How to deal with divers

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Otto, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Fish Tank

Fish Tank Ranchero

Name:
    Fred Reichert
    Boat:
    27' scagit orca - "La Ballena Loca"
    I usually don't dive a paddy with other boats on it but if the bite shuts down you can force feed them that iron! I have an underwater video some where of a bite going off when I was spear fishing & like the comment above I would let guys know where the school was. It's all about common sense.

MJB likes this.
  2. gonzo25

gonzo25 GOT A BIG ONE

Name:
    george
    Boat:
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    Hey Otto... where's the numbers? I think you were just a little bit past the north nine :rofl: good job on the fish and thanks for the report :beerbang:

plj46 and Raimond like this.
  3. c-goat

c-goat HELL BENT FOR FEATHER

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Last year I was diving a paddy and watched my buddy hook and fight a yellowtail.It wanted soo bad to get wrapped up in the paddy but it didnt want to come near me.one trick to diving a paddy is to totally ignore the fish,absolutely no eye contact and turn away from the fish and act as if theyre not even there.Out of curiosity they will come around and present themselves within easy striking distance.
    The slightest motion towards those fish and its game over for everyone.

MJB likes this.
  4. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    And with Makos it is exactly the opposite what I've learned. straight up eye contact and gun out. And Hammers? May the force be with you. They are as predictable as tigers.

5. Rabid Fish

Rabid Fish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    26'
    Hahaha yeaahhhh Ooookay, I'll just quit diving then. Cool.

Back to reality -- I'd never dive on a patty someone else was already fishing. Never ever. That's part of the ethics I think both groups owe each other. The fishermen also need to know when they see a boat on a patty with a dive flag up -- whether the diver was there first or not -- there's a life in the water and due care and caution are absolutely mandatory. Anything short of that makes you an even bigger kook than any diver who's ever screwed up a patty. You have to respect the fact that a human being is in the water and that demands careful boating, no matter how frustrated you are.

BTW entering the water doesn't do jack doodly. If I just got in and swam around the fish wouldn't go anywhere and would bite fine. It's only when the fish are shot that things turn off, and that's still only the YT and mahi, not the tuna.

6. Paul Ward

Paul Ward I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    wooddog
    Boat:
    Boaty
    Your right , I caught a 15 # yt at the same moment my buddie speared a 15# yt on a kelp last week.

7. cooper669

cooper669 Member

Name:
    Damon
    Boat:
    yours
    Jumping in on a paddy without the other boats aware of you being down there could be alot worse than spooking the fish. I just keep wondering how it would feel with a big fat treble hook stuck in you. You ever watch Hardcor set a hook?

errock_22, MattyV and Raimond like this.
  8. slydawg

slydawg Always wishin' I was fishin'

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    image.jpg
    Meh... We pulled 2 YF off of a paddy with divers in Saturday.We tossed em' one of them and all had some laughs. There are too many fish around to fight over a paddy. So, yes you can catch with divers in the water.

DavePloessel and Pgnracr like this.
  9. Forplay

Forplay Mikey likes it

Name:
    MC
    Boat:
    c/s For-Play
    I don't dive, but If a bite went cold, I encourage someone jumping in to see what is happening below. I would not mind getting a report of what lies below from the divers, especially if its worthy intel!

JTH, DavePloessel and Pgnracr like this.
  10. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    I dive as well as fish. Just mostly fish now. I have like to just look not shoot. I have watched my buddies get bit by dodos while I watched underwater!!!

slydawg likes this.
  11. minnowb

minnowb Carpe Diem

Name:
    Greg Minobe
    Boat:
    none
    Otto, you're a kook dude stay home.

JTH, DavePloessel, Jr. and 4 others like this.
  12. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras
    Although I think its pretty rude to dive on a paddy being fished hook and line....I have caught fish before, during and after divers have jumped in.

Only a few time....but we did catch fish. One time the diver told us how deep the fish were, and we dropped down to about 50 feet, and got bit. LOL

Either way, don't let them ruin your day.

DavePloessel and The Freediver like this.
  13. Huntersmoon

Huntersmoon Member

Name:
    nombre
    Boat:
    no
    Plenty of fish in the sea, and not worth getting your panties bunched up over. I fish and dive, I have speared fish on paddies, and watched fish eat hooked baits while doing it. Never forget the day 8 miles off del mar, paddy to myself, spearing dorado. Cattleboat shows up and parks not 25' from me. Entire boat goes bendo...so much for a diver shutting down a bite.

JTH, DavePloessel and The Freediver like this.
  14. The Freediver

The Freediver ...

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    22ft Boston Whaler Outrage
    Otto, I have video of buddies catching fish while I'm in the water and they also have them of me.

Last year, I caught a bluefin, yft and yellowtail all while my buddy plugged YT on the paddy and then went after the tuna with his speargun (unsuccessfully)

Something I have noticed though. YOU would not if you sat on the boat all the time. It pays to take good shots and not injure fish. The injured fish steer the school away after (sometimes) Same goes for pulling hooks or breaking lines on fish. I've seen this happen also with fish that have lines hanging out of their mouths leading the school away from boats and divers.

Don't be so ignorant to call all divers the same as seals and say you're going to shoot them. You'll find that a lot of people on here dive and fish. Those same guys that pissed you off would've pissed you off just the same if they parked on the paddy and dropped lines in and they don't have to dive to do that.

scubapro5, DavePloessel and MJB like this.
  15. B.O.H.I.C.A

B.O.H.I.C.A Newbie

Name:
    Sam
    Boat:
    Goonda
    hahaha, ya greg!

minnowb likes this.
  16. Sean Gizatullin

Sean Gizatullin Newbie

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    malibu
    Either way a diver 110% doesn't help the fishing. My two buddies dive a lot when I'm on the boat. I keep fishing. Yes, occasionally I'll catch fish when they dive. Without doubt, I catch less. What they did was rude, dangerous for them and can escalate a nice day on the water. Idiots! A lot of guys will cast irons with treble hooks at them or run over the patty while they're in the water. I wouldn't want to be the guy in the water when that happens.

17. bloodfart

bloodfart gentleman asshole

san di egg oh (translation: a whale's vagina)
    Name:
    BF
    Boat:
    yours
    divers a couple weeks ago had a sun-bleached dive flag...so I'm wondering why there is a french guy on this paddy (white flag). We caught some legit BFT on a long soak off the paddy once we saw heads popping up and realized what was going on.

18. mezr 2ice

mezr 2ice Member

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    26 Twin Vee Express

Well said! Totally agree.

19. Miss Fitz

Miss Fitz Call me Captain

Name:
    Vince
    Boat:
    26' TwinVee Pilot House

Guess who taught the Fat Man that?? :D

I like my paddies To Go please!!!

Aggro likes this.
  20. Smelt_one

Smelt_one Member

Name:
    Phil M
    Boat:
    No more big boat...but...14 ft'er
    So you took this guy seriously about using wrist rockets? Why don't you call out the nut that had diver(s) in the water with no flag?