Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
Left in the darkness for the north 9 today. I guess it was about 20 miles off Encinitas. Found a paddy and fished with two other boats. It was non-stop 30 pound yellowfin. After pulling 4 30 plus pound yfts off this paddy, I realized another boat was fishing the paddy with us and one boat had left. The bite was over and I fished it for about 30 minutes without a bite. The new boat had 2 lines out and didn't appear to be a problem. Well, I had 5 yellowfins and one dorado and was going home. Just as I was leaving, I realized this new boat had a diver in the water and the 2 other people onboard were actively fishing. What the fuck. How stupid could this boat be ? They had no clue. Diver had a full wetsuit on. Did they really think they could catch something with the diver in the water ?

I want to use my wrist rocket at these divers. I want to ... Once the diver enters the water it's over.

This diver was swimming among the boats with no flag.

I hate divers !

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Otto, the fish will still bite with a diver in the water.
I used to dive a lot. Not much anymore, if at all, but still want to start it up some day money permitting. One thing I do know is a diver will shut down a bite pretty quickly if they are actively trying to shoot fish. My .02 cents.

Reactions: Nardo and Raimond
Upvote 0

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Boat
19 SeaPro
Boat looked like a 17 foot whaler. Wasn't a whaler. Just looked like one.

Upvote 0

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
Valley Center, CA
Name
John
Boat
1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
Yep. I fished a patty off of Oceanside several years ago with 7 or so other boats. One guy was spearfishing it and would let us know when the school of Dorado were swimming through. We all caught fish on that paddy and the diver actually helped. To be honest, if I were sitting on a paddy and divers showed up and just jumped in then I doubt I would be too happy about it. But, most would likely ask before coming in. However, I do not fish a paddy with a diver already in the water and his is the only boat on it. And yep, he should have had a dive flag out. I depend on those when fishing the kelp to make sure I give them a safe distance. Any boater coming into a paddy would want to know there is a diver in the water before they attempted to set up.

John

Upvote 0

T-Tang

Far from newbie, but lifetime learner
Jul 27, 2006
Dana Point
Name
Tyson
Boat
21' Bayliner Trophy
Not true. It depends on how experienced the diver is. Fish will still bite even when chased by hammerheads, so how is a diver any different? I've speared fish in the water where people still caught fish on rod and reel. Common courtesy is appreciated prior to just jumping in without asking though

Upvote 0

Nick Longoria

Almost A Member
Aug 18, 2012
Pomona Ca USA
Name
Nick Longoria
Boat
Wellcraft Sportsman 248
I fish and dive and have done so my whole life. I have been in the water many times and have seen people from my boat as well as others catch fish whole I'm hunting, but I've also been in the water and shot one yellowtail and no one ever gets a hook up after that one fish despite the dozens swimming around.
All in all of its "my" paddy and I'm there first I usually fish it then dive it afterwards depending on the outcome of the fishing part. Now if I roll up on a paddy that has other boats fishing I almost never drop a diver in the water unless all boats are gone or the other boat says it's cool because they are leaving or can't get bit or whatever.
Point is finding your own paddy is always better, especially while diving.
Now granted I don't know you and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you are a pretty cool guy and a person to make the right decision when the time comes, saying you want to harm someone else strictly because they are diver makes zero sense to me. Don't let these divers that have no common sense or experience ruin it for every diver you come across.
I have called in boats that I've seen cruising by many times before I jump a paddy to dive and told them to fish it for a bit first so we can all get fish. Just saying something to think about that all divers are not the same nor are all fisherman. I hope you can keep an open mind to that.

Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
Upvote 0

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
You don't deal with them. You're the one getting so mad you want to hurt other people -- YOU are the one who you need to deal with.

Some divers are assholes, so are some fishermen.

As to the diver shutting down the bite debate, in my experience usually once the diver shoots a fish things go pretty quiet for the YT and mahi, but a fishing boat can still chum up a tuna bite as they drift off the patty just as easily. I mostly care about tuna anyway.

PS I fish and I dive, and I've already written posts about the ethics both should follow with respect to each other and don't really care to write it all again. Be safe and don't do anything crazy. I know if some guy was shooting a wrist rocket at me in the water or doing any other outrageous stunt he'd have law enforcement waiting for him at the dock. Last year a guy threw a hammer at a diver, and it didn't end well for anyone. Don't be a psycho.

Oh yeah and the guy who suggested fouling up the kelp patty -- so clueless. I've dove kelps loaded with yt where a few fish had fishhooks in their lips and there was fishing line coming off the kelp itself. If I had to estimate, I'd say damn near 100% of the kelps you fish have been fished by other boats before you. If everyone just nuked kelps like it was no big deal, we'd all catch a lot less fish. Don't have a little baby temper tantrum and make it harder for others out there. That's just about as lame as it gets.

Upvote 0

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Boat
19 SeaPro
You don't deal with them. You're the one getting so mad you want to hurt other people -- YOU are the one who you need to deal with.

