How to avoid getting seasick?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by flyhigh123, May 7, 2014.

1. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    I was on A 2 1/2 day Trip Last October, and I Felt so sorry
    for this guy that was Puking his guts out,
    so I ask him if he had high Blood pressure,
    and he said no why , because the pills
    I have say not to take it if you do,
    so I gave him one of mine,
    and he was fine the rest of the Day, .04 Scopolamine
    Capsules did the trick .

Ashearer76 likes this.
  2. Andy12345

Andy12345 Newbie

Name:
    andy
    Boat:
    17' striper
    Thank you very much for your help. My wife she is a pharmacist, she got me some pills, it works for me but made me really sleepy. I wonder the band that they selling on amazon around $90 doses it really works?

3. Buttchaser

Buttchaser Fresh One!

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    I don't know , never had that problem !

4. ChuyG

ChuyG Member

Name:
    Jesus
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    I get sick more than half of the time I get on the water. It doesn't matter if I use pharmaceuticals or not. I am a pharmacist, btw. I've gotten sick when it looks like a lake. Needless to say, I keep going because I love to fish. However, on Friday 4/5/19 I went on the San Diego for the first trip of the season and decided to not premedicate or use the Transderm Scop patch. I decided to try CBD (cannabidiol) oil. My life will never be the same!

I have been reading about the various uses for CBD and decided to try it for motion sickness. Within 30 minutes of heading out, I started getting the tell-tale signs that I was heading for the rail. With me, it usually starts as burping. Once the burping starts, I have never been able to avoid hurling over the side at some point. I took a dose of the CBD and was shocked that the burping resolved. Later that day when we stopped to rockfish, I started feeling ill again. I took another dose and the burps & nausea resolved again.

We caught limits of yellowtail that day, but I am more fired up about the CBD than the fish! I will never go on a boat again without it!

For those of you that are unfamiliar with CBD, it is not psychoactive at all. If you find a good hemp source, there shouldn't be detectable levels of THC. It is perfectly legal. I used the oral drops, but you can also get vape pens, edibles, etc.

5. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    Thanks for the info. What brand did you use?

6. WellFairFisher

WellFairFisher "Delicious Bass"

Name:
    Warren
    Boat:
    13ft Whaler
    Appreciate the info, any chance your pharmacy sells this?

I’ve always been hesitant because my union does random drug tests and I don’t want to risk my job.

Ashearer76 likes this.
  7. Msz. B

Msz. B Newbie

Name:
    Barbara Campbell
    Boat:
    S/V Blue Chablis
    Stugeron Forte - that's something I learned about from other sailors when Soup and I were live aboard cruisers (for 14 years) in Mexico...some years ago. At that time, it was not available in the US but was in Canada and Mx. It was like a miracle drug. It would interrupt the ss (seasickness) even after started. The only side effect I had from it was it made me ravenously hungry. Soup would come top side for his half of nite watch and know immediately if I had an episode of ss cuz the cockpit would be littered with wrappers from snacks etc. All the good stuff would be gone and he would have the dregs. Good fella, though, never complained.

8. jim isbell

jim isbell Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    Thanks for this tip, I was not aware. I am curious re. two things though: where do you get "CBD"?, and why did you not take the Scopolamine? I don't like the patch in that it takes longer to get into the system than the old tablets that they used to have--which they don't have any more. But do keep in mind, if you can get someone to write an open script, a compounding pharmacy can still make up a small batch of Scopolamine in the tablet form.

9. Thomas Lim

Thomas Lim Newbie

Name:
    Thomas
    Boat:
    I wish
    Same here. I get seasick and the smell of bacon cooking in the galley in the morning or the diesel smell alone gets me going. I’m a regular smoker but didn’t sMoke prior or during my fishing trips thinking it would make me more sick. HOWEVER, once I decided I’d give it a try, it changed everything. I don’t even take drummamine or bonine or any of that. Just Mary J and it works wonders. I smoke before and during the trip. If you’re on a boat where they won’t allow you to smoke just get a wax/vape pen.

10. Jcool100

Jcool100 Newbie

Name:
    Jeannette
    Boat:
    N/a

11. Jcool100

Jcool100 Newbie

Name:
    Jeannette
    Boat:
    N/a
    Ask your Dr. to prescribe Promethazine. I have tried everything also. Last trip I took the Promethazine every 3 to 4 hours and wore the pressure point wristbands. It can make you drowsy, but i don't care about that. Don't drink a lot of fluid before leaving on your trip and eat a Cliff bar.

