How to keep your saltwater boat looking new!

trucdev88

Aug 25, 2017
Vietnam
keo7m.com
Name
Tommy Tran
Boat
It sounds interesting. I always look for cleaner can wash dirty on my car. However, my country is Vietnam. How can I get most of them to experience. I love my vehicles most, I want to find the most clean for my car.

martinm3

Week-End Warrior
Feb 21, 2015
Orange County
Name
Mark martinez
Boat
Hydra Sport. DC
What a great post post full of useful information. I'm using your tips to get my boat looking great again for the season!

mittron

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 1, 2018
Fl
Name
Mitt W.
Boat
Sportsman
Looks great. I use 303 products also, and my fave wax is Collinite.

Mar 3, 2018
Colorado
Name
David
Boat
Boston Whaler
Great tutorial. I just bought a salt water boat in Florida to use in fresh water in Colorado. Have to pass inspection before I can put it on the water - Colorado is trying to keep the invasive Zebra Mussels from getting into the water supply and they have a corps of committed inspectors at every boat ramp.
Your step-by-step instructions and materials will make it possible.
Thank you!

MF78

Oct 28, 2018
USA
Name
Miko
Boat
Princess 55 Flybridge
Keeping canvas clean is an essential first step, but don't wash or dry your canvas in a household washer or dryer; doing so will destroy the fabric very quickly. Instead, use a light brush, mild soap (Woolite, Dreft, or Dawn), and lots of fresh water to remove dirt, salt, bird droppings, and other abrasive materials.

Reactions: sueno

Crupples

Crupples
Sep 29, 2011
Arizona
Name
Chris Rupp
Boat
OverKill
Does anyone use a bleach formula on the deck after fishing? It works nice but ya have to wash the deck a few times. Its about the only place I use bleach. That and the bilge.

Bhoff

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 3, 2018
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
Robalo
Thanks Jim! Great detail and explanations of each use of product. I followed your instructions for my boat and it looks great. Let it dry over night and now need to spray on the woody wax. About the buffer, it is only for polishing and waxing the outside of the hull? I don’t own one but thinking about purchasing

Bhoff

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 3, 2018
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
Robalo
Give me a call Jacob. I am Owner Operator of Harbor Detail. I service all Southern California!! 9492905302
I follow you on insta. Seem very good at what you do. I will probably be calling you around February/March for the new season.

Jul 8, 2020
Oak Hills, CA
Name
Michael Englebrecht
Boat
25 ft Skipjack
My Detailing Procedure...

I just partnered up on a 2000 23' striper. Overall it was in pretty good condition but found some spots that needed some love. It also just need an overall detailing. Here is how I spent my weekend. Hopefully you'll gain some tips to keep your boat looking brand new!

1. Wash Inside, Top with West Marine Biodegradable Crystal Wash. Outside was washed with Meguiars Premium Boat wash

2. Take Bronze Wool and Woody Wax to all the aluminum that is slightly discolored. If it looks good already just take a micro fiber cloth and wipe it down with a light coat of woody wax

3. Painted Name - we didn't like the name painted on the boat so we wanted to remove it. Best thing I found was "EASY OFF" oven cleaner. Spray it on, let it set for 30 minutes and use a stiff brush to scrub off. May take several applications. You'll also need to polish and wax that part because the paint will show a tad even after it's gone.

4. Rust - the boat had several rust stains that I wanted gone. I used StarBrite Rust Stain Remover and a medium bristled brush. As you can see, it worked like a charm. I used a little flitz metal polish to make it sparkle a little more. The spot where the drain plug is needed some more love from soft scrub with bleach.

5. Snaps - I hated on my other boat when snaps would be a pain in the ass to use. I first used a toothbrush to clean up the snaps with flitz metal polish then applied some Vaseline to make sure it stays lubed up and easy to use. It made a world of difference! I also wd-40's all the moving parts.

6. Buttons - On the back seat the buttons were pretty bad off. I taped off the area, used a stainless brush on my dremel and wiped it clean. I then used the dremel metal compound and a polishing bit to get it to shine.

7. Plastic Windows - I treated all the windows with Meguirs PlastX plastic cleaner/polish. It made the windows look almost brand new! Huge difference even on windows that were sitting for 4 years.

8. Vinyl Seating - I first cleaned up all the vinyl with Star brite Vinyl cleaner and polish. This stuff got every spot off the seats, looked brand new. After they dried I applied 303 Protectant to keep the UV's off my bum pad.

9. Black Marks on the fiberglass - we all get those shoe scuffs or mysterious black marks on the gunwhales. The easiest thing to use is regular $0.10 pink erasers. Works like a champ.

10. Outside - There was some light oxidation on the outside so I purchased a Porter Cable 7424 Buffer (amazing) , some compounding pads and some bow to stern one step polish/waxer. I also applied armorall to the black rail all the way around. It now shines like a wet boat.

11. Deck - I used soft scrub with bleach but it wasn't getting everything so I went hardcore and bought some 3M non skid deck cleaner. It took everything up! Looks like a new deck now.

Forgot to add a few things...

12. All the window zip ups I ran chap stick along the teeth. Makes a big difference, everything zipped up nice and easy. Also gives a little protection against corrosion

13. Black Rails - I had a bunch of scuff marks from where the black rub rails along the outside of the boat hit the dock or worse. I tried a bunch of cleaners, none worked except for magic erasers from mr clean. Took the white spots off nicely. Just wet them, and scrub the white marks with the white side

14. Wax the deck. The final step was to mist the deck. Spray 3-6 sprays of woody wax on the deck, get a big soft paint brush, and brush in the woody wax all over the deck. Then just take the host on full power and spray the deck until it's not slippery. That will leave a nice protection on for 3-4 trips so blood or stains come off super easy.

All in all it took two straight days. Around $600 of supplies (which should last a few years). The boat looks pretty much brand new. I couldn't find a spot on her.
What a great post! Lots of stuff I didn't know.