"Delicious Bass"
Nov 4, 2003
O.C.
Visit site
Name
Warren
Boat
13ft Whaler
Appreciate the info, any chance your pharmacy sells this?

I’ve always been hesitant because my union does random drug tests and I don’t want to risk my job.

I get sick more than half of the time I get on the water. It doesn't matter if I use pharmaceuticals or not. I am a pharmacist, btw. I've gotten sick when it looks like a lake. Needless to say, I keep going because I love to fish. However, on Friday 4/5/19 I went on the San Diego for the first trip of the season and decided to not premedicate or use the Transderm Scop patch. I decided to try CBD (cannabidiol) oil. My life will never be the same!

I have been reading about the various uses for CBD and decided to try it for motion sickness. Within 30 minutes of heading out, I started getting the tell-tale signs that I was heading for the rail. With me, it usually starts as burping. Once the burping starts, I have never been able to avoid hurling over the side at some point. I took a dose of the CBD and was shocked that the burping resolved. Later that day when we stopped to rockfish, I started feeling ill again. I took another dose and the burps & nausea resolved again.

We caught limits of yellowtail that day, but I am more fired up about the CBD than the fish! I will never go on a boat again without it!

For those of you that are unfamiliar with CBD, it is not psychoactive at all. If you find a good hemp source, there shouldn't be detectable levels of THC. It is perfectly legal. I used the oral drops, but you can also get vape pens, edibles, etc.

Reactions: Ashearer76

Msz. B

Dec 12, 2018
Oro Valley, AZ
Name
Barbara Campbell
Boat
S/V Blue Chablis
Stugeron Forte - that's something I learned about from other sailors when Soup and I were live aboard cruisers (for 14 years) in Mexico...some years ago. At that time, it was not available in the US but was in Canada and Mx. It was like a miracle drug. It would interrupt the ss (seasickness) even after started. The only side effect I had from it was it made me ravenously hungry. Soup would come top side for his half of nite watch and know immediately if I had an episode of ss cuz the cockpit would be littered with wrappers from snacks etc. All the good stuff would be gone and he would have the dregs. Good fella, though, never complained.

jim isbell

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
I get sick more than half of the time I get on the water. It doesn't matter if I use pharmaceuticals or not. I am a pharmacist, btw. I've gotten sick when it looks like a lake. Needless to say, I keep going because I love to fish. However, on Friday 4/5/19 I went on the San Diego for the first trip of the season and decided to not premedicate or use the Transderm Scop patch. I decided to try CBD (cannabidiol) oil. My life will never be the same!

I have been reading about the various uses for CBD and decided to try it for motion sickness. Within 30 minutes of heading out, I started getting the tell-tale signs that I was heading for the rail. With me, it usually starts as burping. Once the burping starts, I have never been able to avoid hurling over the side at some point. I took a dose of the CBD and was shocked that the burping resolved. Later that day when we stopped to rockfish, I started feeling ill again. I took another dose and the burps & nausea resolved again.

We caught limits of yellowtail that day, but I am more fired up about the CBD than the fish! I will never go on a boat again without it!

For those of you that are unfamiliar with CBD, it is not psychoactive at all. If you find a good hemp source, there shouldn't be detectable levels of THC. It is perfectly legal. I used the oral drops, but you can also get vape pens, edibles, etc.
Thanks for this tip, I was not aware. I am curious re. two things though: where do you get "CBD"?, and why did you not take the Scopolamine? I don't like the patch in that it takes longer to get into the system than the old tablets that they used to have--which they don't have any more. But do keep in mind, if you can get someone to write an open script, a compounding pharmacy can still make up a small batch of Scopolamine in the tablet form.

Thomas Lim

Aug 31, 2018
Los angeles
Name
Thomas
Boat
I wish

Same here. I get seasick and the smell of bacon cooking in the galley in the morning or the diesel smell alone gets me going. I’m a regular smoker but didn’t sMoke prior or during my fishing trips thinking it would make me more sick. HOWEVER, once I decided I’d give it a try, it changed everything. I don’t even take drummamine or bonine or any of that. Just Mary J and it works wonders. I smoke before and during the trip. If you’re on a boat where they won’t allow you to smoke just get a wax/vape pen.

Jcool100

Jan 13, 2018
Los Angeles
Name
Jeannette
Boat
N/a
Ok, i love to fish. I fish almost every weekend. Lately, i've been taking my boat out to the salt and fishing local waters...

One problem i have is that I get seasick. When i used to do overnights, a few times in the summer, i would wear the seasick patch and that would help.

However, i'm looking to start fishing the local so cal waters on my small alum boat a lot more, and i don't want to drug up every time i go out.