12. Pappy

Pappy Newbie

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
    Not big enough
    As I got older and having to take certain meds I noticed that I started getting nauseous. After some research I seen the Stugeren or Venoxil pills the Norwegian fisherman use. You can only get Venoxil in Mexico. You get 60 tablets, 75mg for about $2.50 USD. I dont get any side effects like dry mouth. I take one at night before I go to bed and one in the morning an hour before getting on the boat.

mx56462.jpg

13. Allen Rice

Allen Rice Cranefish

Name:
    Allen Rice
    Boat:
    N/A
    I, too, am prone to seasickness. Dramamine and bonines get my head spinning and dry mouth and dry heaves. I would be afraid to est anything because I would throw up.

Through my research and development & experiences I always take with me crackers and Gatorade for dehydration. I've discovered that Walmart brand equate version of anti sea sick pills ,which cost less than $2 a pack works GREAT. I take one the night before the trip,one in the morning and one an hour before the trip. I swear by them and tell all my puking buddies my technique. It's been a long time since I've been REALLY sea sick. About the only time I do puke is when I'm fishing on a panga but once I do(and to even now that's seldom), it's out of my system and I feel much better afterwards again. So crackers, Gatorade and equate is my remedy. And I'm not afraid to eat on the boat anymore...lol.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  14. garret_crispi

garret_crispi Newbie

Name:
    Garret Crispi
    Boat:
    Pump n' Squirt
    Try Medterra CBD. We are located in OC as well for all you locals.

15. gonzo25

gonzo25 GOT A BIG ONE

Name:
    george
    Boat:
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    WRONG.... GREAT NEWS for those of you who get sea sick,
    KWELLS and kwells for kids is now being sold on E-bay.

There are lots of things that can make you get sick when your on the water, BUT if you suffer from getting sea sick it is a problem with your inner ear, Kids have problems with their ears and are subject to ear infections more than adults and they may "out grow it", this doesn't happen with adults. I never got sea sick, ever, no matter what I did or ate never even felt bad once in a while, I was that asshole who would be smoking a cigar and eating a burger while people were dropping all around me and just like some of the assholes on here all I would say was "get over it." Then about 15 yrs ago I got a really bad ear infection, even lost the hearing in one ear, ever since then I will get sick every time i am on the water, even in the bay. I still fished, i would just man up and deal with it and my friends thought i was nuts, I tried everything anyone ever suggested except scopace and nothing worked, then I tried Kwells, same ingredients as scopace but only half as much. The big difference is that you can let Kwells dissolve in your mouth and can take it after you are getting sick and it still works, scopace was probably like that too but now you can only get it in capsules and that doesn't do it. Kwells... you can now get it on E-bay.

16. Mnico

Mnico Member

Name:
    Mike Nicoletti
    Boat:
    pending
    Always got sick since i was a kid and Bonine was the only thing that worked for me (starting at least 12 hours before leaving the dock). I recently got Kwells on the advice of this forum and have yet to try it.

Question: Anyone ever tried 2 different types of medication (bonine early then Kwells on the water) or is that asking for trouble?

17. gonzo25

gonzo25 GOT A BIG ONE

Name:
    george
    Boat:
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    Its never a good thing to mix your meds... they may both prevent motion sickness but mau do it different ways, you could make one or the other or both ineffective.

take two kwells a half hour before you will be on the water, let the dissolve in your mouth. If you haven't used them before give them a try, you may have a new sea sick med

They will work taking them after you have started to get sick, but why do that? trust me it is much better to feel good from the get go and stay that way all day

jer dog likes this.
  18. geebee

geebee Member

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    just got my Transderm-Scop 72hr 1 Mg/3days Dis patch Rx renewed today - first i'm wondering if the same medication asScopace

second i'm wondering if there is a benefit to removing the patch (after a day trip) and washing off the area to stop the medication

Vs taking a pill form and not being able to stop the medication early over the three days or so it works

19. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    That is why I hated the Patch, I only do the Capsule
    form from A Compound RX, I just take one when
    I get on the Boat , then only take it,
    when I start feeling like Crap,
    some times I double up, then I'm fine.

20. geebee

geebee Member

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    the patch actually works for me (if i had a free 16 day trip but no patches, i would pass on the trip)

my point was - if the Transderm-Scop patch and the Scopace pill are the same medication - i can remove the patch after a day trip and stop the medication from administering the last two days

maybe i should read up on my comparison before asking the question in case they are not the same medication