jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
i've paid about $100 for four patches (costco) as long as i can remember (going back to the '90s) as recently as a couple times over the past two years

just renewed prescription and they filled w/ generic at around $40 (four patches)

worth repeating ... instructions call out five hours before you get on boat
I take the pill a hour before , then I’m
Good to go.

Reactions: geebee

RENRIV

Jun 26, 2018
San Diego
Name
Ray
Boat
Proline XP23
To avoid getting sea sick, I usually take one Bonine at least 2 hours before I go anywhere out side of the Bay on a boat, and I don't have any sea sickness. I also carry a bag of the Trader Joes' ginger chews that I eat throughout the trip. Ginger is supposed to calm the stomach and helps in preventing nausea. If I start feeling sick, especially if I'm looking down tying a knot, I eat one of the chews and keep an eye on the horizon. Looking at the horizon, instead of down allows my body (inner ear)to stabilize and adjust to the movement of the boat. I haven't been sick, so it seems to work for me. For the Bonine, I don't need more than one. If I take two it makes me really tired and sleepy especially at the end of the trip. When I take Bonine I don't have any alcohol at all. For me, a beer after taking a dose of Bonine usually makes it very hard to keep my eyes open. One of the side effects also for me after taking bonine, is being very tired the next day. This seems to work for me, but it might not work for everyone. Also, you just have to make sure you don't have anything that will prevent you from taking the Bonine (meclizine) or eating ginger. You must know how it might affect you, before taking it. Like any medication, read the warning label. It is a less drowsy medication, but it makes me sleepy none the less, even after the 24 hour period.

Last edited:

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
...I paid $120.00 for 30 capsules...
ok, I think I figured out why the pills are no longer available and why it is almost impossible for most people to get the Rx

Original brand patches around $25 ea
Pills around $4 each

it is all about the money...

Reactions: jer dog

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
ok, I think I figured out why the pills are no longer available and why it is almost impossible for most people to get the Rx

Original brand patches around $25 ea
Pills around $4 each

it is all about the money...
Winner ,Winner ,Chicken Dinner.

flyhigh123

Bangarang
Aug 16, 2012
los angeles
Name
flyhigh123
Boat
Parker 2320
I've been buying the ebay ones from vietnam. Price is good and never an issue, been using it for maybe 2-3 years now. I was actually in vietnam a year back and its the same stuff on the shelf. I believe its made in taiwan sold in vietnam.

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
Picked up my patches yesterday via prescription through my doctor. Going through insurance I paid $5. I've never been badly bothered by sea sickness, BUT, I've used them before, and when going out for a multi-day trip it's good to hedge your bet.

Robsurf

Bobby Fillet
Nov 28, 2016
Lawndale
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Standing. Do not sot or lean against the rail. Bend your knees and let your legs absorb the rocking motions.

Stay out of the galley.

Ginger candy, ginger pills, ginger tea. Ginger is a natural remedy and works for many people.

Try not to eat much volume of food and if you do happen to yak, go over the rail and don’t drink too many fluids afterwards or it will keep coming.

Groper

I'm not that guy.
Jun 9, 2018
Name
Bill
Boat
2550 May-Craft PH
I've been buying the ebay ones from vietnam. Price is good and never an issue, been using it for maybe 2-3 years now. I was actually in vietnam a year back and its the same stuff on the shelf. I believe its made in taiwan sold in vietnam.
I was wondering about the Vietnam patches being 10 boxes = 20 patches Ariel TDDS - nausea - Motion Sickness Patch Scopolamine for $28.50 on Ebay, I also emailed the seller to get a Exp. date of 4/21 with a quick response.

Last friday I finally received a prescription from my Kaiser Dr. along with a Kaiser Pharm. bill of $69.95 for (4) patches :eek: I then went across the st. to Costco and used a Rx Coupon (for the first time) and they were $30.00 for (4) patches :)

Unfortunately I don't have or are on a group plan for my families Health Ins plan with $5 copays for all Meds. :(

Also my Kaiser Dr. wouldn't prescribe Scop. in a capsule form so for those I'd have to go to some walk-in clinic to get a prescription. I'll try theses patches for the first time this weekend, we'll see how the work me.:D

Reactions: kevinliuser

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I was wondering about the Vietnam patches being 10 boxes = 20 patches Ariel TDDS - nausea - Motion Sickness Patch Scopolamine for $28.50 on Ebay, I also emailed the seller to get a Exp. date of 4/21 with a quick response.

