Always wishin' I was fishin'
Jul 14, 2004
Alta Loma/Huntington
Name
Billy
Boat
WWW - 25’ Proline
image.jpg

Meh... We pulled 2 YF off of a paddy with divers in Saturday.We tossed em' one of them and all had some laughs. There are too many fish around to fight over a paddy. So, yes you can catch with divers in the water.

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
I dive as well as fish. Just mostly fish now. I have like to just look not shoot. I have watched my buddies get bit by dodos while I watched underwater!!!

Reactions: slydawg
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Although I think its pretty rude to dive on a paddy being fished hook and line....I have caught fish before, during and after divers have jumped in.

Only a few time....but we did catch fish. One time the diver told us how deep the fish were, and we dropped down to about 50 feet, and got bit. LOL

Either way, don't let them ruin your day.

Upvote 0

Huntersmoon

Almost A Member
Jan 8, 2006
here
Name
nombre
Boat
no
Plenty of fish in the sea, and not worth getting your panties bunched up over. I fish and dive, I have speared fish on paddies, and watched fish eat hooked baits while doing it. Never forget the day 8 miles off del mar, paddy to myself, spearing dorado. Cattleboat shows up and parks not 25' from me. Entire boat goes bendo...so much for a diver shutting down a bite.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2009
Pacific
www.youtube.com
Name
Ben
Boat
22ft Boston Whaler Outrage
Otto, I have video of buddies catching fish while I'm in the water and they also have them of me.

Last year, I caught a bluefin, yft and yellowtail all while my buddy plugged YT on the paddy and then went after the tuna with his speargun (unsuccessfully)

Something I have noticed though. YOU would not if you sat on the boat all the time. It pays to take good shots and not injure fish. The injured fish steer the school away after (sometimes) Same goes for pulling hooks or breaking lines on fish. I've seen this happen also with fish that have lines hanging out of their mouths leading the school away from boats and divers.

Don't be so ignorant to call all divers the same as seals and say you're going to shoot them. You'll find that a lot of people on here dive and fish. Those same guys that pissed you off would've pissed you off just the same if they parked on the paddy and dropped lines in and they don't have to dive to do that.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2015
Name
Sean
Boat
malibu
Either way a diver 110% doesn't help the fishing. My two buddies dive a lot when I'm on the boat. I keep fishing. Yes, occasionally I'll catch fish when they dive. Without doubt, I catch less. What they did was rude, dangerous for them and can escalate a nice day on the water. Idiots! A lot of guys will cast irons with treble hooks at them or run over the patty while they're in the water. I wouldn't want to be the guy in the water when that happens.

Upvote 0

mezr 2ice

Almost A Member
Oct 12, 2004
Fallbrook, CA
Name
Adam
Boat
26 Twin Vee Express
I fish and dive and have done so my whole life. I have been in the water many times and have seen people from my boat as well as others catch fish whole I'm hunting, but I've also been in the water and shot one yellowtail and no one ever gets a hook up after that one fish despite the dozens swimming around.
All in all of its "my" paddy and I'm there first I usually fish it then dive it afterwards depending on the outcome of the fishing part. Now if I roll up on a paddy that has other boats fishing I almost never drop a diver in the water unless all boats are gone or the other boat says it's cool because they are leaving or can't get bit or whatever.
Point is finding your own paddy is always better, especially while diving.
Now granted I don't know you and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you are a pretty cool guy and a person to make the right decision when the time comes, saying you want to harm someone else strictly because they are diver makes zero sense to me. Don't let these divers that have no common sense or experience ruin it for every diver you come across.
I have called in boats that I've seen cruising by many times before I jump a paddy to dive and told them to fish it for a bit first so we can all get fish. Just saying something to think about that all divers are not the same nor are all fisherman. I hope you can keep an open mind to that.

Well said! Totally agree.

Upvote 0

Smelt_one

Almost A Member
Jul 14, 2006
San Deigo (Tierrasanta)
groups.msn.com
Name
Phil M
Boat
No more big boat...but...14 ft'er
I fish and dive and have done so my whole life. I have been in the water many times and have seen people from my boat as well as others catch fish whole I'm hunting, but I've also been in the water and shot one yellowtail and no one ever gets a hook up after that one fish despite the dozens swimming around.
All in all of its "my" paddy and I'm there first I usually fish it then dive it afterwards depending on the outcome of the fishing part. Now if I roll up on a paddy that has other boats fishing I almost never drop a diver in the water unless all boats are gone or the other boat says it's cool because they are leaving or can't get bit or whatever.
Point is finding your own paddy is always better, especially while diving.
Now granted I don't know you and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you are a pretty cool guy and a person to make the right decision when the time comes, saying you want to harm someone else strictly because they are diver makes zero sense to me. Don't let these divers that have no common sense or experience ruin it for every diver you come across.
I have called in boats that I've seen cruising by many times before I jump a paddy to dive and told them to fish it for a bit first so we can all get fish. Just saying something to think about that all divers are not the same nor are all fisherman. I hope you can keep an open mind to that.

So you took this guy seriously about using wrist rockets? Why don't you call out the nut that had diver(s) in the water with no flag?

Upvote 0

Paisan

Mar 6, 2005
Valley Center
Name
Rob
Boat
44' Pacifica
Realize that when you enter the water you screw up the bite for everyone. So, don't do it.

The wrist rocket would just be for sea lions. I don't even own a wrist rocket.

I'd like to treat the diver like I would the sea lion as they both look and act the same.

