How to identify a stroke - save a life - good info here

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
My brother sent me this and i though it was genius, read it, it may save the life of your loved one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT color=navy><FONT color=navy>ffice:office" /><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
&#65533;
</B> I wholeheartedly agree. If we can all remember something this simple, we could save some folks.</BLOCKQUOTE><B>

Please!
</B><B>

STROKE IDENTIFICATION
</B>
&#65533;&#65533;During a Barbecue, a friend stumbled and took a little fall. She assured everyone that she was fine and had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. (they had offered to call paramedics). They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food and while she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening.
<B>

Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital. (At <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = U1 /><U1:TIME Hour="18" Minute="0">6:00 PM</U1:TIME>, Ingrid passed away). She had suffered a stroke at the Barbecue. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.
</B><B>

It only takes a minute to read this.

A neurologist stated that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.
</B>
&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;RECOGNIZING A STROKERemember the '3' steps S. T. R.
<B>

Read and Learn!
</B>
Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.
<B>

Now Doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

</B>
S* Ask the individual to 'Smile.'
<B>

T* Ask the person to 'talk,' to 'speak a simple sentence coherently. (i.e., It is a sunny day today).

R* Ask them to 'Raise Both Arms'.

NOTE: Another sign of a stroke is this:

Ask the person to 'stick out' their tongue. It the tongue is 'crooked' that is if it goes to one side of the mouth or the other it is an indication of a stroke. If they have trouble with 'any one' of these it is an indication of a stroke.

Call 911 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.
</B>

harryo

harryo
May 9, 2005
San Diego
Name
Harry Okuda
Boat
sold
Thanks, Jason. I had a stroke 35 years ago. It was not diagnosed until I visited a doctor 2 days later. Fortunately for me I survived with some permanent damage, not enough to prevent me from fishin. Do you have any idea as to the immediate treatment. If it is due to a clot, I imagine the immediate treatement would be to get rid of the clot. Sea ya!
harryo

fisherbaby

Oct 25, 2007
San Diego
Name
Andy
Boat
thanks for the life saving info. We might thank you a TON later down the road if this helps save a loved one. THANKS

Firebird

Apr 15, 2007
OC
Name
Chris
Boat
19' Boston Whaler KB Lynne
This is a valuable tool that we in the fire service use, among many other things to help us determine if it is possible that a patient is having a stroke.
If I am not mistsaken, I beleive it was developed by the Cincinati Fire Department and has been proven to be about 85% effective in stroke determination.
If you can do these before we arrive, we can hit the ground running and start in on the next phase of intervention. As with anything in emergency medical services, the sooner we get started with treatment, the better for the patient.
I think "CPRguy" offered a CPR and First Aid class for BDers this Month. It may be worth you time.

Az.monkey

Oct 27, 2003
PQ
Visit site
Name
Karl
Boat
Which one ?
This is a valuable tool that we in the fire service use, among many other things to help us determine if it is possible that a patient is having a stroke.
If I am not mistsaken, I beleive it was developed by the Cincinati Fire Department and has been proven to be about 85% effective in stroke determination.
If you can do these before we arrive, we can hit the ground running and start in on the next phase of intervention. As with anything in emergency medical services, the sooner we get started with treatment, the better for the patient.
I think "CPRguy" offered a CPR and First Aid class for BDers this Month. It may be worth you time.

Not so sure of the name Chris, my EMT cert is good until 12/08 but a refresher wouldn't hurt at bit with the shit I'm dealing with lately. Take this inexpensive class people, a few hours of your life will save that of a loved one

Bank Robber

Hyperbolist
Apr 9, 2006
Merritt Island
Name
Dean
Boat
F/V Bank Robber
Thanks for the info Jason I'm going to save this to my memory for sure. STaR

Markimus

Atracarium
May 5, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Mark
Boat
I wish
If it's identified quickly and you can get to an emergency room fast, you will usually get a TPA (tissue plasminogen activator) which is a very strong clot dissolver. About 80% of strokes are caused by clots.

cretin

Dec 4, 2004
Lost
Name
Dave
Boat
sank
Never knew that...hope I never have to use it....Ive had alot of people tell me Im a stroke!!

harryo

harryo
May 9, 2005
San Diego
Name
Harry Okuda
Boat
sold
If it's identified quickly and you can get to an emergency room fast, you will usually get a TPA (tissue plasminogen activator) which is a very strong clot dissolver. About 80% of strokes are caused by clots.
Thanks, Mark for the answer. Sea ya!
harryo

fshnbn

fshnbn
Mar 4, 2005
Huntington Beach,Ca.
Name
Craig
Boat
20' Thunderbird Wakebreaker
That is so cool ,awsome,and every word I can express Bringing awarness ,I had one,if I did not be forced to go to E.R. same would,a happen to me.

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
Not so sure of the name Chris, my EMT cert is good until 12/08 but a refresher wouldn't hurt at bit with the shit I'm dealing with lately. Take this inexpensive class people, a few hours of your life will save that of a loved one
You just want to give some guy the tongue........

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
Feb 6, 2003
El Cajon
youatplay.com
Name
Frank
Boat
25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
Time is muscle...Heart muscle, if in doubt go get checked out.

Firebird

Apr 15, 2007
OC
Name
Chris
Boat
19' Boston Whaler KB Lynne

Karl,
You are right. The guy's screen name is "CPR man". He is a Firefighter down your way in SD. He made an announcement about holding a CPR and First Aid class for BDers in Dec. but I haven't heard any more about it. I even PM'd him offering to be an assisant instructor but I never heard back from him.
If I wasn't such a dummy, I could figure out how to insert the link to his post.

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
If you suspect a stroke, it could be a blocked vessel or hemorrhagic. As Markimus mentioned most are from a block. But if it's hemorrhagic, you can't really tell. Don't recline somebody that is having a stroke in case it is the latter. They could get in big trouble really fast. Good thread.

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
That's great, but in our RR3 case, even a doctor and a nurse didn't diagnose the stroke, until it turned real bad.
Sometimes even experts don't see the signs.
Not like much could've been done anyways, 12 hours from medical help.

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
That's great, but in our RR3 case, even a doctor and a nurse didn't diagnose the stroke, until it turned real bad.
Sometimes even experts don't see the signs.
Not like much could've been done anyways, 12 hours from medical help.
Yup. Might be a good idea to remind passengers to review their medical status with a primary care physician before a long-range trip departs, especially if they know they have some issues.

I hope every PB'er reads this thread though.

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
I really like those tips though, I wish we could've helped the angler quicker. Really was a tough time for me.

sdgirlie

Jun 30, 2005
Clairemont
Name
Betty
Boat
18' Lifetimer
Been really busy lately and just now had the chance to read your post....great info. I lost my husband to a stroke,he was only 40. We were fishing in the bay at the time, I knew something was wrong,called 911, but nothing could be done to help him.Too many people ignore the 'little signs' we sometimes feel thinking they will go away....gotta start listening to what your body might be trying to tell you!

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
Feb 6, 2003
El Cajon
youatplay.com
Name
Frank
Boat
25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
Sorry for your loss Betty.

Wife came home from the Cardiac Cath lab last night tore up. A guy came in and wasnt feeling good, they cath'd him and he went home. Another one came in by ambulance.
He had been ignoring the signs and she didnt even get to work on him, it was too late. He left behind a family, friends and a lot of sad people who wanted to save him.

Time is muscle {heart muscle}.