Last friday I finally received a prescription from my Kaiser Dr. along with a Kaiser Pharm. bill of $69.95 for (4) patches :eek: I then went across the st. to Costco and used a Rx Coupon (for the first time) and they were $30.00 for (4) patches :)

Unfortunately I don't have or are on a group plan for my families Health Ins plan with $5 copays for all Meds. :(

Also my Kaiser Dr. wouldn't prescribe Scop. in a capsule form so for those I'd have to go to some walk-in clinic to get a prescription. I'll try theses patches for the first time this weekend, we'll see how the work me.:D
It was pretty Rough on my 2 Day last weekend, and I seen
some one with A Patch, and he was Sick like A dog,
and I took my Scop Capsules, 2 hour
before we left , then every 8 hours
after, and I only taught about ones,
its works great for me.

Reactions: Groper

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
...I'll try theses patches for the first time this weekend, we'll see how the work me.:D
be sure to apply the patch at least five hours before boarding

this has been said several times this thread, but it is the only way they work for me (and 5 hrs is in the instructions)

Reactions: Groper

mishi_fishi_

Nov 14, 2019
west palm beach, Fl
Name
michelle
Boat
i wish!
my problem is i suffer from vertigo...
some strange reason i can stand in high seas i just cant go into the cabins or its game over for me.
i get what i like to call "land sick" i never get sick to my stomach on the boat but when i hit land the ground wont stop moving for me doesnt make my stomach turn its just irrritating. so i found it if i sit most the time on the boat instead of standing im fine when i get to land. Also try not to have a empty stomach...also dramamine wont help unless you take it before your trip...

Carter W.

Aug 6, 2019
Newport Beach
Name
Carter W.
Boat
Nonexistent
hydrate as much as you can the previous 2-3 days before your trip. then the day before limit how much you drink. Got this tip from a guy at man local tackle shop and has work great for me.

Hinalea

Feb 3, 2008
Kalapalama Canal
Name
Bodo
Boat
Sears Gamefisha 12' Tri Hull
I have been using Scopace tablets for over 10 years and it has reliably kept me from getting sea sick most of the time with the following exceptions. If I am in a confined space where I cannot see the horizon, or prolonged tasks that requires visual concentration such as tying and rigging fishing tackle. Other than those I am able to withstand choppy, heaving seas, and any sort of rocking action as long as I am above deck. I usually take one tablet at least an hour before I get on the boat and if the sea state is bad, I take another one around 3 hours later and that gets me through an 8 hour trip easily. Unfortunately the supplier I was using no longer produces the scopace tablets. But I have recently tried "Kwells" which is an generic version of scopace, obtainable online but takes a couple of weeks to receive it because it come by way of Australia. It seemed to work okay but I had to take another one 2 hours into the trip because I was anchored and rocked a lot while trying to tie fishing rigging and mentally I wasn't comfortable with using an alternate product. And yes driving the boat and seeing the horizon early on in the trip can minimize the effects of sea/motion sickness if your unable to get medicated.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I have been using Scopace tablets for over 10 years and it has reliably kept me from getting sea sick most of the time with the following exceptions. If I am in a confined space where I cannot see the horizon, or prolonged tasks that requires visual concentration such as tying and rigging fishing tackle. Other than those I am able to withstand choppy, heaving seas, and any sort of rocking action as long as I am above deck. I usually take one tablet at least an hour before I get on the boat and if the sea state is bad, I take another one around 3 hours later and that gets me through an 8 hour trip easily. Unfortunately the supplier I was using no longer produces the scopace tablets. But I have recently tried "Kwells" which is an generic version of scopace, obtainable online but takes a couple of weeks to receive it because it come by way of Australia. It seemed to work okay but I had to take another one 2 hours into the trip because I was anchored and rocked a lot while trying to tie fishing rigging and mentally I wasn't comfortable with using an alternate product. And yes driving the boat and seeing the horizon early on in the trip can minimize the effects of sea/motion sickness if your unable to get medicated.
I use a Compound Rx, they make a Capsule from of Scopace ,
but getting A script from your Docter,
some times isn't easy.

