How to de hook large sharks from piers

Safa_G

• Jan 19, 2021
    socal
    Name
    Safa
    Boat
    N/A
    I fish piers with large amounts of juvenile great whites in the area, so they are a super common bycatch when targeting other species such as thresher soupfin, and leopard sharks. if I accidentally hook on to a baby great white how would I go about releasing it from the pier without leaving tackle in the fish and losing rigs?

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    Use hooks that rust out quickly and not high end designer hooks. Still be a shity deal, I guess you could try to beach it

Reactions: dsl
    Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I fish piers with large amounts of juvenile great whites in the area, so they are a super common bycatch when targeting other species such as thresher soupfin, and leopard sharks. if I accidentally hook on to a baby great white how would I go about releasing it from the pier without leaving tackle in the fish and losing rigs?
    For Fun?

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Beach it...but make sure you have a license. Once you step on the beach, a valid fishing license required. and be ready to be harassed by tree huggers. hahha

And don't drag it into a swimmer or surfer. LOL

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    Walk it down. I have released a number of LARGE hammerheads and ST's caught off a pier that were walked down to the surf. As long as you keep part of it below the water line and do what you need to fast nothing bad will happen. Don't try working the hook out. Cut the shank. In some places people might annoy you but I haven't had too many bad experiences. Most people are really interested and just want to take pictures.

Reactions: Noms
    Upvote 0

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    Walk it down. I have released a number of LARGE hammerheads and ST's caught off a pier that were walked down to the surf. As long as you keep part of it below the water line and do what you need to fast nothing bad will happen. Don't try working the hook out. Cut the shank. In some places people might annoy you but I haven't had too many bad experiences. Most people are really interested and just want to take pictures.
    That sounds about the best option. I've been using cheap circle hooks from amazon for larger fish off the pier and beach. Need to add a harbor fright bolt cutters to my kit.

Reactions: Texas Tuna
    Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    What kind of leader you running? swivel gaff? I mean who cares if it pops off? drag it to the beach and cut the leader close? careful bouncing calicos is touchy around here and what some are advising could be seen as a citable offense.

Upvote 0