Bay / Harbor How to fish leopard sharks?

Patmidd

• Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    Hi Team BD,

I need some help on exactly how to target leopard sharks and seven gill sharks in San Francisco Bay. We are currently setup for halibut and rockfish, but sharks are a new one to me. We fish mostly the Marin coast out of Sausalito.

Any advice? What the right rig, bait, tides, and depth for this?

We have plenty of heavy gear, I just don’t know what I’m doing!

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    Well I lived in Berkeley in the 80's, no boat. We did catch a lot of smaller leo's off the Berkeley Pier but the bigger models and more consistent success was found fishing the channels at marina's at night while the tide was moving. San Leandro Marina was excellent for monster leopards. We used a two hook sturgeon rig and whole squid. The downside is we probably caught rays over sharks 5 to 1 with the squid as bait :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat
    21' Center Console
    Leopard sharks are considered a junk fish but if you want to catch some go to the point off the San Leandro Marina where the Blue Dolphin used to be. Or the Parking lot by the Marina Office. You'll see a big Torpedo display and from there you'll see a bunch of steel posts for Rod holders. Setup hi/lo or sliding sinker rigs with whole squid and cast those things out west as far as you can on a big incoming tide. You'll catch leopards and sting rays all day with that rig over there. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Hi Team BD,

I need some help on exactly how to target leopard sharks and seven gill sharks in San Francisco Bay. We are currently setup for halibut and rockfish, but sharks are a new one to me. We fish mostly the Marin coast out of Sausalito.

Any advice? What the right rig, bait, tides, and depth for this?

We have plenty of heavy gear, I just don’t know what I’m doing!
    5/0-7/0 hook. Wire leader. 50 lb main line. Strip of Mac or a squid. Or a perch.

what ever weight is needed for the conditions.

Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    For the 7 gills, live bait can be much better. The top of the channel edges, anywhere that they have a dent, rock or other change. Live Herring with eggs is Candy!

Upvote 0

tony270

Aug 12, 2011
    SoCal USA
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    Hewhohasthegoldmakestherules
    They hit on blood or pile worms, squid, 3/0 eagle claw hook bait holder hook, 20# fluorocarbon leader, sliding sinker rig, surf leader, fish on the bottom. Point Emery Lane, Emeryville California, that's where I caught most, incidental to striper.

Upvote 0

thatsharkguy

Almost A Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Central California
    Name
    Karl
    Boat
    15ft Western Aluminum
    They hit on blood or pile worms, squid, 3/0 eagle claw hook bait holder hook, 20# fluorocarbon leader, sliding sinker rig, surf leader, fish on the bottom. Point Emery Lane, Emeryville California, that's where I caught most, incidental to striper.
    Disregard at least the 20lb flouro part......

Upvote 0

thatsharkguy

Almost A Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Central California
    Name
    Karl
    Boat
    15ft Western Aluminum
    Leopard sharks have small file like teeth, wire leader is overkill IMO, a sturgeon rig will catch them too, but I like to be more stealthy unless I'm fishing for sturgeon.
    Not sure about that. No need to be very stealthy with them. Wire leader is definitely overkill but 50lb mono minimum. Big Leo can still chew through it. 20lb is asking for it.

Upvote 0