How to avoid getting seasick?

Nov 16, 2020
Northern California
Name
Noah B Coccaro
Boat
Hobie Kayak
We’ve been doing it for 4-5 years now. Have the doc write the script, take it to a compounding pharmacy. We pay about $40 up here.
ONLY 1 spray into ONLY 1 nostril. Works awesome. I’ve sent this pic to folks in other states and they’ve gotten it too.

View attachment 1204177
It seems that Steven's Pharmacy is no longer in business -- has anyone found another source for the Scopolomine spray?

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I just Pick up Another Prescription
this morning ,
and Rivers Edge has moved, and they are back at
the Old Stevens RX Location,
and its now called Mesa Verde Pharmacy,
at 1525 E Mesa Verde Dr ,
Costa Mesa, ca 92626 ,
# 1-714-884-3574
this is A Compound RX .
Just tell them that Gerry referred you

Last edited:

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
You can try Scopace. It's similar to the patch, but in pill form and shorter acting. Levsin SL is another short acting pill that may help. They all have the potential to make you tired, dry mouth etc. Ginger capsules can work for the nausea.
If you're prone, that's that.... I work with a lot of folks that do multi day trips that feel sick before we hit the Coronados, but still go. LOL
Six years later...they don't make Scopace anymore--nor any other pill form Scopolamine. One exception--you can go to a compounding pharmacy--but good luck getting a prescription to go there. Take Kaiser for example, generally they will only write a script for what THEIR pharmacy stocks--and they do not stock ANY pill form, so you are stuck with the patch. One important thing to know about that patch, you must put it on the night before--period. It takes much, much longer to get into your system than does the pills

KXKH

Almost A Member
Feb 28, 2018
NorCal
Name
Boat
19' Hobie
May or may have not have been said on here already with this specific brand of ginger candy...but us religious kayak fisherman out here in NorCal swear by these. Might not taste very good, but better than your stomach acid. Can be found at your Asian Supermarket.

P001369-740x740.jpg

rex

May 15, 2007
Riverside
Name
rex
Boat
16 ft cobia
sea sickness is about 3-10% in your inner ear and about 97-90 % pyscological....over and over a hot bite has cured even those who are puking bile ...
the more you worry about it the sicker you will get.My son has a friend that got sick on a trip on a large boat on about a flat calm a day as you can expect...the reason for two weeks before they went all he could talk about is am I gonna get sick....so delete this thread don't respond to anyone about it and quit worrying about it
I usually start getting seasick 8 hours prior to getting on the boat

• Haha
Reactions: Groper

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Doug I thought you were smarter than that... your numbers are deceptive, it would be better to say get sick and get sea sick. Obviously you don't get sea sick or you would understand it better. People often get sick for a variety of reasons and it only happens once in a while, but true sea sickness is caused by a problem with the inner ear. The reason you see people come out of it during a wide open bite is caused by the effect of adrenaline and is temporary, just like a person taking nitroglycerin when having a heart attack or someone clearing their head with smelling salts. You don't "out grow it" or "get over it" as an adult, kids growing up and still developing are prone to ear infections and problems with their inner ear can "out grow it" as they get older. I never got sea sick, never took anything and didn't have much compassion for those who did... because I never realized how bad it was. Then I got a real bad ear infection that even cost me most of the hearing in one ear... now I will get sick even in the bay. Nothing worked and i would go fishing and just tough it out, it was my boat and I could come in if I wanted to but I wouldn't until everyone was done for the day, everyone thought I was nuts. Then I discovered Kwells, made fishing fun again. sea sickness is caused by your brain getting mixed signals from your eyes and your inner ear and thinks you are being poisened and you puke trying to get the poisen out, only there isn't any to get out so you don't feel better you just keep puking. There is an instant cure for this, all you have to do is get out of the boat, I have never been so sick I am getting out of the boat, fuck that I'll get out just before it sinks.

