goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    5200 works and it is a bitch to remove But it won't leak. heat will aid in its removal. But if properly installed and allowed to cure it won't leak.o_O

Last edited:
    Reactions: Fish Asassin
    Upvote 0

Uncle Binky

Proficient at swapping lower units
    Oct 17, 2010
    Monroe WA USA
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Herring Voices - Grady White 265 Express
    The Goat said it - 5200.

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    My understanding is the sealant properties of 4200 and 5200 are pretty much the same. The adhesive properties of 5200 are much stronger obviously. In that application I use 4200 as crazy adhesive properties are not needed due to the strong mechanical properties of the thru hull transducer assembly. 5200 definitely will work but way overkill and a bitch to take apart later.

Reactions: KimH and Titan
    Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    If using a very long term product, like a bronze through hull, I'd use 5200 for it's more permanent properties. Anything that will be taken apart within a few years, 4200 will do it.

Upvote 0

53driver

Almost A Member
    Sep 20, 2008
    Mackay Marine, Fife Wa.
    Name
    Dave/Olex
    Boat
    19' Livingston Viking 'Iku Turso'
    Update: the transducer is out. It just took some heat and a bigger pair of channel lock pliers. There was surprisingly little sealant between the 'ducer and the hull. Never leaked a drop tho, despite being installed almost 10 years-ago.

The hole size and location are the same as I need for the new transducer. Is 5200 the recommended sealant for the new install?

All we use at our shop to seal most anything is Boatlife Lifeseal. Sticky and seals great, but gives you a fighting chance to remove the part later in one piece if needed. We occasionally relaunch a boat with out it being cured without a problem (boat hanging in the sling for a transducer install only haulout)

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat
    21' Center Console
    If that's 5200 under the nut it needs heat...in my opinion.

Kim is on the money. You don't need a torch. If you don't have a heat gun go to harbor freight and pick one up for $15. Heat all around it for a good 5-10 min, keep the gun moving. a good long pipe wrench 18-24" should twist it right off.

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    Kim is on the money. You don't need a torch. If you don't have a heat gun go to harbor freight and pick one up for $15. Heat all around it for a good 5-10 min, keep the gun moving. a good long pipe wrench 18-24" should twist it right off.
    Yup it looks like that's what he did. The Kid actually maybe kind of sort of listened to his Uncle. Damn it's tough being right all the time.:D:D

Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Yup it looks like that's what he did. The Kid actually maybe kind of sort of listened to his Uncle. Damn it's tough being right all the time.:D:D
    Damn Whipper Snappers![emoji214]

Reactions: KimH
    Upvote 0

Nick Rudnick

Nov 20, 2014
    Edmonds
    www.rudnickmfg.com
    Name
    Nick R
    Boat
    17' Aluminum Skiff

If its a harbor freight heat gun, get two. The first one will only last 30 seconds:frehya2:

Reactions: Elkfins
    Upvote 0

evilkhemist

Mar 17, 2005
    Sorrento
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Parker 2510xld
    I also used everyone's advice today to remove a b60. I started with pb blaster and then used some heat. I alternated a couple of times and then used a chisel and hammer to rotate the nut. Took about 15min total to remove the old transducer that had 5200 on the threads. Now I just have to muster up the courage to put a bigger hole for the b175hw that I just purchased. Thanks for the info guys.

Upvote 0