Out of the last 3 trips, i yaked once, seasick once, and one time i was fine.

The more I go out, does my body adjust and get better? Or is this how its going to be forever...
Ok, i love to fish. I fish almost every weekend. Lately, i've been taking my boat out to the salt and fishing local waters...

One problem i have is that I get seasick. When i used to do overnights, a few times in the summer, i would wear the seasick patch and that would help.

However, i'm looking to start fishing the local so cal waters on my small alum boat a lot more, and i don't want to drug up every time i go out.

The more I go out, does my body adjust and get better? Or is this how its going to be forever...

Jcool100

Jan 13, 2018
Los Angeles
Name
Jeannette
Boat
N/a
Ask your Dr. to prescribe Promethazine. I have tried everything also. Last trip I took the Promethazine every 3 to 4 hours and wore the pressure point wristbands. It can make you drowsy, but i don't care about that. Don't drink a lot of fluid before leaving on your trip and eat a Cliff bar.

Pappy

May 19, 2004
Escondido
Name
Phil
Boat
Not big enough

As I got older and having to take certain meds I noticed that I started getting nauseous. After some research I seen the Stugeren or Venoxil pills the Norwegian fisherman use. You can only get Venoxil in Mexico. You get 60 tablets, 75mg for about $2.50 USD. I dont get any side effects like dry mouth. I take one at night before I go to bed and one in the morning an hour before getting on the boat.

mx56462.jpg

Reactions: Groper

Allen Rice

Cranefish
May 21, 2019
West covina
Name
Allen Rice
Boat
N/A
I, too, am prone to seasickness. Dramamine and bonines get my head spinning and dry mouth and dry heaves. I would be afraid to est anything because I would throw up.

Through my research and development & experiences I always take with me crackers and Gatorade for dehydration. I've discovered that Walmart brand equate version of anti sea sick pills ,which cost less than $2 a pack works GREAT. I take one the night before the trip,one in the morning and one an hour before the trip. I swear by them and tell all my puking buddies my technique. It's been a long time since I've been REALLY sea sick. About the only time I do puke is when I'm fishing on a panga but once I do(and to even now that's seldom), it's out of my system and I feel much better afterwards again. So crackers, Gatorade and equate is my remedy. And I'm not afraid to eat on the boat anymore...lol.

Last edited:

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
As a follow up, that product is also Rx, and back to needing a doctor's note to buy it
WRONG.... GREAT NEWS for those of you who get sea sick,
KWELLS and kwells for kids is now being sold on E-bay.

There are lots of things that can make you get sick when your on the water, BUT if you suffer from getting sea sick it is a problem with your inner ear, Kids have problems with their ears and are subject to ear infections more than adults and they may "out grow it", this doesn't happen with adults. I never got sea sick, ever, no matter what I did or ate never even felt bad once in a while, I was that asshole who would be smoking a cigar and eating a burger while people were dropping all around me and just like some of the assholes on here all I would say was "get over it." Then about 15 yrs ago I got a really bad ear infection, even lost the hearing in one ear, ever since then I will get sick every time i am on the water, even in the bay. I still fished, i would just man up and deal with it and my friends thought i was nuts, I tried everything anyone ever suggested except scopace and nothing worked, then I tried Kwells, same ingredients as scopace but only half as much. The big difference is that you can let Kwells dissolve in your mouth and can take it after you are getting sick and it still works, scopace was probably like that too but now you can only get it in capsules and that doesn't do it. Kwells... you can now get it on E-bay.

Mnico

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 1, 2014
Encinitas, CA
Name
Mike Nicoletti
Boat
pending
Always got sick since i was a kid and Bonine was the only thing that worked for me (starting at least 12 hours before leaving the dock). I recently got Kwells on the advice of this forum and have yet to try it.

Question: Anyone ever tried 2 different types of medication (bonine early then Kwells on the water) or is that asking for trouble?

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Always got sick since i was a kid and Bonine was the only thing that worked for me (starting at least 12 hours before leaving the dock). I recently got Kwells on the advice of this forum and have yet to try it.

