How to avoid getting seasick?

Apr 8, 2020
Venice Beach
Name
Chris
Boat
None
I’ve found not drinking the night before, no coffee in the am. Eat light and snack often. Saltine crackers and water works for me. I also avoid going below deck if possible. Try and stay busy, keep your mind off how you are feeling.

chunkster

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 10, 2020
east coast
Name
chunk
Boat
bay liner
Antiemetics

They cause drowsiness. When your handling hooks and
sharp items in rough weather I recommend laying down.
A little ginger controls the gagging gland - ginger ale :)

Groper

I'm not that guy.
Jun 9, 2018
Name
Bill
Boat
2550 May-Craft PH
ok, I think I figured out why the pills are no longer available and why it is almost impossible for most people to get the Rx

Original brand patches around $25 ea
Pills around $4 each

it is all about the money...
So a friend of mine has a HMO Insurance plan and he gets the 4 pack of patches when he and his wife take cruises for $5 a pack.

So I traded a few Beers for a 4 pack. 😁

I suggest you make a new friend that has a HMO plan geebee.

Yarik899

May 21, 2020
Montreal, Canada
Name
Yarik Griffin
Boat
Aqua Marina Classic Fishing Boat
I also faced such a problem last year. Salt crackers worked for me. But I'm glad that I've found this topic. I'll try the suggested ways. Thanks!

ING

ING
Feb 19, 2007
California
Name
ING
Boat
N/A
Back in the day I fished out of San Francisco and would feel like shit all the time. When I put a walk man on (Wow that was a long time ago) the sea sickness went away immediately. Seasickness is caused when you eyes and the equilibrium sensors located in our ears don’t agree. So I keep my ears busy and it was gone .
It is reasonable and useful experience. I'll try. Thank you!

ING

ING
Feb 19, 2007
California
Name
ING
Boat
N/A
Back in the day I fished out of San Francisco and would feel like shit all the time. When I put a walk man on (Wow that was a long time ago) the sea sickness went away immediately. Seasickness is caused when you eyes and the equilibrium sensors located in our ears don’t agree. So I keep my ears busy and it was gone .
Chewing of ginger for sushi is very helpful for me.

ING

ING
Feb 19, 2007
California
Name
ING
Boat
N/A
Standing. Do not sot or lean against the rail. Bend your knees and let your legs absorb the rocking motions.

Stay out of the galley.

Ginger candy, ginger pills, ginger tea. Ginger is a natural remedy and works for many people.

Try not to eat much volume of food and if you do happen to yak, go over the rail and don’t drink too many fluids afterwards or it will keep coming.
Chewing of plain ginger for sushi very helpful...

ING

ING
Feb 19, 2007
California
Name
ING
Boat
N/A
Do not sit inside of boat. Watch the horizon. At that case your brain could coordinate visual and information with vestibular...

rancanfish

wow, how deep is it here?
Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
I used to party boat all the time until vertigo raised it's ugly head. Went away for a few years and now it's back. I go off kilter all of a sudden, fall to one knee, then feel like puking.
I'm taking Meclazine every day hoping I can get it back under control.
Life without fishing sucks.

• Sad
Reactions: Groper

Groper

I'm not that guy.
Jun 9, 2018
Name
Bill
Boat
2550 May-Craft PH
Extra Coffee 8-)
Ahh it's funny you mentioned Coffee (caffeine), my ears nose & throat Doc said the Caffeine & Alcohol contribute to my vestibular inflammation.

Hahahah the to two things I enjoy in excess on a daily basis dam it 🤬

Some people will never be able to avoid seasickness, even after vestibular surgery.
Yes I've read about that and for me if the Vertigo gets seriously worse then and only then would that be a option.

Reactions: Wade A Tietze

palmerpz

Bastardo
Jan 27, 2011
santee CA USA
Name
drew palmer
Boat
Parker 2320 IW229
Talk to MaryJane In conjunction with Compazine ...not sure if I spelled it correctly...... is what helps my wife who literally vomits anytime she goes on any boat.... paddle,cruise,lake,ocean canoe,

J-Dog

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 13, 2007
Valencia
Name
Jason
Boat
43' Bertram "PierFection"
I have not read the previous post. Forgive me if this is a repeat.
There have been so many subjects on this matter. By far the best thing that I have ever had for my passengers and electronic device called the Relier band. You want to get the original model which is gray and blue. Sold on Amazon. Do not get the new modern version that looks like an I watch and it’s rechargeable. Check the reviews. 30 day warranty and exchange if not satisfied. Everyone I know has been completely satisfied.

1592605305550.png