OCPapa

Mar 16, 2021
Irvine, CA
Name
Sam
Boat
None... yet
Hey Everyone
I'm new to boating and planning on taking my boys out to Catalina for the first time. We are planning to leave Huntington Harbor early by 5:30am and and head back before 1pm for better boating conditions.
I've got 2 questions.
1)Where is the Long Beach bait barge now? I just went out to fish the islands over there 2 days ago and the bait barge was not by the wall where I saw them last time. I guess it moves around?

2)I've got a few spots we will try near Long Point for Calico, Bonito, Barracuda and hopefully Yellowtail, but if its slow or the kids are having a tough time with fly-lining live bait I was hoping to move over to a Rock Fish/ White Fish spot and just fish with squid.
I was hoping for a few suggestions on where to go. If there are any websites that list GPS coordinates of known spots, that would be great too.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Hey Everyone
I'm new to boating and planning on taking my boys out to Catalina for the first time. We are planning to leave Huntington Harbor early by 5:30am and and head back before 1pm for better boating conditions.
I've got 2 questions.
1)Where is the Long Beach bait barge now? I just went out to fish the islands over there 2 days ago and the bait barge was not by the wall where I saw them last time. I guess it moves around?

2)I've got a few spots we will try near Long Point for Calico, Bonito, Barracuda and hopefully Yellowtail, but if its slow or the kids are having a tough time with fly-lining live bait I was hoping to move over to a Rock Fish/ White Fish spot and just fish with squid.
I was hoping for a few suggestions on where to go. If there are any websites that list GPS coordinates of known spots, that would be great too.
E742D8DC-54D2-4FF2-8B0C-A2FEFB483831.jpeg

Bring a chum buckets. Lots of spots at cat that will be great for you and your kids. I’m out of town right now so I don’t have time to pull up the spots.
Lots of info out there on the web as well as here on BD. Use the search feature.

hope you have a great time with your kids

Lots info here

Reactions: invictus and OCPapa
Upvote 0

Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
Be aware of the closed area around long point. A couple of friend's got busted there last week for fishing in a closed area.

Reactions: climbingguide
O
OCPapa
I'll have to find those restricted areas before I go. Thanks for the heads up.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Yup, read mlpa maps and rules. They’re easy to break. Frontside cat is really all about conditions to me. Look for the cleanest moving water you can fish. Don’t be afraid to move. When you start getting bit keep fishing it. You have to cultivate your bite at times. Adjust water clarity and temps for species and up to date bite info. Personally I’d be looking for that deep purple and cobalt blue right up to the island for pelagic fun.

Reactions: kbray001
    O
    OCPapa
    Thanks for the reminder to keep moving. I usually think its me and fish a spot too long hoping for a bite.
    Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Bring squid strips and avoid the MLPA'S pretty sure calico, bonito, and other critters will be easy to find. On a fun note if you put down a big bait at night you will most likely hook stuff you cannot stop.

Upvote 0

OCPapa

Mar 16, 2021
    Irvine, CA
    Name
    Sam
    Boat
    None... yet
    View attachment 1303361
    Bring a chum buckets. Lots of spots at cat that will be great for you and your kids. I’m out of town right now so I don’t have time to pull up the spots.
    Lots of info out there on the web as well as here on BD. Use the search feature.

hope you have a great time with your kids

Lots info here

Thanks for the pointers. I will have to subscribe to Capt. Dave's site. Being new I need all the help I can get. With kids its hard to find time to search the web.

Upvote 0

Fishnfunky

Aug 3, 2014
    Name
    Banks
    Boat
    18 Grady
    You’ll have a much better time if you subscribe to Navionics phone app. $24 a year with great detail. Has helped me locate spots much better than anything else! Don’t waste your hard earned $$$ on anyone individuals subscription. Dave’s a good fisherman for sure but using that app is much cheaper!!

Upvote 0

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
    May 26, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Dave Coopman
    Boat
    Judge 27
    If you’re fairly new to ocean fishing. I would give your saltwater guide website a good look.
    Dave has a lot of info on the site. It would be definitely worth it if you are seeking guidance on spots and techniques

Reactions: John Stidman

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    The main thing about Catalina in addition to the above posts is that you should fish as close to the beach as you can safely run your boat. If you can cast and hit sand or rocks you are about right.

Upvote 0

Fathomx

Old Guy
    Jan 27, 2012
    OC
    Name
    Wrapper
    Boat
    It's gone
    If you have not heard already, there were BF on the front side at the rock quarry, we got 2 of them last week along with some Barracuda and a Bonito....super smooth and calm. Most always something to catch at the rock quarry...typically not BF though.

Upvote 0