How to remove fresh, incorrectly mixed guide finish ?

mike mitchell

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
The short story.
I tried a different way to measure and mix rod finish. 5 days later it is still tacky. This was the second coat on the guides. The first time I applied finish it set up as expected. Tried a heat gun and only got tackier.

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
I am afraid thar the brush will stick to the un cured finish.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Remove it somehow,maybe a scraper and then acetone.Putting another coat of properly mixed epoxy over a bad batch will not cure the bad batch.Don't ask me how i know.

Hotroddin

Feb 15, 2012
FC Colorado
Name
Matt Riddell
Boat
Fish Cat 4 "Seafood"
Remove it somehow,maybe a scraper and then acetone.Putting another coat of properly mixed epoxy over a bad batch will not cure the bad batch.Don't ask me how i know.
Probably the same way I know it can work... cause we've both tried it. :D

Mike, I'd suggest trying another coat on a guide or two to test. If it doesn't turn out OK, you'll have to strip it down. Nice part about guide wraps, if you can work the tag end loose, you can unwrap it and a lot of the finish will come off with the thread. Doing so to 10-20 guides will also make you very careful about how you mix and apply finish in the future lol

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
throw another coat for shits 'n giggles. you have ALL to gain, and if it doesn't work, you had ta cut off the faux pas anyhow...

i've had tacky finishes harden after applying a second coat of perfectly mixed clear.

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Is there any reason why you couldn't weigh both the A and B components of your finish before mixing?

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
How did you reinvent the wheel this time? I need a story to tell my grandkids one day.
Well it all started at the swap meet....
Actually I was trying to use a measured plastic cup to pour equal amounts of A and B. In theory it should have worked but I screwed the pooch.

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Pretty sure the correct ratio is determined by volume and not weight.
I am in complete agreement with you but it seems simple enough to determine the difference and apply it to all future batches.

FWIW: I always mix it 50/50 by volume and have never had a tacky batch.

Reactions: Mtnfshr

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
steel wool , and laquer thinner. get as much of the bad finish off as possible, and then recoat. mix by volume . bring it by , i can fix it, like dozens of other , lol.
Thanks for the offer. Your work is really good. One thing I try to do is to dig myself out of my messes. The only way I learn.

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
Dec 28, 2017
Lake Los Angeles, CA
Name
Hector Garcia
Boat
I need a ride.
I just had a customer with the same issues. I added another properly mixed pro kote and the tacky went away.

How do you mix it wrong? They come with syringes to properly mix appropriate ratios.

skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat
plastic fantastic
Well it all started at the swap meet....
Actually I was trying to use a measured plastic cup to pour equal amounts of A and B. In theory it should have worked but I screwed the pooch.
Well hey congrats, you're not the first to try that method. Grab some acetone and scrub it off like it's the Coronavirus. That should clean it right up. Worse case scenario you cut it all off.

Reactions: mike mitchell

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
I just had a customer with the same issues. I added another properly mixed pro kote and the tacky went away.

How do you mix it wrong? They come with syringes to properly mix appropriate ratios.
Not all the supplies come with syringes at Squidco.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Is there any reason why you couldn't weigh both the A and B components of your finish before mixing?
My guess would be A doesn't weigh exactly as much as B at equal volume.

Reactions: Mtnfshr

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
Well hey congrats, you're not the first to try that method. Grab some acetone and scrub it off like it's the Coronavirus. That should clean it right up. Worse case scenario you cut it all off.
I think that I am at the worst case scenario now. Give me something to do in the rain!

Hotroddin

Feb 15, 2012
FC Colorado
Name
Matt Riddell
Boat
Fish Cat 4 "Seafood"
Getting the measurements slightly wrong ain't that bad, at least you had A and B in the cup. One time I mixed up 10cc of hardener and 10cc of hardener... talk about slow drying!

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Getting the measurements slightly wrong ain't that bad, at least you had A and B in the cup. One time I mixed up 10cc of hardener and 10cc of hardener... talk about slow drying!
I believe i've done the same thing.Too many beers and a ringing phone are my excuse.