How to keep fish fresh on boat? Looking for large cooler bags?

kzhlin

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
N/A
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any tips on keeping the fish fresh? Usually I like to bonk the fish, spike the head (iki jime), gut the fish, and put it on ice ASAP.

However, what do you do on 3/4 day boats? The gunny sacks don't do that great of a job of keeping the fish cold and the boats don't allow personal coolers (at least the boats I've been on). Right now all I do is land the fish and rip out some gills to bleed... Feels weird if I carry a stick to bonk the fish with.

So what do you guys do? When I come home with gunny sack fish, they smell kind of fishy and stinky...

*** Does anyone know where I can buy a large insulate cooler bag (kill bag) about 36" or so in length for cheap? Saw charkbait selling 36" kill bags for $150... So expensive...

Last edited:

bradnoble

Backcountry Snowboarder
Aug 8, 2009
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Name
Brad
Boat
19' Glasstron
What I used to do is this: they allow 5 gallon buckets on board( at least they used to). Fill bucket with ice and top off the top 4 inches with dry ice , put on bucket lid and take on board. Ice stays frozen till next day. Crew thinks it's your gear. Put ice on fish in gunny sack after bleeding etc..... Much better product....

Reactions: kzhlin

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
before the advent of todays various onboard cooling systems, we just kept the sack wet all day. Was the meat mushier back then? yup.

but then again, overnight charter trips were in the $25 range.....and 3/4 day trips were?????

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
Keeping the sack wet will cool the fish two ways first it keeps the sack at the water temperature which is cooler then the air. second the evaporation of the cool water in the sack causes the same cooling effect as a swamp cooler. This tends to help the worst thing to do is leave them in the sun without keeping them watered down. The mates usually have a hose and clean the deck I bring a 2 gallon bucket with a rope and get my own water in=between the hosing down of the bags.

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
I wonder what would happen if you just brought a block of ice and stuck it in your gunny sack.

Freeze water in old juice bottles so no fresh water gets on the fish

kzhlin

Apr 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
N/A
I've read those before, but I was asking what to do on party boats because all they give you is a gunny sack...

kzhlin

Apr 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
N/A
I wonder what would happen if you just brought a block of ice and stuck it in your gunny sack.

Freeze water in old juice bottles so no fresh water gets on the fish

I was thinking about something similar... Plastic trash bag inside funny bag and make an ice slurry in there.

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
Feb 12, 2010
Chula Vista
Name
mike
Boat
'99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
Do a lot of boats come with that? For the 3/4 day boats I go on, the closest thing to RSW is the bait tank... Lol.
You need to fish in SD ,on the San Diego.

sushimaster

Paddy Spotter
Sep 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Scott
Boat
I Wish... Ho with Dough
Went out on the SAN DIEGO out of Seaforth Landing 2 weeks ago. It was a 3/4 day boat and they run offshore for tuna. Yes, they have a refrigerated saltwater system onboard. Every tuna I caught was in great condition when it came time for the guys to hack it up. And I caught fish on the first stop of the day and all throughout the day. Give them a shot. Nice big boat, great skipper and crew, low to the water, and consistently has great numbers on the tuna. For a 3/4 day boat, you won't find many others that keep your fish as cold and fresh as the SAN DIEGO. (reason I put in all caps is because people just don't get it... It is the name of the boat lol) . Hope this helps

Randy V

Slamma Jamma
Mar 19, 2008
Insane Diego, CA
Name
Randy
Boat
30' Kona Star
Does anyone have any tips on keeping the fish fresh? Usually I like to bonk the fish, spike the head (iki jime), gut the fish, and put it on ice ASAP.
No need to bonk if you are spiking.

Spiking stops body movement but heart still beats to allow blood to be pumped out for the bleeding process.

Reactions: Blackfish

kzhlin

Apr 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
N/A
Went out on the SAN DIEGO out of Seaforth Landing 2 weeks ago. It was a 3/4 day boat and they run offshore for tuna. Yes, they have a refrigerated saltwater system onboard. Every tuna I caught was in great condition when it came time for the guys to hack it up. And I caught fish on the first stop of the day and all throughout the day. Give them a shot. Nice big boat, great skipper and crew, low to the water, and consistently has great numbers on the tuna. For a 3/4 day boat, you won't find many others that keep your fish as cold and fresh as the SAN DIEGO. (reason I put in all caps is because people just don't get it... It is the name of the boat lol) . Hope this helps
Thanks! It's so hard to book a trip right now... Everything is getting booked!

Johnlgarrison

The ultimate goal is memories not dreams.
Jul 27, 2009
Temecula CA USA!
www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
Name
Johnny Garrison
Boat
Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
Buy one gallon distilled water they cost about $1.50 and freeze them, Distilled water seems to freeze and last longer. Drop them in your gunny sack. That may help. The best idea is fish a boat with RSW

sushimaster

Paddy Spotter
Sep 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Scott
Boat
I Wish... Ho with Dough
Kevin, the New Lo-an out if point loma has been running a 3/4 day trip every once in a while. (It's going out Monday and just came home with LIMITS) They have a refrigerated saltwater system also. This boat is top notch. Get on it if you can. Markus (skipper/owner) is an absolute stud and not only puts you on the fish, but his crew and entire operation is the best in S.D. You will not regret it!!!

Reactions: kzhlin