Some divers are assholes, so are some fishermen.

As to the diver shutting down the bite debate, in my experience usually once the diver shoots a fish things go pretty quiet for the YT and mahi, but a fishing boat can still chum up a tuna bite as they drift off the patty just as easily. I mostly care about tuna anyway.

PS I fish and I dive, and I've already written posts about the ethics both should follow with respect to each other and don't really care to write it all again. Be safe and don't do anything crazy. I know if some guy was shooting a wrist rocket at me in the water or doing any other outrageous stunt he'd have law enforcement waiting for him at the dock. Last year a guy threw a hammer at a diver, and it didn't end well for anyone. Don't be a psycho.

Oh yeah and the guy who suggested fouling up the kelp patty -- so clueless. I've dove kelps loaded with yt where a few fish had fishhooks in their lips and there was fishing line coming off the kelp itself. If I had to estimate, I'd say damn near 100% of the kelps you fish have been fished by other boats before you. If everyone just nuked kelps like it was no big deal, we'd all catch a lot less fish. Don't have a little baby temper tantrum and make it harder for others out there. That's just about as lame as it gets.

Realize that when you enter the water you screw up the bite for everyone. So, don't do it.

The wrist rocket would just be for sea lions. I don't even own a wrist rocket.

I'd like to treat the diver like I would the sea lion as they both look and act the same.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
I don't have the energy to read all this. But it depends sometimes. If the diver knows how to become and blend in with nature and appear part of the ecosystem he will not fuck up the bite. Gaffing fish does not either. Dumping fish by breaking off will peel part or maybe all the fish off the kelp/school when their buddy's follow the spooked fish that just got free. That's one reason why dumping big fish on light gear sucks for everyone else. The school could follow the fish that's bolting. Troll fish too get them in quick and maybe the school will follow

Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
Valid points if we were 6 years back, nowadays the law means little to anyone.
No harm no foul if a diver refuses to let people know he's in the water...
I saw a guy trolling around a patty last year with the dive flag up... He refused to pull it. Thinking he would use it to keep others off HIS patty.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
seal bombs work great...... If you get swiped on by a diver, just blow up the paddy.
Stan, fucking Stan would roll up and gaff it then pull it into the boat :rofl:Where's your paddy now bitches? :rofl:

Upvote 0

Fish Tank

Ranchero
Jul 18, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Fred Reichert
Boat
27' scagit orca - "La Ballena Loca"
I usually don't dive a paddy with other boats on it but if the bite shuts down you can force feed them that iron! I have an underwater video some where of a bite going off when I was spear fishing & like the comment above I would let guys know where the school was. It's all about common sense.

Reactions: MJB
Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Hey Otto... where's the numbers? I think you were just a little bit past the north nine :rofl: good job on the fish and thanks for the report :beerbang:

Reactions: plj46 and Raimond
Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Last year I was diving a paddy and watched my buddy hook and fight a yellowtail.It wanted soo bad to get wrapped up in the paddy but it didnt want to come near me.one trick to diving a paddy is to totally ignore the fish,absolutely no eye contact and turn away from the fish and act as if theyre not even there.Out of curiosity they will come around and present themselves within easy striking distance.
The slightest motion towards those fish and its game over for everyone.

Reactions: MJB
Upvote 0

Aggro

Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Last year I was diving a paddy and watched my buddy hook and fight a yellowtail.It wanted soo bad to get wrapped up in the paddy but it didnt want to come near me.one trick to diving a paddy is to totally ignore the fish,absolutely no eye contact and turn away from the fish and act as if theyre not even there.Out of curiosity they will come around and present themselves within easy striking distance.
The slightest motion towards those fish and its game over for everyone.
And with Makos it is exactly the opposite what I've learned. straight up eye contact and gun out. And Hammers? May the force be with you. They are as predictable as tigers.

Upvote 0

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
Realize that when you enter the water you screw up the bite for everyone. So, don't do it.

The wrist rocket would just be for sea lions. I don't even own a wrist rocket.

I'd like to treat the diver like I would the sea lion as they both look and act the same.
Hahaha yeaahhhh Ooookay, I'll just quit diving then. Cool.

Back to reality -- I'd never dive on a patty someone else was already fishing. Never ever. That's part of the ethics I think both groups owe each other. The fishermen also need to know when they see a boat on a patty with a dive flag up -- whether the diver was there first or not -- there's a life in the water and due care and caution are absolutely mandatory. Anything short of that makes you an even bigger kook than any diver who's ever screwed up a patty. You have to respect the fact that a human being is in the water and that demands careful boating, no matter how frustrated you are.

BTW entering the water doesn't do jack doodly. If I just got in and swam around the fish wouldn't go anywhere and would bite fine. It's only when the fish are shot that things turn off, and that's still only the YT and mahi, not the tuna.

Upvote 0