding gill/gut treble hooked BFT satisfies some but is not a great indicator of sportfishing skill - that is my opinion. I know there are others here who do not advocate treble stingers, just opening the discussion.

There are 3 factions fishing our waters, commercial, sport boats, and rec. I am addressing the rec side. You have the advantage of maneuvering your boat during the fight, which is a whole other skill set to be learned. Not (yet) talking about a anchored or fixed cattle boat.

Trophy hunting or fishing is something I love to do, but I match the tackle to the challenge. No need for a moose rifle to take a deer and it is far more of a sporting act to eliminate a trailing treble stinger. The opportunities of the last few years are not so rare anymore, next year we will see a bigger grade of fish, but that does not mean the rec angler has to turn into a Wicked Tuna commercial fisherman in order to get his "trophy".

I have too much respect for the BFT to turn it into a meat fishery.

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
    Jun 21, 2009
    So Cal
    Name
    Hey you
    Boat
    245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
    If the rec (non-commercial) fisherman falls into the "meat" fishing category, than what really separates him from the commercial/seiner types?

If you choose to fish and follow igfa regulations, I can completely respect that. But..

For you to even remotely group commercial fishing Seiners and a sport fisherman together based on what size test and hook configuration a sport fisherman uses is absolutely maddening!

I've been lucky enough to put two of these local Jumbo's on my boat in the last 3 years. Both of those fish were landed with no stinger just a single number nine on the back of the yummy.

It would be embarrassing to say how much I have spent on fuel and Tackle to put those two fish on Deck. Let's just say I could have bought the same amount of bluefin, plate by plate at restaurants and probably still have saved money.

If that puts me in the "meat" fisherman category, so be it!

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    There is no pissing involved, why are you afraid of an open conversation? There are topics beyond the obvious.
    Is it a millennial thing?
    well maybe not yet but it will be soon LOL...
    people knocking how others rig their yummies... pretty soon it will get down to what line you should use on your reels... fish the way you want as long as its with the legal rules and regulations... why knock how others fish... just BS .....

Upvote 0

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
    USA
    Name
    JM
    Boat
    Still Looking

If you choose to fish and follow igfa regulations, I can completely respect that. But..

For you to even remotely group commercial fishing Seiners and a sport fisherman together based on what size test and hook configuration a sport fisherman uses is absolutely maddening!

I've been lucky enough to put two of these local Jumbo's on my boat in the last 3 years. Both of those fish were landed with no stinger just a single number nine on the back of the yummy.

It would be embarrassing to say how much I have spent on fuel and Tackle to put those two fish on Deck. Let's just say I could have bought the same amount of bluefin, plate by plate at restaurants and probably still have saved money.

Single hook and no stinger, awesome catch, that's my whole point, there is a more sporting way! Much respect .....

And yes, it is an expensive endeavor, putting money into the CA economy which should give us all a voice at the resource management table. It is really about the pure experience not the money.

Upvote 0

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    Sold to the man with $$$

I am all about fair chase and appropriate gear.
    And I have caught many jumbos on single hooks and what do you know, I still fish a harness on cow YFT.
    But I don't think that putting a treble on the back of my skipping rubber flyer is disrespectful to the mighty bluefin.
    Fact is, the quicker it's on the boat, not getting overheated, the better the fish is at the table. I practice catch and release on many species. When I'm skipping the yummy, I'm am fishing for our table. And I take them one at a time. I am one of those who respects the catch, spikes and bleeds, ices and I prefer to cut my own fish when I can.i enjoy the entire process. It connects me to the food chain.
    Rig up how you want to. Fish 50 lb IGFA STANDUP tackle and have at it.
    It's all good.

Upvote 0

ninj

ninj
    Jan 18, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    John White
    Boat
    20' glasstron CC '77 sea fury
    Not much discussion on the art of rigging as it applies to "sport" fishing. Double and triple hook stingers are not igfa allowed if that matters to anyone as well as 50 yards of 200# test top shot.
    There comes a time when you transition into "meat" fishing by taking out the "sport".
    The historical connection is that the BFT really drove the art and credibility of sportfishing for this country in the early days off of Catalina. Now the trend is to get your trophy at all costs with any regards to sportsmanship and is about 180 degrees from the founders intent. The tackle shops like Melton's and those in SD at least owe the consumer a discussion on the difference.
    I know this will be an unpopular take, but we have to consider the ramifications for our sport. If the rec (non-commercial) fisherman falls into the "meat" fishing category, than what really separates him from the commercial/seiner types? Do we even have a leg to stand on when it will come time to manage the resource equitably? If I were the commercial guys, I would hammer this point for sure - decreasing the gap between the two by going away from known sportfisherman standards.
    I have a lot more admiration for those that can land their fish within the igfa guidelines, without non-sanctioned stinger hooks or out of spec top shots, be it for tuna, marlin, swordfish, halibut, etc.

At Dana Landing, we rig the majority of our fliers with a single hook coming out of the tail of the bait and pegged into an upright position. We keep a few rigged with a treble hook attached to the back, because some customers insist on that rigging.

Rigging with the treble hanging behind the lure will many times end up wrapping around your leader fouling your lure.

I'm a strong proponent of the single hook rig, I think it has a better land to hookup ratio for our customers.

I try to suggest an igfa type heavy tackle rig. 130 pound braid to a 200 pound wind on leader (25') to 3' of 400 to 500 pound mono leader for the lure.

Most guys will fight the fish from the rod holder, but a properly set bucket style harness will land these fish without too much trouble.

Reactions: PacificBlue
    Upvote 0