johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
While we're on the subject, any idea how many poppers and stickbaits to take for 5 days of fishing? We will be strictly using plugs and jigs.
Depends on luck and the fishing. One plano box like above is fine. I fished the Heru Skipjack in that box almost every fishing day on a 7 day and it has a dozen small tuna on it.

So you might need only one :).

tap

"The Roving Angler"
BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
Whatever you do packing wise make sure you don't travel to foreign countries with lures in their original packages. Last May Panama officials looked at my new lures stowed in gallon-sized heavy duty custom plastic with velcro seals and asked if they were new and the value. They wanted me to pay an import tax. I said they were lures I always fish with in Panama and so they didn't charge me. If they were still in their packages with price stickers It may have been costly.

Reverendpdp

Jun 10, 2016
People's Republic of South Florida
Name
D Penton
Boat
Not Yet
Whatever you do packing wise make sure you don't travel to foreign countries with lures in their original packages. Last May Panama officials looked at my new lures stowed in gallon-sized heavy duty custom plastic with velcro seals and asked if they were new and the value. They wanted me to pay an import tax. I said they were lures I always fish with in Panama and so they didn't charge me. If they were still in their packages with price stickers It may have been costly.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

yotd1976

Jul 28, 2016
Hawaii
Name
Maximino Renigado
Boat
Da yellow boat
Lures, if u traveling by plane
Smallest hard Tupperware container that fits all your lures without any hooks. Leave the split rings on the lure.
Hooks in a sperate container

On the boat
Can be as cheap as a bucket or as tricked out with the hpa popper roll.
A lower cost option to a lure roll is using one made for large 12-14in skirted marlin lures. I have a hpa roll, use that to store my lures for any trip. Out fishing i take the smaller trolling lure roll.
The roll shown is locally made in hawaii by DAKINE.this is their large model, width is 13in
20170205_083948.jpg

bigbritt

Oct 11, 2006
mn
Name
chris
Boat
none
My last trip to Panama...back in March....I rubberbanded the hooks on my lures/poppers and placed them in a non-divided big plano box. No tangled messes, hooks still on. I had a smaller waterproof plano for my splits, hooks, etc. and finally a roll up jig bag for my jigs. Worked great. Didn't want to remove the hooks on all of my lures as some have specific hook sizes and my memory sucks :)

Mr. Sunshine

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 6, 2008
OC, CA
Name
Barry
Boat
none
I got a few of these from Amazon - 3 for $20. Just barely fits the 200mm Halco roosters w/ the hooks on (banded).
Amazon productAmazon product
Link isn't posting.
20" X 9" Roll-Up Large Side Entry Lure Bag - Black - 3 pcs.

Last edited:

david shelton

Oct 20, 2016
Nicaragua
Name
david shelton
Boat
Panga
My top water lures aren't anything fancy but I keep some of them in plastic tubes/boxes in a larger box on the boat. Hooks on as I like them to be ready to fish always but with rubber bands. Rubber bands work nicely enough IMHO.