How to rig for trout while trolling nightcrawlers...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by USMCfish, Feb 27, 2011.

1. USMCfish

USMCfish USMC-FISH

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Tuna Can
    Can someone give me some specific rigging facts for rigging for trout while trolling, last 2 times I have done it I always get terrible line twist and I am using a swivel but its not working right... What is the best technique for this... thanks much bruthas! :hali_olutta:

2. Slater

Slater cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    sold! / cattle boat
    Going to try Jennings, heard they r suicidal on the slowtroll right now...
    Small sliding egg sinker on your mainline with a small swivel & then some leader should do the trick...

3. MeCrankMate

MeCrankMate TheLegendOfTheLuckyScale

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Float Tube "Shark Dougnut"
    You can try a trolling weight, it has a fin like projection that acts like a keel and stops the line from twisting. They usually have a swivel on both ends for attaching the main line and the leader. Also, try using and end-line knot, like a rapala knot. That stops the line twist alot of times. If you are trolling night crawlers, try using a bead/flasher rig... they come pretied with a baitholder hook and can be trolled in a number of ways... never had one twist up on me and the added color/flash is great for trout.

4. el capo

el capo Member

Name:
    miguel
    Boat:
    none
    Check out the wedding ring type lure, add NC if needed.

5. MotoHero

MotoHero Going Mobile

Name:
    Dwayne
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback "Forgiven"
    maybe a better swivel and going slower. regular troll freshwater lures is 2.0-2.4 mph for me and slow troll maybe at 1.0-1.5. I put my lure in the water next to the boat to see if it is working properly and what speed gets the best action. I have found brand new Rapalas rolling or just not working right.

Dwayne

my .02

6. Albacrazy

Albacrazy NUCKIN FUTS 4 2NA

Name:
    Drew
    Boat:
    18' Coleman
    I use a worm threader and thread the worm up the line and leave maybe an inch off the end of the hook. Keeps line twist to a minimum and prevents short strikes as well.

7. Excaliber

Excaliber Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    sold
    When we used to fish Miramar, Cuyamaca, Jennings or any other clearwater lake we used a small piece of nightcrawler on a size 12 bait holder hook.

Put a small split shot up a foot from the hook and troll with your electric motor 100' behind the boat. The trout can't resist.

8. USMCfish

USMCfish USMC-FISH

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Tuna Can
    outstanding thanks for all your help gents...

9. bondxman

bondxman Newbie

Name:
    Yung
    Boat:
    12 Alum
    I was wondering if anyone has tried Berkley or Gulp trout worm in lieu of nightcrawler for trolling?

10. Rodman 28

Rodman 28 Newbie

Name:
    Mark Stephen
    Use a bait needle to thread nightcrawler on leader....above the hook place a small bead so your nightcrawler does NOT slide down the hook, then place a 2 inch piece of nightcrawler on the hook & leave about 1 inch sticking out pass the hook, kind of like a "Little Tail".....always use bait holder hooks, preferably with multipule barbs on the shank. When you get a fish hooked it, the fish shaking it's head will cause the nightcrawler to slide up the leader...thus allowing you upon unhooking the fish, to slide the nightcrawler back down the leader to the bead stop....placing another 2 inch fresh piece of nightcrawler on the hook & be back fishing, thread the worm so that the narrow end is at the front of leader & the "head" (thick end) is against the bead stop. I would troll at no MORE than 1.5 mph....you want the dodger to just "Slightly" rock, side to side...NOT ROTATE!!!......also smearing your dodger with fish gel is a good idea....leaves a scent trail as you troll.....Good Luck.....Mark

11. davidk

davidk Member

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Parker 18
    Yes, works great (fake trout worms). If you want to eliminate line twist with either a power worm or nightcrawler, use a small jighead. Simple, no twist, still gets bit. I particularly like the heads that are flat from side to side. They tend to slide and dart slightly from side to side. 1/32 to 1/16 seem to work best for me.

12. DoubletroubleII

DoubletroubleII Fish On!

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    19' Harbercraft
    Worm threader is the way too go!

13. Curadokat

Curadokat Sick Treeman

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    NADA
    I have had my best results using Owners new Slow death hooks...They made em for trolling crawlers on trap rigs and such...My usual set up is either a Kokanee troll or a ford fender...4ft of 4-6lb flouro..All tied with a palomar knot...This seems to be the least twist prone set up for me..especially at a .5 -1.5 troll

14. Oldsrtfx

Oldsrtfx Paladin

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Clackacraft
    Hi, I saw your post but thought you were asking about something more complicated, something I knew nothing about. If you are indeed trying to troll for fresh water (or brakish water) trout, its a lot easier than you think.
    First go get some "flashers": these were sold as sets or strings of multiple, hookless, spinner blades to be trolled in front of baits. The most common were Cowbells and Ford Fenders. Attach them to your terminal tackle using a high quality barrel swivel. Most of these come with thier own b-swivels but more is better. It is the plastic keel of these old timey trout killers that prevent the rig from rolling and giving you the trollers nightmare: line twist. Use a #12 snelled bait hook (smaller or larger is OK) at the very end. Do not get all fuzzed up about how to attach the crawler. Just pinch it in half so that your fingers, the rig and everything else gets gooyey, stick it on the hook and take off. Troll sloooowww; slow enough to feel the pulsing of the spinners. Use a rod lighter than you thought of and watch it twitch. If you really want to kick back use a blob of Powerbait. Lazier yet: attach a Kastmaster or Lazy Ike, but do try to avoid napping while in tow. I have taught dozens of kids and countless rookies how to fish doing this. Now its all Sage, Winston, #22 midges and shit that I can longer even see. Have a beer and think of me as you troll.
    Pete

15. Reel hip

Reel hip Meet my "Well known Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    25ft Skipjack fly
    That is what I did at Jennings last friday and we got our limit. Face it line will twist eventually. Start with new line and you should make it for a few trips no problem.Keep the worm straight that helps too!

16. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    Less is more....get some monofilament sewing thread(about .5 lb test) and a size 18 salmon egg hook.Thread the worm on straight as others have said.Go slow as you can and still controll the boat.
    The half pound test mono is available at sewing stores.You will have to back off the drag about as far as it goes with out the drag nug falling off and use your finger to stop the spool from turning as you fight the fish.If you don't get bit doing this they aren't biting.

17. mdh

mdh Newbie

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    n/a
    The Power worms have been slaying @ Jennings and Cuya on the slow troll.

18. nellie

nellie Let's Ride!

Name:
    nellie
    Boat:
    none
    No insult intendeed...But...When you load your spool, are you winding it on in the right direction?....Also if you continue to get that nasty twisty birds nest, remove all the hardware from your line every 30 minutes or so. Then troll forward letting out line and that may help straighten it out.

19. oh da shiz

oh da shiz did you say go pheeesh

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Ranger Z21
    I slow troll NC at Dixon lake all the time and just fly line the NC. I have not had an issue with line twist as I just use a small, small hook and slide the NC onto the line with the hook about half way down the NC. The key for me to troll super slow and keep an open bail and free spool on the slightest bump. The other is I let the line out over 100 feet behind the boat and hit the slowest speed for about 15-20 sec then nuetral and repeat, limits usual in less than 30-45 min.

May not work for all but, works for me all the time.

20. 247

247 Newbie

Name:
    JONES
    Boat:
    22' Bahia
    X2