Reactions: Groper and TOTW

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
Scopolamine is the key for me--yeah, even when I was "psyched out" the fist time I used it, I didn't get sick--did 't feel shit and it was a rough day. And you know when it is working--how? Dry mouth like cotton, and you don't like that dry taste--and you don't get sick, so you don't care. But....getting that shit is harder than it ever has been, do you know why? Because, it has become a date rape drug, and Doctors don't want to give it to you in the tablet form--cause you can grind up the tab and put in in someone's drink, and they do that. Not just rape, but people wake up with their wallet gone--and their memory too. Now the "patch"--it works great but it has a downside, one it lasts for like three days--but if you are just going out for the day, it is a lot more than you need. But I use it anyway. And here is what you can count on, trust me. Take it the night before, because it takes a lot of hours to get that into you. Wake up with dry mouth, go with full confidence. Any chance for tablets? Yeah, if you can get the Doctor to write you a script that you can take to a compounding pharmacy--like the OC compounding pharmacy. But that isn't easy because like I said, a lot of Doctors don't want their name on a scripts for a dangerous drug--and two, they like to write a script for something their pharmacy carried. Kaiser, for example will only write a note for the patch--because Kaiser carries the patch. There are exceptions, last time I was in urgent care, the Kaiser doc talked to me after I got fixed up and he said "while you are here-is there anything else I can do for you?". If you can believe he actually said that--he did. I told him about Scopolamine and he said "I got no issue letting you have a note to the Compounding Pharmacy, so I got a bunch that way. The pill form is still the best, straight into your blood stream, dry mouth in an hour.

Reactions: dh515 and jer dog

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Scopolamine is the key for me--yeah, even when I was "psyched out" the fist time I used it, I didn't get sick--did 't feel shit and it was a rough day. And you know when it is working--how? Dry mouth like cotton, and you don't like that dry taste--and you don't get sick, so you don't care. But....getting that shit is harder than it ever has been, do you know why? Because, it has become a date rape drug, and Doctors don't want to give it to you in the tablet form--cause you can grind up the tab and put in in someone's drink, and they do that. Not just rape, but people wake up with their wallet gone--and their memory too. Now the "patch"--it works great but it has a downside, one it lasts for like three days--but if you are just going out for the day, it is a lot more than you need. But I use it anyway. And here is what you can count on, trust me. Take it the night before, because it takes a lot of hours to get that into you. Wake up with dry mouth, go with full confidence. Any chance for tablets? Yeah, if you can get the Doctor to write you a script that you can take to a compounding pharmacy--like the OC compounding pharmacy. But that isn't easy because like I said, a lot of Doctors don't want their name on a scripts for a dangerous drug--and two, they like to write a script for something their pharmacy carried. Kaiser, for example will only write a note for the patch--because Kaiser carries the patch. There are exceptions, last time I was in urgent care, the Kaiser doc talked to me after I got fixed up and he said "while you are here-is there anything else I can do for you?". If you can believe he actually said that--he did. I told him about Scopolamine and he said "I got no issue letting you have a note to the Compounding Pharmacy, so I got a bunch that way. The pill form is still the best, straight into your blood stream, dry mouth in an hour.
But it’s $4.00 a pill now,
But I picked it up anyways,
Because I hate 🤮

Reactions: dh515

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
Drug prices are insane--but with the amount all of us spend every damn time we go, most of us will pay it if it makes a difference. That shit makes a difference with 0.0 doubt.

Reactions: jer dog

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
I keep hearing the same shit over and over.... all you have to do is go on Ebay and buy some Kwells and your problems are gone. It has the same ingredients as scopace only half as much, it is made by Bayer a well know and trusted company. It isn't sold in this country because the company that made scopace doesn't make it anymore but they hold the patent on it so no one else can make it and sell it. Over all it is less than getting it made at a compounding rx BUT the most important part is, it is made to taste okay so you can let it dissolve in your mouth and will work even if you are already sick. I used to start taking things the day before going... didn't help me any, with Kwells I take a couple when I leave my house, I live about 5 min. from the bay and i am good all day. I always let them dissolve in my mouth and I know they are working by the time I am at the ramp because when I first get out of my truck I am fucked up... yes it gives you a buzz, but by the time I go from the cab to the back of my boat to unhook it I am back to normal.
Maybe some of you guys just like to complain and bitch about having the problem because all you have to do it try Kwells one time and the problem would be gone.

