How To Break Down a Tuna with Chef Davin Waite

MadMedia

Sep 21, 2010
San Diego
Learn how to break down a whole Bluefin Tuna from Chef Davin Waite and how to maximize your yield and reduce food waste. Most people throw away many of the best-tasting parts of the fish from the eyes, to the cheeks, and even the bones for making soup. Most of the tuna can be utilized. Chef Davin Waite's critically acclaimed restaurant The Wrench and The Rodent Sebastro Pub specializes in creative sushi fusion combining the best of the best with what’s fresh and available using different local species of fish. Directed by The Martelli Brothers Produced by Mad Media

watersdeep

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
Nice to see whitey doing it right, wake up vikings. Said the viking. Remember we did not even think about eating sushi till the 1980s and look at us now, can't get enough of it.

PS Eye balls are bomb, i know from experience.

Reactions: MadMedia and Cubeye

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
Honest is good

When I see those overly pimped out rolls at sushi restaurants, I just shake my head.

Reactions: onehottip

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
question I have cleaned hundreds of fish I never continually wipe the fish off with a towel Why are they doing that. Is it just tuna?

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
How to clean tuna

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Ask the fish processors if they will cut it the way in the video! :eek:. Now I know why a lot people on the sport boats will ask the crew for a few of heads, carcasses and belly's on the BFT when there cutting fish on the way in. Theirs a lot of waste when cut on some of the boats.

Reactions: MadMedia and Cubeye

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Nice to see whitey doing it right, wake up vikings. Said the viking. Remember we did not even think about eating sushi till the 1980s and look at us now, can't get enough of it.

PS Eye balls are bomb, i know from experience.
So.....how do you cook the eyeballs? Or do you cook them at all?

MadMedia

Sep 21, 2010
San Diego
question I have cleaned hundreds of fish I never continually wipe the fish off with a towel Why are they doing that. Is it just tuna?
all fish. Keeping it dry on the outside helps it last longer and taste better. Next time you go to a sushi restaurant notice that they store a lot of the fish wrapped in paper towels.

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
If I have 2.. 100 pound blue fin I not too worried about scraps..this is resturants maximizing profit

Reactions: MadMedia

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
So.....how do you cook the eyeballs? Or do you cook them at all?
I have only had them from a cooked head from yellows. white seabass and tuna. The first one i had was one of those ''i'll give you $20 if you eat that'' easiest $20 i ever made.

Reactions: Cubeye

aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
all fish. Keeping it dry on the outside helps it last longer and taste better. Next time you go to a sushi restaurant notice that they store a lot of the fish wrapped in paper towels.
Actually you are just wiping the moisture from the fish which helps with the cutting process. And you wipe your knife with the towel to make sure it is clean from the small scale and slime from the previous cut.

Sushi restaurant wraps it in towel and saran wrap and tightly not to let air enter. Before cutting a BFT up it is best to let it sit for 2 days with a clean belly and towel inside of it to soak up the moisture. The meat itself will not look to water down but also bleeding, spiking and wiring it is a must and also put a hose in the fish to help bleed it out.

stella marina

Nov 21, 2011
santa cruz
Name
Andrew
Boat
Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
that was cool..i.watched the whole thing...30 mins went by quick

JoshInSD

Dec 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
Mackerel Magnet (Sailfish 21' CC)
Actually you are just wiping the moisture from the fish which helps with the cutting process. And you wipe your knife with the towel to make sure it is clean from the small scale and slime from the previous cut.

Sushi restaurant wraps it in towel and saran wrap and tightly not to let air enter. Before cutting a BFT up it is best to let it sit for 2 days with a clean belly and towel inside of it to soak up the moisture. The meat itself will not look to water down but also bleeding, spiking and wiring it is a must and also put a hose in the fish to help bleed it out.
Well said. Two days is tastier than same day for sure! Same goes for yellowtail, especially local kind. Let the meat settle for a few days, you’ll notice the difference. Especially when treated properly at kill time (bleed, spike and wire).

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
Looks more like a deba knife for the initial Breakdown, for certain in the second video.
Initial looks more like a standard chef's knife, I meant that yanagi he uses later on. Never seen someone use one to remove bloodline and break down a loin, that was interesting.