Groper

I'm not that guy.
Jun 9, 2018
Name
Bill
Boat
2550 May-Craft PH
but getting A script from your Doctor,
sometimes isn't easy.
This is the problem I ran into Kaiser, my Doctor will not write a Prescription for tablets.
I wonder if the Pharmacy might have a clinic nearby that will write one ?

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
This is the problem I ran into Kaiser, my Doctor will not write a Prescription for tablets.
I wonder if the Pharmacy might have a clinic nearby that will write one ?
I heard if you bug the crap out of them ,
they will give in sooner or later, or
change doctors.

jim isbell

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
but getting A script from your Docter,
some times isn't easy.
and sometimes, getting a prescription is--impossible. I have one, but can't count on EVER getting it renewed. Do you know why? Because Scopolamine these days is a DATE RAPE drug, so good luck getting Doctors to write you a script, I'm talking about the tablet. The patch, no problem, because you can't abuse the patch, like you can, the pill. And here is a tip you can take to the bank for the patch--put it on the night before, it takes WAY longer to get into your system than the tablet. You will hear people tell you the patch doesn't work; that just isn't true, as long as you get the damn thing on hours before you hit the water. It just takes longer to get into your system. And here is the way you KNOW it is working--dry mouth. If you put it on, Friday night, and Saturday morning you have cotton mouth--it is working. Downside? You bet, it is expensive and they only give you a few patches--it lasts like three days, so you are paying way more than you need, and paying way too much for it.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
and sometimes, getting a prescription is--impossible. I have one, but can't count on EVER getting it renewed. Do you know why? Because Scopolamine these days is a DATE RAPE drug, so good luck getting Doctors to write you a script, I'm talking about the tablet. The patch, no problem, because you can't abuse the patch, like you can, the pill. And here is a tip you can take to the bank for the patch--put it on the night before, it takes WAY longer to get into your system than the tablet. You will hear people tell you the patch doesn't work; that just isn't true, as long as you get the damn thing on hours before you hit the water. It just takes longer to get into your system. And here is the way you KNOW it is working--dry mouth. If you put it on, Friday night, and Saturday morning you have cotton mouth--it is working. Downside? You bet, it is expensive and they only give you a few patches--it lasts like three days, so you are paying way more than you need, and paying way too much for it.
I just got a new script , a couple of months ago, and they jacked the price up
To $120 for 30 pills

yakmandan

Well-Known "Member"
May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
If you get sick eat something if you barf that up eat something
Keep doing that until you can hold it down. It's better than dry heaving and eventually you'll keep it down.
I've fished with lots of people who get seasick the ones that keep eating recover better and faster.

Reactions: Kin
Mar 25, 2020
Kansas City
Name
Novy Pals
Boat
Fishing Boat
I have the same experience as you. Before you get on board. Don't overeat. And rest well.
Bring a bottle of lemonade on board. Lemonade will eliminate your nausea.
Ok, i love to fish. I fish almost every weekend. Lately, i've been taking my boat out to the salt and fishing local waters...

One problem i have is that I get seasick. When i used to do overnights, a few times in the summer, i would wear the seasick patch and that would help.

However, i'm looking to start fishing the local so cal waters on my small alum boat a lot more, and i don't want to drug up every time i go out.

Out of the last 3 trips, i yaked once, seasick once, and one time i was fine.

The more I go out, does my body adjust and get better? Or is this how its going to be forever...

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Until you really believe that you won't get sea sick and stop convincing yourself that you're going to be ,you will get seasick. seasickness is something that virtually every human being can overcome if they're on a boat long enough. it won't kill you and of eventually your body just as OK I give up this is the new normal.

I've spent over 2000 days at sea in probably 350 to 500 of those working on sport fishing boats and the rest of them riding sport boats or private boats and the funny part is fishermen who get seasick almost never ....no let me be clear .... never get seasick in the middle of a hot tuna bite and the ones that were sick will suddenly have the life come back in their eyes or color looks better and they're happy and smiling and cured of being the slightest bit seasick ...its the magic of the human mind.
Here is an example. excuse me if you recognize yourself but my son had some friends come out on the last boat I worked on and one of them was convinced he was going to get seasick and sure enough he did. ....was the flattest day we had all summer. one foot swell...5knots max wind all day on the boat now called the tribute

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver/Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Some people have inner ear vestibular problems and they will never be likely to overcome this condition without surgery, which might not help in the end after all.

Reactions: jer dog