PacificBlue

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 25, 2011
USA
Name
JM
Boat
Still Looking
We are in So Cal..We call them giants..Sorry if that offends anyone...This is very special..I have been fishing in So Cal for a living for 44 years this is special to me..Once again sorry you don’t get it...[/QUOTE
Dave, I have been in the Harbor since it opened opened in 71 and have a pretty good understanding about our local and offshore fishing history.
I can appreciate promotion, but like to keep it real. Use the various definitions of giant BFT and at least start at 330lbs. It pays tribute o those who have caught them before us.

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
So we are paying homage to the 1 or 2 guys that have ever in the history of the state caught bluefin over 330 lbs by not calling fish over 200 giants?

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
USA
Name
JM
Boat
Still Looking
So we are paying homage to the 1 or 2 guys that have ever in the history of the state caught bluefin over 330 lbs by not calling fish over 200 giants?
First of all why not? It's not so bad to have a sense of true local history.
"In 1983, Jim Salter of Avalon, fishing in a marlin tournament, battled a 363 1/2-pound bluefin off Santa Barbara Island for 4 hours 38 minutes before successfully landing it at night in rough seas. The 6-foot 4-inch, 210-pound fisherman couldn't straighten his left arm for 48 hours."
And the real point is there is the potential for bigger fish to arrive in our waters like they did in 1988:
"Using 2,400-foot nets, Southern California fishermen have landed 187 giant tuna, each 6 to 8 feet long and weighing 300 to 625 pounds. One San Pedro boat, the Pioneer, caught 105 with one setting of its net."
"Commercially, it has created impressive financial opportunities. Since early November, commercial fishermen netted hundreds of the fish off Santa Rosa Island, each weighing from about 300 pounds up to a Pacific-record fish of 850 pounds."
Perspective - now those are what I would call Giant BFT..........

Reactions: Fattony

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
Advertiser
May 26, 2007
Where ever fish need to be caught.
Name
Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
Boat
YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
Ok you got me I will change the title to.
HOW TO CATCH A 200LB TUNA.OR A 300 LB TUNA OR A 400 LB TUNA OR A 500LB TUNA OR A 600LB TUNA...MAYBE EVEN A 800LB TUNA.. PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS ON A GIANT BFT.....OH WAIT A MINUTE TRY THIS OH ANY TUNA OVER 100LBS..NOW THAT SHOULD CLEAR THINGS UP .THANK YOU..

Trayscool

Captain
Sep 26, 2008
Long Beach
www.skipjackmafia.com
Name
Travis
Boat
NO BOATS
"In 1983, Jim Salter of Avalon, fishing in a marlin tournament, battled a 363 1/2-pound bluefin off Santa Barbara Island for 4 hours 38 minutes before successfully landing it at night in rough seas. The 6-foot 4-inch, 210-pound fisherman couldn't straighten his left arm for 48 hours."

Should have watched Daves video and left the rod in the rod holder. He would have landed it in 15 minutes

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Great info, Dave. I never thought about gaffing the pectorals. Back in the early 60's when I was a pinhead and just learning to gaff I was taught to come over the top of the fish at the level of the gill plate so that the fish's head would come up towards the boat and you just lifted him straight up into the boat. Thousands of fish later that still works fine, but I can see how on a really big fish requiring multiple gaffs if you could immobilize the fish, as it looks like in your video, it would be a real advantage.

Of course, on a REALLY big tuna, the captain should put a knife in his teeth and go full pirate and dive in and stab that bad boy!

Reactions: peshooter

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
Should have watched Daves video and left the rod in the rod holder. He would have landed it in 15 minutes

I was just talking to someone the other day about my first BFT, 12 years old at Tanner on the Sea Spray. God forbid that rod even gets close to the rail. You would never hear the end of it. Now My rod usually is on the rail before I even come tight...

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I was just talking to someone the other day about my first BFT, 12 years old at Tanner on the Sea Spray. God forbid that rod even gets close to the rail. You would never hear the end of it. Now My rod usually is on the rail before I even come tight...
Haha same here, first tuna for me 40lb bluefin, 338 and a 690j, got my butt kicked and never even considered the rail for a second. Just was lifting like a mad man. The death circle was brutal, the rod bending into the butt. Any hard lifting either had my Ande stretching or my rod bending. Felt like hours with it 10, below the boat lol. At 40lbs then in that time period, it was a GIANT.

PE Pete

Tight lines PE Pete
Apr 20, 2018
New Zealand
Name
Pe Pete
Boat
Quickbite
I find this a bit amusing...
When the skipper posted that video I suspect he was aiming to giveaway for free a combination of 40+ years of experience, tips to turn your hookup into a successful catch and maybe just maybe giving the viewers another perspective on how to be successful at this particular fishery.
At no point does he say you have to do this.
I personally like to battle toe to toe with my catch BUT if I am ever fortunate enough to hook into a cow BFT I will absolutely revert to the techniques described by Capt Dave.
Thanks for taking the time to share this information Dave.
Tight lines
PE Pete

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Gotta admit. That was pretty good.

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
Advertiser
May 26, 2007
Where ever fish need to be caught.
Name
Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
Boat
YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
I try!!! You should check out the website there are about 40 more Just like that about fishing is So Cal...You never know you guys might like it.....

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy
For $4.99 a month, month to month subscription, what do you have to lose? You will find information that is helpful to the newb, an up.

lougio

Capt Lou
Jul 19, 2014
La Mesa, CA
Name
Lou
Boat
'03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
Best $4.99 you will ever spend on fishing.
Right! I can't believe people bag on Dave. I'm a subscriber and he should charge more. Gotta love the guys' passion and willingness to impart his knowledge. I grew up on the East Coast so fishing West Coast is a totally different game. Guys like Dave help tremendously with the learning curve.

Jr.

Winning!
Feb 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
Hatteras
Dave might be a good idea to make sure the rod holder can handle 30+lbs of drag for 20-30 min. I can just see some dudes in there 1983 Bayliner Trophy hooking up and ripping the entire holder out. Or add backing plates etc.

sd_ahab

Mar 7, 2010
San Diego CA
Name
Michael
Boat
Fully Spent
Great video, thanks for the sharing the know how.