And it would be a crime to deal with a sea lion or diver in that manner. While I understand the frustration either presents, don't let that frustration put your freedom in jeopardy. Lots of fish in the sea. Be safe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2014
Name
Mark
Boat
Skipjack 22
[QUOTE="Otto, post: 3868763, member: 103512"

I want to use my wrist rocket at these divers.

I hate divers ![/QUOTE]

"Before you go all-out hating on others, you should learn how to properly hate yourself".....
- Somebody famous

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Just ask the divers if their after the large Mako or the Hammerhead thats circling the paddy

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Just ask the divers if their after the large Mako or the Hammerhead thats circling the paddy
well with everybody is saying about the bad Bait issue's , I think you should start throwing Chunks for chum
on the Patty that should help in both ways.

Upvote 0

bajaspearo

May 25, 2006
Corona
Name
Tanner Cortes
Boat
18' Stringari
A lot of divers started out fishing hard core first. I am one of them and enjoy doing both even today.
Additionally, I know a lot of SD and local sport boat skippers, crew who actively freedive and spear.
It's not us versus them. It's about people respecting people, or working around the issue.
There are definitely ignorant folks on both sides but some of it is just down to education and awareness.

So no wrist rockets please Otto:)

Reactions: Nick Longoria
Upvote 0

FJHIII

67.3 WSB
Mar 6, 2007
Name
John
Boat
Sea Doo 210 SP
HOW TO DEAL WITH DIVERS- KEEP IT SIMPLE:
  1. COMMUNICATION
  2. RESPECT
  3. SAFETY

Communication- Don't be afraid to make contact with the boat with diver(s). I personally don't mind when a boat fishes the paddy when I am diving, I will even point you in the direction of the fish and let you know what I see! I have video of fishermen catching YT, Dorado, Tuna off of a paddy while I was spearing Dorado.
Respect- Normal paddy etiquette is about respect and first come - first serve basis. If a diver is on the second boat to arrive at a paddy and the first boat leaves, the diver has priority over the paddy. If I don't see anything worth taking home, I get back on the boat and find another paddy for 120 miles each day. My boat is too low to find my own paddies in wind chop and swell, so sometimes the only other way to find paddy is to go to boats that are stopped and wait until they leave. I am not in a hurry and will wait for a very long time for the opportunity to see what is under the paddy.
Safety- If a diver is in the water, maintain a safe distance from the paddy. FYI- Some divers are using long 100' ropes that float, the rope is connected to the spear. If a diver needs help, please don't hesitate to lend a hand. Some guys have been doing this longer than others. Help the newer divers learn the laws of the land so that things don't escalate to you using a wrist rocket on me or my friends. That action WILL end with you going to jail.

IF ANY BOAT (REGARDLESS OF DIVE OR H&L) DOES SOMETHING TO MAKE YOU THIS UPSET, TAKE A PICTURE OR RECORD A VIDEO. THEN PUT IT UP ON BD FOR THE COMMUNITY TO ROAST. IT WOULD BE NICE TO KNOW WHAT BOATS TO WATCH OUT FOR. THE BENEFIT IS THAT YOU MIGHT HELP SOMEONE LEARN THE RIGHT WAY TO PADDY HOP.

NOTE TO THE OP "OTTO"- Thank you for letting me dive in your ocean and catch some of your fish for my wife and four children. :imdumb:

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
HOW TO DEAL WITH FISHERMAN- KEEP IT SIMPLE:
  1. COMMUNICATION
  2. RESPECT
  3. SAFETY
Communication
-If a boat with rod and reel fisherman is on a kelp, communicate with them, ask them to call the you when they are done fishing

Respect
-If a boat with rod and reel guys are on a kelp, respect the fact they were there first

Safety
If rod and reel guys are on a kelp, don't swim in between lines to get to a kelp, wait for them to leave

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
This part has me confused.

yep, kind of an odd way to describe position, but the north nine is about 23 miles from encinitas.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2007
Vista, CA
www.linkedin.com
Name
Christopher Davis
Boat
Prowler 13
The bite was over and I fished it for about 30 minutes without a bite. The new boat had 2 lines out and didn't appear to be a problem. Well, I had 5 yellowfins and one dorado and was going home.

You had fish, the bite was over, you were leaving...No offense, but F off Retard, bite shuts down for that long, you think people fishing and or diving will make a difference that the bite shut down before they got into the water, you were leaving, why do you give a rats ass? Did you feel butt hurt, offended, somebody tore down your rainbow flag??? I really don't see your point. You were leaving yet you were offended.

At the end of the day, do your friends really care how you caught your fish, or the fact that you have fish??? I'm confused, I thought that is the point of fishing ( to bring home fish), maybe these dudes don't know what they were doing, but how did that affect the fact the bite had been shut down for awhile and you were leaving. Would you have decided NOT to leave, if you realized they didn't get in the water?? Would you have remembered not to plug the banana if they hadn't gotten in the water...the answer was IT DIDN"T MATTER, you were leaving.. Now cry to momma and clean your fish, enjoy.

Reactions: The Freediver
Upvote 0

FJHIII

67.3 WSB
Mar 6, 2007
Name
John
Boat
Sea Doo 210 SP
HOW TO DEAL WITH FISHERMAN- KEEP IT SIMPLE:
  1. COMMUNICATION
  2. RESPECT
  3. SAFETY
Communication
-If a boat with rod and reel fisherman is on a kelp, communicate with them, ask them to call the you when they are done fishing

Respect
-If a boat with rod and reel guys are on a kelp, respect the fact they were there first

Safety
If rod and reel guys are on a kelp, don't swim in between lines to get to a kelp, wait for them to leave

AMEN :cheers:

Reactions: Mick
Upvote 0