Question: Anyone ever tried 2 different types of medication (bonine early then Kwells on the water) or is that asking for trouble?
Its never a good thing to mix your meds... they may both prevent motion sickness but mau do it different ways, you could make one or the other or both ineffective.

take two kwells a half hour before you will be on the water, let the dissolve in your mouth. If you haven't used them before give them a try, you may have a new sea sick med

They will work taking them after you have started to get sick, but why do that? trust me it is much better to feel good from the get go and stay that way all day

Reactions: Groper and jer dog

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
You can try Scopace. It's similar to the patch, but in pill form and shorter acting... LOL
just got my Transderm-Scop 72hr 1 Mg/3days Dis patch Rx renewed today - first i'm wondering if the same medication asScopace

second i'm wondering if there is a benefit to removing the patch (after a day trip) and washing off the area to stop the medication

Vs taking a pill form and not being able to stop the medication early over the three days or so it works

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
just got my patch Rx renewed today - first i'm wondering if the same medication

second i'm wondering if there is a benefit to removing the patch (after a day trip) and washing off the area to stop the medication

Vs taking a pill form and not being able to stop the medication early over the three days or so it works
That is why I hated the Patch, I only do the Capsule
form from A Compound RX, I just take one when
I get on the Boat , then only take it,
when I start feeling like Crap,
some times I double up, then I'm fine.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
That is why I hated the Patch, I only do the Capsule
form from A Compound RX, I just take one when
I get on the Boat , then only take it,
when I start feeling like Crap,
some times I double up, then I'm fine.
the patch actually works for me (if i had a free 16 day trip but no patches, i would pass on the trip)

my point was - if the Transderm-Scop patch and the Scopace pill are the same medication - i can remove the patch after a day trip and stop the medication from administering the last two days

maybe i should read up on my comparison before asking the question in case they are not the same medication

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
the patch actually works for me (if i had a free 16 day trip but no patches, i would pass on the trip)

my point was - if the Transderm-Scop patch and the Scopace pill are the same medication - i can remove the patch after a day trip and stop the medication from administering the last two days

maybe i should read up on my comparison before asking the question in case they are not the same medication
that why I quit using them, because they are A time release thing, and that Scares me, because you
can't control It like the Pill.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
ok, the Transderm-Scop patch and the Scopace pill use the same medication

the patch is a 3-day medicine - the Scopace pill (discontinued in 2011) is a 4-8hr dosage

(according to this website)

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
that why I quit using them, because they are A time release thing, and that Scares me, because you
can't control It like the Pill.
I just Pick up Another Prescription
this morning ,
and Rivers Edge has moved, and they are back at
the Old Stevens RX Location,
and its now called Mesa Verde Pharmacy,
at 1525 E Mesa Verde Dr ,
Costa Mesa, ca 92626 ,
# 1-714-884-3574

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
ok, the Transderm-Scop patch and the Scopace pill use the same medication

the patch is a 3-day medicine - the Scopace pill (discontinued in 2011) is a 4-8hr dosage

(according to this website)
Yes, "Hope" Pharmaceuticals no longer make the tablet form of the drug--BUT if you can get a prescription--good luck by the way--a "compounding pharmacy" can make you up a small batch. I know this for a fact, I have some of the tablets right now by going that route. The problem is finding a Doctor who will write the prescription. My Kaiser Doctors, for example, will only write a script for the patch, in part because only the patch is available in Kaiser pharmacies. The other reason is that this drug is now used, a a powerful "date rape" drug. So no one wants to touch helping you get your hands on this drug--can't blame em.

Reactions: jer dog

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
avoid getting sea sick stay the blank on land...

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Yes, "Hope" Pharmaceuticals no longer make the tablet form of the drug--BUT if you can get a prescription--good luck by the way--a "compounding pharmacy" can make you up a small batch. I know this for a fact, I have some of the tablets right now by going that route. The problem is finding a Doctor who will write the prescription. My Kaiser Doctors, for example, will only write a script for the patch, in part because only the patch is available in Kaiser pharmacies. The other reason is that this drug is now used, a a powerful "date rape" drug. So no one wants to touch helping you get your hands on this drug--can't blame em.
The price of having fun , went up,
I paid $120.00 for 30 capsules,
This morning. Ouch .

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
avoid getting sea sick stay the blank on land...
Can't argue with Gary on that--it is a FACT. And lots of people who get sick do just that. Years ago, over 100 miles out, I got so sick--you know the old saying 'thought I was gonna die and afraid I woudn't". Yet, 40 years later, I go all the time, and use Scopolamine, get dry mouth and never get sick. My hot tip is very simple, if you have to use "the patch" stick this shit on the night before, if you wake up with dry mouth, you are good to go. Best product I have ever used.

Reactions: gecsr1

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
I paid $120.00 for 30 capsules,
This morning. Ouch .
i've paid about $100 for four patches (costco) as long as i can remember (going back to the '90s) as recently as a couple times over the past two years

just renewed prescription and they filled w/ generic at around $40 (four patches)

...My hot tip is very simple, if you have to use "the patch" stick this shit on the night before, if you wake up with dry mouth, you are good to go...
worth repeating ... instructions for patch call out five hours before you get on boat ... does not work so well for me if I miss that window (dry mouth is a good indicator)

Last edited: