How to gut Tuna

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Sdchronix, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Sdchronix

Sdchronix Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    Hooked Up Boat Club Parker 2320
    Recently been noticing a lot of people gutting their BFT. I usually just spike, gill, and bleed then throw in the kill bag with ice.
    Is it worth gutting them right away? If so, what is the preferred method of doing this?

2. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Yeah for larger fish getting the hot guts out and getting cold water or ice into the cavity will drop the core temp of the fish much much faster giving you better meat quality. The guts and gills come out as one package as long as you cut it right and cut the connection at the anus.

3. Northeastfshman

Northeastfshman Moderator

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV

Make a small slit in the anal vent, be careful not to go deep, just deep enough to cut through the skin. You can then go through that slit and cut the back end of the entrails which will dislodge the innards from the body without cutting anything that will spill into the cavity.

Next you cut the nape and around gills and remove the head. With you just cutting the innards by the anal vent the head will come off the fish with the innards attached which pulls everything out nice and clean.

Next stuff body cavity with ice.

You can cut the nape, keep the head on and remove the gills and then pull the innards but the other way is much cleaner.

Sdchronix and SouthBayKiller like this.
  4. Sdchronix

Sdchronix Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    Hooked Up Boat Club Parker 2320
    Thanks guys! I'll have to give it a try next time I catch one on the private boat.
    Im used to just ripping out the gill plates by hand on yellowtail lol. Gonna have to make sure my knife makes it in to the bag, It seems to have been missing the last few trips.