Reactions: nate and Tifoso

Tifoso

Chinook,halibut,lings,bottom fish&everything else
  • Jul 25, 2016
    norCal (central valley)
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    🚤
    I keep hearing the same shit over and over.... all you have to do is go on Ebay and buy some Kwells and your problems are gone. It has the same ingredients as scopace only half as much, it is made by Bayer a well know and trusted company. It isn't sold in this country because the company that made scopace doesn't make it anymore but they hold the patent on it so no one else can make it and sell it. Over all it is less than getting it made at a compounding rx BUT the most important part is, it is made to taste okay so you can let it dissolve in your mouth and will work even if you are already sick. I used to start taking things the day before going... didn't help me any, with Kwells I take a couple when I leave my house, I live about 5 min. from the bay and i am good all day. I always let them dissolve in my mouth and I know they are working by the time I am at the ramp because when I first get out of my truck I am fucked up... yes it gives you a buzz, but by the time I go from the cab to the back of my boat to unhook it I am back to normal.
    Maybe some of you guys just like to complain and bitch about having the problem because all you have to do it try Kwells one time and the problem would be gone.
    Only available on eBay ?

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    Well thanks for the good info, seriously. Kwells sounds like a good way to go---such a cheerful, helpful guy--tight lines.

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
    Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    Ebay is the most convienant, any on line pharmacy from AU or the UK should have it too. Epharmacy,com out of AU is where I used to get it, now I have a friend who works for the airlines and she gets it for me so I don't have to pay for shipping.

Reactions: jer dog and Tifoso

kapnd

Almost A Member
    Jul 22, 2007
    haleiwa Hawaii
    Name
    don
    Boat
    ss minnow
    I don't get sea sick but my fiance does and we found somehting that works really well for her. Take the meds the night before right before you go to bed...full dose. When you wake up in the morning that you're fishing take another dose. This allows it to be at full concentration in your blood well before you're on the water. Doing this is what finally kept her from getting sick. You see a lot of people taking them like 15 minutes before they get on the boat and they're already sick before the meds have a chance to do their job.
    Take a dose at bedtime, follow up in the am, no problems.
    I always recommendEd this to clients when I was chartering, and it worked well, unless it was overridden by partying late.
    Anybody who carried a Mc Donald’s bag on board was guaranteed to puke!

Paul Ward

Jul 17, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    wooddog
    Boat
    Boaty
    I don't get sea sick but my fiance does and we found somehting that works really well for her. Take the meds the night before right before you go to bed...full dose. When you wake up in the morning that you're fishing take another dose. This allows it to be at full concentration in your blood well before you're on the water. Doing this is what finally kept her from getting sick. You see a lot of people taking them like 15 minutes before they get on the boat and they're already sick before the meds have a chance to do their job.
    I agree a dose of Bodine he night before and another before going out works %100 of the time for me....

Reactions: Drew Stephens

Pcampbell61

Dec 26, 2020
    California
    Name
    Patrick Campbell
    Boat
    Stabicraft 2250 ultra center cab
    Ganja works for nausea might be a cure.. all joking aside I’d be interested to hear if anyone agrees or disagrees. It been a long time since I got sea sick.

Reel Kahuna

Mar 24, 2011
    Lake Camanche, CA
    Name
    Seon
    Boat
    23.5' Navigator Duckworth F150 Yamaha
    My SIL gets seasick and the other day while trolling for Halibut I noticed him taking Dramamine. He said he takes one the night before, then one the next morning and another two hours later. He said it works for him. I checked on line that reads, "No more that 6-8 table a day" so I guess he's alright taking them during the fishing trips.

Reactions: Larry S