reelbadlarry

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 25, 2005
socal
Name
Larry
Boat Name
23ft parker, reel bad
Ps, I've got a bunch of the people who do Glamis hooked on it too, a lot of the wives get motion sick in the buggies and Kwells helps them enjoy the dunes now.....btw most wives don't tell you they feel like shit....they are tougher than us for sure.

Upvote 0

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat Name
Whoever is Hot that week
Cinnarrazine works as better then Kwells and can be found online or in Mexico. I learned about it from sailboat racers. It’s the best seasick solution out there with no side effects for me. Not even a dry mouth

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    1st Don't drink 20 beers screaming and yelling in the galley til 2am with others...better odds.
    Then again 20 less guys on the rail night/am is
    a good thing too. LOL LOL

Upvote 0

Bullshipper

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 4, 2006
    Yucaipa/San Carlos, Sonora
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat Name
    Windstar 28 Pilothouse Cat
    Sea sickness is simply motion sickness. Like when you try to read or do things with your eyes at close range in a car on a bumpy road.
    All you have to do is look up at a distant object like a cloud or mountain for 10- 15 minutes when you pull away from the dock facing into the wind instead of watching the water surface, swinging curtains, or try to rig and tie knots.
    This will let your inner ear get it's sea legs and you will be fine without drugs. Kids that complain of getting sea sick don't when they go with me no matter what they eat.
    Use knots you can tie without having to watch every step and you should be fine if you stay off your phone.

Reactions: stanky1
    Upvote 0

Wearefishin

Jun 13, 2022
    Tampabay
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    Grady White
    Ok, i love to fish. I fish almost every weekend. Lately, i've been taking my boat out to the salt and fishing local waters...

One problem i have is that I get seasick. When i used to do overnights, a few times in the summer, i would wear the seasick patch and that would help.

However, i'm looking to start fishing the local so cal waters on my small alum boat a lot more, and i don't want to drug up every time i go out.

Out of the last 3 trips, i yaked once, seasick once, and one time i was fine.

The more I go out, does my body adjust and get better? Or is this how its going to be forever...
    One thing lots of people don’t do is stay well hydrated. You have to drink way more water than you think you need and start drinking water early! Don’t look at your phone try to keep your gaze out and away from the boat. Do your best to pre rig everything so you don't have to look down. Bonine, non drowsy started before leaving shore may help you.

Upvote 0

Blah1234

Jun 26, 2014
    Name
    A
    Boat Name
    Lucky Won
    Ok, i love to fish. I fish almost every weekend. Lately, i've been taking my boat out to the salt and fishing local waters...

One problem i have is that I get seasick. When i used to do overnights, a few times in the summer, i would wear the seasick patch and that would help.

However, i'm looking to start fishing the local so cal waters on my small alum boat a lot more, and i don't want to drug up every time i go out.

The more I go out, does my body adjust and get better? Or is this how its going to be forever...
    Try using Motion eaze…can find in some tackle stores as well as drug stores near the landings in SD. Have seen it do wonders for folks when they are on the water and already feeling crappy.

Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
    Oct 30, 2004
    Torrance
    Name
    Brian
    Boat Name
    Cabo 216
    how they work on hangovers?

I use the $99 model and it works great. Feeling woozy at dinner, pop on the band and instantly feeling good. A friend has the $200 model and his doesn’t do anything for me.

5CD8EA01-E72E-444D-A4B1-D31B982E431B.jpeg

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat Name
    Yes
    This is an old and long thread, to which I believe I posted my experience. In a nutshell, I get sick sometimes, no telling when but usually not in heavy conditions or light conditions, but instead moderate conditions. My theory is that in heavy conditions I am too distracting by running the boat to even think about getting seasick, and in light conditions I don't have any expectation of getting seasick, but in between those extremes I have plenty of time to ponder whether there is any hint of oncoming seasickness, which becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. So, my experience with the various remedies by only be applicable to people like me whose seasickness is psychologically induced. I have tried everything, including bands, but nothing works consistently. The patch didn't stop me from throwing up while scuba diving 60' under after noticing the undulating eel grass and immediately worrying about getting sick underwater, which hadn't happened to me before. (Turns out, no big deal, just like they teach in diver cert class, everything goes easily through the regulator. The surprising part was how many fish came instantly out of no where to feast on my misfortune.)

The bands remind me of a time that one of my buddies got sick and wanted to try them. We got one strapped on his wrist set at the lowest setting. He immediately complained that it wasn't strong enough to do anything. So, we turned it up a notch but he was still not satisfied. After a couple more ineffective adjustments he said "just turn it all the way up", which we did. Every half second he got a big jolt that made him really jump in agony and he pleaded for us to turn it down. The problem was that he was jumping around so much that we couldn't get a hold of him to make the adjustment, though finally we did. The amazing part is that it cured his seasickness for that day.

Reactions: pukahd
    Upvote 0

TKing0511

Aug 5, 2022
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Tone King
    Boat Name
    MajorPain

I used to get sea sick a lot when I went out. Over the last few years I've tried not to think about getting sick when I'm on the boat as that would often seemingly trigger something. I use a patch now and have no issues getting sick when I go out. I think in general the more you go out the more your body/equilibrium will acclimate to being on the water. Also, I stopped eating heavy/greasy foods the night before any big trip which also seems to help.

Reactions: scott charlton
    Upvote 0

jim isbell

• Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat Name
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    I have a family member vacationing in Ireland and he is picking up as many boxes of Kwells as he can get his hands on for me. $4.30 a box! 🤙🏼
    A couple of things, check the AI (Active ingredient) of the Kwells, we used to have a pill called "Triptone" which HAD Scopolamine as the active, then they changed it. The reason is that the active is very, very controversial--it is also used as a "date rape" drug and it is harder and harder--and harder to find in pill form. There is ONE exception that I know of, it is a "compounding pharmacy" that will make up a small batch IF you can get a script from a Doctor. THAT PRESCRIPTION is NOT a walk in the woods, many Doctors will not give you one. Kaiser Doctors, for example, tend to write a script FOR WHAT THEY CARRY--and that is the patch, not the tablet.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

Robert c. Sample

Almost A Member
    Feb 11, 2019
    Snowflake arizona
    Name
    Robert sample
    Boat Name
    Reel rage
    A couple of things, check the AI (Active ingredient) of the Kwells, we used to have a pill called "Triptone" which HAD Scopolamine as the active, then they changed it. The reason is that the active is very, very controversial--it is also used as a "date rape" drug and it is harder and harder--and harder to find in pill form. There is ONE exception that I know of, it is a "compounding pharmacy" that will make up a small batch IF you can get a script from a Doctor. THAT PRESCRIPTION is NOT a walk in the woods, many Doctors will not give you one. Kaiser Doctors, for example, tend to write a script FOR WHAT THEY CARRY--and that is the patch, not the tablet.
    Most deckhands prefer meth.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    Yep screw Kaiser, I have Aetna , but my primary will call my compound RX for me,
    With bad ear infections in the past,
    The pill form of the patch is great.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

• Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat Name
    Cinnarrazine works as better then Kwells and can be found online or in Mexico. I learned about it from sailboat racers. It’s the best seasick solution out there with no side effects for me. Not even a dry mouth
    Really? Thanks, I'll check it out for sure. I see it right now on eBay.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat Name
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    A couple of things, check the AI (Active ingredient) of the Kwells, we used to have a pill called "Triptone" which HAD Scopolamine as the active, then they changed it. The reason is that the active is very, very controversial--it is also used as a "idate rape" drug and it is harder and harder--and harder to find in pill form. There is ONE exception that I know of, it is a "compounding pharmacy" that will make up a smpall batch IF you can get a script from a Doctor. THAT PRESCRIPTION is NOT a walk in the woods, many Doctors will not give you one. Kaiser Doctors, for example, tend to write a script FOR WHAT THEY CARRY--and that is the patch, not the tablet.
    The "AI" in Kwells is Hyoscine Hydrobromide 300 micrograms. This is the same ingrediients as Scopace only half as much. Scopolamine is a generic name for Hyoscine Hydrobromide. Kwells does give you a buzz.... I take it when I leave my house and when I get to the boat ramp, about 10 min. from my house, when I get out of my truck I am fucked up, but by the time I walk to the back of my boat I am back to normal. A "date rape" drug!?? I guess if you took a couple box's of the shit it might be, but still not as effective as a couple of beers and a shot. It's harder to find in pill form because the company that makes Scopace doesn't make it any more but they hold the patent on it so they still make money on it and that is why you can't buy Kwells in this country. The problem with the compounding pharmacy is you get it in capsule form, while Kwells is made to taste good and you can let it dissolve in your mouth which makes it work quicker and you can take it after you start feeling bad and it works.
    There are lots of reasons people get sick, drinking is probably #1, but it could be lack of sleep, excitement, the smell or they do it to themselves... however true "sea sickness" is caused by a problem with your inner ear, you don't get your "sea legs" or "get over it" by going out more often and you aren't going to "out grow it" unless your a kid. Kids will get ear infections etc. more than adults and as they grow up they don't have the problems with their ears and they don't get sea sick any more.
    I never got sea sick, never took anything, and didn't have much compassion for those who did. I didn't know how bad it was. Then a little over ten years ago I got a real bad ear infection and along with not being able to hear out of one ear I now get sea sick... I will get sea sick in the bay at the dock. I still went fishing even though I knew I was going to get sick. I could go in whenever I wanted to, it was my boat, but I would tough it out until everyone was done fishing, my friends thought i was nuts... I would never do that again, I'm spoiled now, if they quit making Kwells I will quit fishing.
    I took every over the counter product and home remadey and the only thing that works is Kwells. As far as I am concerned it's the best, but like all drugs what works for one person might not work for you, they all do different things and have different effects on the person using them.

Reactions: maguro51
    Upvote 0

Nicechrisman

Almost A Member
    Sep 30, 2022
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Chris
    I saw some poor guy on the Freelance this fall who was chumming before we even got out of the breakwall. I've never seen anyone so sick in my life. He was just curled up in a ball on the ground covering his face the entire full day trip. Felt so bad for him and so grateful I don't get sick

Upvote 0

jim isbell

• Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat Name
    The only thing that ever worked--and always works-is scopolamine. And it is the only thing I ever saw that even works after you get sick, but one caution. Never, ever, give someone a prescription drug that was not prescribed for THEM by a Doctor. I once just sat a bottle of scopolamine tablets out for a young couple, who each took it--and they said later it worked like the charm it is, but I have been advised to be damn sure it is "made available", meaning they chose to take it. Even that, I'm not really sure. Especially these days, some guy takes one of YOUR pills, and something bad happens--I'm not sure you are in the clear. I don't know--just sayin. Doctors and or lawyers, on this site, might offer direction on this.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    The only thing that ever worked--and always works-is scopolamine. And it is the only thing I ever saw that even works after you get sick, but one caution. Never, ever, give someone a prescription drug that was not prescribed for THEM by a Doctor. I once just sat a bottle of scopolamine tablets out for a young couple, who each took it--and they said later it worked like the charm it is, but I have been advised to be damn sure it is "made available", meaning they chose to take it. Even that, I'm not really sure. Especially these days, some guy takes one of YOUR pills, and something bad happens--I'm not sure you are in the clear. I don't know--just sayin. Doctors and or lawyers, on this site, might offer direction on this.
    if you have high Blood pressure you can use the Patch ,but not the pill .

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

• Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat Name
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I believe I heard somewhere that scopolamine was not recommended to people with high blood pressure. Can anyone verify this?

Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
    Oct 30, 2004
    Torrance
    Name
    Brian
    Boat Name
    Cabo 216
    I’m going now on at least 15 straight trips from overnite to 10 dayer without getting sick with my $99 “Relief Band”. Felt queezy at dinner on a rough night, ran down to my bunk and out the band on and was feeling good. Pretty much instantly.

Upvote 0